Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Diesel Power!
Lawnmower

posted on 20/1/05 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Diesel Power!

(oops, will have to retype this)

anyone know of any decent and preferably cheaper diesel donor engines?

Diesels have a shed load more torque for equivalent powere ouput than petrols, and they are less likely to blow up, always a bonus in an accident!

bmw like in the latest series 3 is supposed to be good- a bit pricey i expect

the vauxhall 1.7 dti not sporty, but probably fairly cheap now.
(~77bhp at 4.5k revs but your in the red at 5k , 135lb/ft toque, 0-60 ~17secs, reliable )

but can it be tweeked a LOT?

Advice, discussion and ridicule welcomed

[Edited on 20/1/05 by Lawnmower]

stevebubs

posted on 20/1/05 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
I think SSC built a diesel Stylus...may be worth giving them a shout
stephen_gusterson

posted on 20/1/05 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
the bmw 3 series diesel is a fantastic engine

150hp and more torque than a 330i.

but as you say, would cost a bomb unless you can wait 15 years

atb

steve

MikeR

posted on 20/1/05 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
what about the latest golf diesel, they have been round 3 or 4 years now and push out 150bhp....

Or the vauxhall 2 litre. I think that was 120ish bhp. Biggest problems would be weight and where to put the intercooler & turbo etc....

Westfield did do 1 car, called it the weisel i think.

flak monkey

posted on 20/1/05 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
The Ford Focus TDCi engine (1.8 litre) comes in 3 guises. The top one being 115bhp. Loadsa torque (250Nm ish). The focus' with those in are quicker 30-60mph than the ST170... Its a good engine...may be a tad expensive though!

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Peteff

posted on 21/1/05 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
You don't need torque unless you are pulling the weight of a diesel engine round. They usually weigh as much as a small village. Unless you're building a locost delivery vehicle please abandon this train of thought. Nobody does tuning gear at locost prices for diesel engines and they aren't cheap to buy if they are worth having.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

MikeR

posted on 21/1/05 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
hold on tho........

loads of torque so slap a really low ratio diff on it and watch it fly..........

lets not hold someone back if they want to do it

Simon

posted on 21/1/05 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
And then there's the exhaust, right next to your head, and some incredibly poisonous fumes.

Then there's the tractor impersonations!

ATB

Simon

Bob C

posted on 21/1/05 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
Westfield advertised a diesel '7' in the recent past (about 8 years ago) don't think it caugt on (I recall somebody claiming to have the demonstrator)
I've got a turbo diesel ordinary car & sure it makes the power but the power band is only about 8rpm wide, & from clarkson's comments the new ones are just the same.
My V8 makes within 10% of peak torque from 1500 to 4000 revs - I expect my pug diesel makes within 10% of peak torque from 2400 to 2700revs.
It goes OK & the economy is brilliant. But it's nowhere near as nice to drive.
Cheers
Bob

white130d

posted on 21/1/05 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
For what?

Is this diesel for a Landie, or for a LoCost?

If for the Landie go with a Isuzu 2.8 tdi. I have used 3 of them in conversion and can't say enough good things about them...

David.

"There's only 2 things that money can't buy, and that's true love and home grown tomatos" Guy Clark

flak monkey

posted on 21/1/05 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
One problem if you used a diesel engine would be getting the torque down onto the road without losing traction. Most people will tell you a Locost will spin its wheels in 3rd...with a petrol engine. Our 1.4 tonne focus with that TDCi engine will wheel spin in 2nd...easily (with traction control, which i notice they have stopped putting as standard on the new ones...thats just silly)

David

Sera

chris.russell

posted on 21/1/05 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
The Ford Focus TDCi engine (1.8 litre) comes in 3 guises. The top one being 115bhp. Loadsa torque (250Nm ish). The focus' with those in are quicker 30-60mph than the ST170... Its a good engine...may be a tad expensive though!

David

I drive the 115 focus TDCi, I knew it was quick (for a diesel) - but quicker than a st170 30-60 is cool. looks like i will have to go and find a st170 to "play" with!

...i wonder what it would be like if it was chiped, 30% more torque and 30% more horses.....

Mines a pint

brunocrossley

posted on 21/1/05 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
How about a Montego Turbo Diesel? Complete donor cars really cheap and RWD adaptor kits easily available.
Most diesels only rev to 4K5 ish. Just pull a higher diff ratio.
You could try a tweaked TD5 - 230BHP and they howl with the cat removed. Try 'Twisted Animation'

Regards Mark

donut

posted on 21/1/05 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
There was a chap who used a Citroen Diesel 1.9 turbo. He said it had shed loads of torque and was very quick. I think the gearbox was from an LDV van or something....all nice, cheap and available!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 21/1/05 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Another diesel car fact...the Golf GTi diesel is faster than a petrol GTi... not 0-60, but mid range (30-60) its quite a bit quicker...

