Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Making Battery Leads - Advice Please
John P

posted on 16/4/20 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Making Battery Leads - Advice Please

Hi,

I just wondered if anyone had made up their own battery leads.

I need 5 of varying lengths with terminals to suit different sized studs and had intended to get these pre-made off one of the e-bay suppliers.

Trouble is it’s a bit difficult to establish the exact lengths and, in this application, I can’t easily loose any excess cable. Auto Electric Supplies suggested making my own but, at £60, the plier type crimp tooling is quite expensive for just this one use. They do sell a press tool for £18 (See https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/1082/category/87 ) which can apparently simply be struck with a hammer but this sounds like it would be difficult to control so has anyone used one of these?

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

John.

steve m

posted on 16/4/20 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
I found the making of them very easy,

Strip the cable, put some heat wrap on, put the crimp on, and give the crimp two heafty blows with a mallet and cold chisel
each side

I, but not essential, wound up some solder and put that in the crimp, and with a blowtorch heated it all up, after crimping

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

daviep

posted on 16/4/20 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
I use a homemade version of the hammer type tool which works perfectly, the £18 tool look considerably better then my effort so I would imagine it will be good. I'll try and get a picture of mine .

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

cliftyhanger

posted on 16/4/20 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
You could use that in a vice rather than hitting it.
I wonder if a vice mounted DIY crimp is possible. Just thinking about what to use as a "die". Maybe a nut cut in half?

peter030371

posted on 16/4/20 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
Used the hammer type in a vice and it did a really good job, I would not hesitate to do it again.
ianhurley20

posted on 16/4/20 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
I used one of these for many of the crimps including battery leads. At the time it cost me £18 inc del. It works really well, I've also seen it used on the project Binky series

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8T-Hydraulic-Crimper-Tool-Kit-Tube-Cable-Wire-Crimping-Terminals-Lugs-Battery/202523359695?hash=item2f275539cf:g:23IAAOSwnF 9Y7eZU

[Edited on 16/4/20 by ianhurley20]

theduck

posted on 16/4/20 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Used a vice here and then some solder just to bolts and braces it.
big_wasa

posted on 16/4/20 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Just made all the cables for mine with the vice mounted tool. Nice and easy.
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 16/4/20 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
I wanted to make a few so I bought an eBay Chinese crimping tool. Make a couple and it seems great.

Similar one here.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/28037698469?iid=362961908033

They also do a manual version for a few pounds less.

ianhurley20

posted on 16/4/20 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
I wanted to make a few so I bought an eBay Chinese crimping tool. Make a couple and it seems great.

Similar one here.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/28037698469?iid=362961908033

They also do a manual version for a few pounds less.

Yup - thats the one I used

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/4/20 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah I got one of those hydraulic tools too for when I was making the landy battery cables that also went to the winch. Worked perfectly but has never been used since and is just hanging up in the garage, might use it again but probably not...

[Edited on 16/4/20 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 16/4/20 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Would something like this do the job, save you some work?

Link

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Bluemoon

posted on 16/4/20 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Bought tool as I all ready has cable for a caravan motor mover not hydraulic but similar idea. Cable can be expensive so if you have some maywell work out cheaper to make your own. Watch out for cheap rubish tube connector lugs better off getting some from CPC, also cheap Chinese cables may not be copper but copper plated...
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 16/4/20 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Yeah I got one of those hydraulic tools too for when I was making the landy battery cables that also went to the winch. Worked perfectly but has never been used since and is just hanging up in the garage, might use it again but probably not...

[Edited on 16/4/20 by Mr Whippy]

Spent a bit more than the Cheese eBay hobbies, but bought a hydraulic crimper in similar style, mainly for my Defender rebuild. Has since been used for another 4 Landies, and will be used again - useful too to have (also does handbrake cables).

If you can post the cable and ring terminals to me, I'd be happy to crimp ends on and return to you - otherwise I have a small selection of ring crimps here if you haven't got any!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

02GF74

posted on 16/4/20 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
In an ideal world we would have the tool but for making a set of leads once ever 10 years is it worth it?

Take a lump of steel and cut a v slot in the side. Place the crimp termination in the v with a short dowel on the other side. Put the lot in a vice.

The V stops the crimp connector from splaying out and the dowel reduces the crimp area thus gripping the cable.

It's a bit fiddly but is ad good as what the tool would do.

rusty nuts

posted on 16/4/20 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Up until recently I used to have a nice heavy sewage block that was perfect for crimping battery cables I would assemble the connector on the cable and lay it in one of the grooves then using a blunt chisel and a hammer give the connector a clout. Can be done using a heavy piece of angle iron as well. Never had any problems
paulc

posted on 16/4/20 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
I have that £18 tool.

I had similar reservations about using a Hammer.
So I put the tool in my vice and squeezed it up that way. Worked great.

britishtrident

posted on 16/4/20 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Works great really solid V shaped crimp even on 0 gauge cable but needs a big hammer

crimper
crimper

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

lsdweb

posted on 17/4/20 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
I've got the hydraulic tool - wasn't expensive and I use it infrequently, plus I do battery cables and stuff for mates so it pays for itself in coffee :-)
Mike Wood

posted on 17/4/20 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
Merlin Motorsport can crimp battery cables to length: https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/s/electrical/battery-cable-and-eyelets

Cheers
Mike

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.