Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tyre speed ratings
myke pocock

posted on 24/3/20 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Tyre speed ratings

Do tyres with different speed ratings have slightly different handling characteristics? I ask as my Ford Kuga has a V and a W on the front axle. I had two new tyres fitted on the front when I bought the car by the garage then hit a bottle on a cattle grid. Ripped the side wall and had an identical tyre fitted but the MOT today identified that the ratings are different.
cliftyhanger

posted on 24/3/20 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
I guess it might make a tiny difference, but no more than different brands.
Was it a fail or advisory?

snapper

posted on 24/3/20 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
It only matters on a tin top if it’s a performance car
For a standard tug the speed rating must be higher than the cars advertised top speed.
People have said “well the U.K. speed is 70. The speed rating is also a load rating relating to performance.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

adithorp

posted on 25/3/20 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
You're highly unlikely to notice a difference ( we see mismatched speed ratings all the time at work).
A V tyre is rated to 149mph and a W to 168mph; you'll be running at 50% of the capacity of the tyre. If love to know why manufacturers are specifying an SUV with a tyre rated for "exotic sports cars" (according to some lists)

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

coyoteboy

posted on 25/3/20 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going to counter the others here - the sidewalls and plies are often different and having bought a replacement set of exactly the same tyre but a different speed rating, I can confirm they do feel fundamentally different. Whether you care or not - who knows, if it's 10% different, do you notice a 10% change in shock performance on one side? I don't like asymmetric handling on top of all the other variables out there

myke pocock

posted on 26/3/20 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting point, thanks. Some of the replies I have received on here and other sites make reference to the speed rating of the tyres. I am fully aware they are different. However to achive the difference in speed rating and therefore capability of the tyre there must be a difference in the construction of the tyre and that is what my question realy referes to. Surely that could make a difference to the way the tyre performs. I will shortly be getting two new tyres and will fit them on the front and then compare how it handles.

[Edited on 26/3/20 by myke pocock]

[Edited on 26/3/20 by myke pocock]

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/3/20 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
You may not notice any difference as they could just use stronger fibers which is where the strength at high speed comes from.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.