Sera

Lawnmower

posted on 21/1/05 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
This Golf?
http://carsearch.yahoo.co.uk/pdb/product.jsp?catId=100354123&pid=12258796

i know its not one of the newer PD engines, but these might be a bit more available?

also won't fatter tyres help?

[Edited on 21/1/05 by Lawnmower]

gazza285

posted on 21/1/05 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't touch a VW diesel engine. Cracked heads from new and not too hot on gaskets either.

Diesels also tend to be a lot deeper than petrol engines too, as the bottom ends need to be stronger.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Lawnmower

posted on 21/1/05 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
If i had the money spare then I would consider this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10372&item=4520333534&rd=1

stephen_gusterson

posted on 22/1/05 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
only if its the top model golf - lower cost ones are a wanky 75hp!!!!

something like 48% of new cars are now diesel. I think that the negative people that express bad things about diesels will soon be in the minority opinion. when you are in the car you cant hear the engine - you just benefit from heaps of toque, a nice powerful lazy motor and masses of mpg.

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
what about the latest golf diesel, they have been round 3 or 4 years now and push out 150bhp....

Or the vauxhall 2 litre. I think that was 120ish bhp. Biggest problems would be weight and where to put the intercooler & turbo etc....

Westfield did do 1 car, called it the weisel i think.

[Edited on 22/1/05 by stephen_gusterson]

Hellfire

posted on 22/1/05 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
And then there's the exhaust, right next to your head, and some incredibly poisonous fumes.

Then there's the tractor impersonations!

ATB

Simon

That's a little controversial isn't it?
Apparently petrol engines push out more toxic fumes, just that you can't see them. I'm impartial either way - but I prefer a smooth petrol engine than an oil burner anyday.

Granted, the diesel has more torque - but for a locost...? I think you would loose a lot of the essence of what it stands for.

Personally I'd stand well clear of diesel engines, but each to their own. If that's what floats your boat then go for it!

MikeRJ

posted on 22/1/05 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
only if its the top model golf - lower cost ones are a wanky 75hp!!!!

something like 48% of new cars are now diesel. I think that the negative people that express bad things about diesels will soon be in the minority opinion. when you are in the car you cant hear the engine - you just benefit from heaps of toque, a nice powerful lazy motor and masses of mpg.

But modern powerfull turbo diesles are far from "lazy" if you want a bit of performance. They have a stupidly narrow power band which means you have to really stir the box to get the best out of it. I always found them slightly dissapointing to drive, the turbo gets going and you start to get a nice push in the back and suddenly it's all over and time for the next gear.

Granted, on the motorway where you don't change speed too much they are a lot better.

Lawnmower

posted on 22/1/05 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

But modern powerfull turbo diesles are far from "lazy" if you want a bit of performance. They have a stupidly narrow power band which means you have to really stir the box to get the best out of it. I always found them slightly dissapointing to drive, the turbo gets going and you start to get a nice push in the back and suddenly it's all over and time for the next gear.

Granted, on the motorway where you don't change speed too much they are a lot better.

I hear what your saying, and to a certain extent i agree.
I drive a 2002 Vauxall astra 1.7dti estate
which has a rediculaous lag between flooring the pedal and the turbo kicking in, just as like you say you change gear.
Gives a very slow start from getting on a roundabout and when overtaking

My colleagues however have both got VW golf and a Passats estate, which both have the 130bhp engine. Have not driven them, but they say its just like having instant power, and the golf will beat boyracers everytime

Imagine that engine in a car the 3rd of the weight!

On the plus side my car lease runs out in march

btw will fat tyres on the drive wheels help make use of that torque? or am i getting confused?

[Edited on 22/1/05 by Lawnmower]

phelpsa

posted on 22/1/05 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
The Volvo V70 D5 engine is great. 165bhp standard and a £300 chip away from 185bhp. Also more torque than you could ever use at once.

It is quicker than the Scooby 50-70!!

Will tow 2ts aswell.

Adam

flak monkey

posted on 22/1/05 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Theres no turbo lag on our Focus... its just instant power. You certainly dont have to wait for the turbo to kick in.

Sera

MikeR

posted on 23/1/05 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
I've driven the volvo and been impressed. 5 up on the motorway doing 80mph (not in this country obviously officer) and we returned just over 40mpg.

Around town........ well first gear is a bit useless as you are only in it for a couple of seconds but it certainly shifts and overtaking is ........ quick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.