Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MX5 hesitation, Boost Sensor hose
JonBowden

posted on 28/11/19 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
MX5 hesitation, Boost Sensor hose

My MX5 MK 2.5 1.8 VVT is hesitating and sometimes missing a cylinder mostly when cold.
the mileage is low (<50k)
I have done a compression test (all ok)
I have changed the plugs, leads and coil packs (standard advice for this type of issue)
But still the problem persists.
Any ideas?

I had a good look around under the bonnet and found a sensor called a "Boost Sensor", it seems to be a pressure sensor.
The car is not turbocharged
The hose to this sensor has been cut off.
Does anyone know exactly where it should connect?
I suspect that this may have something to do with my hesitation.

Description
Description

[Edited on 28/11/19 by JonBowden]

[Edited on 28/11/19 by JonBowden]

Jon

miskit

posted on 29/11/19 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Pretty sure you are talking about the atmospheric pressure sensor - I seem to remember it is labelled boost sensor, it does not have a hose as it is just sensing atmospheric pressure!

When I stripped the wiring loom for my conversion I discovered that it has an OBDII port - think it was the first one. if you can get live data out with a scan tool that might give you a clue as with an intermittent problem you are a bit in the dark.
Any one of the inputs to the ECU could have a bad connection or be putting out defective data - Cam,Crank, Temp, MAF, engine speed... or it could be a faulty injector, an air leak, stuck VVT actuator etc.

For a wild guess, as it is when cold and looking at the time of your post, do you have the right spec, clean, oil in it ? The VVT uses oil pressure for actuation, thick or very old might give you issues.

perksy

posted on 29/11/19 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
As its mainly when the engine is Cold, Coolant temp sensor or its wiring/connector?
JonBowden

posted on 30/11/19 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
It's definitely got fresh correct oil in it.
The boost pressure sensor has a hose attached but it seems to have been cut.
The manual diagrams indicate that it should go to the inlet manifold somewhere - but give no indication of where.
I could do with seeing a similar car.
I have seen it suggested that the pipe may be cut as a temporary fix for something being gummed up from the EGR.
I have a cheap diagnostic unit (EOBD MS309 OBD2 OBDII Car Fault Code Reader from eBay), it indicates no faults

Jon

MikeRJ

posted on 2/12/19 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure it's been cut? According to this forum post the hose connects to a plastic Y junction and it's very easy to accidentally disconnect it whilst changing the oil filter.

[Edited on 2/12/19 by MikeRJ]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.