Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CBR1000F Locost Improvements
Ian2812

posted on 25/3/21 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
Absolute cracking job. It's fueling the fire in me to go get another one...
Wife is not going to be happy...

Edwardo

posted on 12/4/21 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Quite a bit of progress over the last couple of weeks.

Firstly - made the new rear trailing arm brackets from 50x50x3 box section - drilled and welded in place :-

(Hadn't finished the welding fully in these first 2 pics)

Finished and red oxide primed :-

The outer seat belt mount points were nearly 3" rearwards and of the inners and over 1" lower. Also, my new taller suspension brackets interfered with them. So bought some anchor plates and re-located them. Much better position now and only 1/2"-1" out compared to the inner mountings and almost the same level vertically now:-

The steel floor is welded in fully (to a fashion) - and a previous owner had welded some 5mm thick bar across the floor to mount the seat belt runners - which is good. However - he only attached the 5mm rectangular bars to the frame at the 'outer' chassis rails and left the inners with a 3-4mm gap?? :-

So I grabbed some thick offcuts and bridged the gap to the center chassis rails on both sides so its at least tied in fully :-

I then started to scratch my head to think of a reasonably neat way to redo the roll bar rear steadies. I had cut off the roll hoop completely and also cutoff all the 'barely attached' box section so was left with this sat in position :-

I decided that as it was just a support brace - I'd get it tied in to a chassis member as soon as practicable. So bought some 45 degree CDS mandrel bent tube sections from an Ebay shop called "Tubebender". After I paid - realized they were just a couple of miles away from me so went over and collected them.

The following night - I ended up doing this :-

Welded the hoop back in position - and the new braces to rear diagonal dropper :-

And ended up with this - which is nicely out of the way for the new Aluminium fuel tank :-

I'll be welding a couple of stiffening gusset plates to the L section on the ends of the braces tomorrow night to make sure its really nice and stiff.

Whilst I was over at the tube bender place - I mentioned that I need a new smaller dia bar forming to the profile of the new fibreglass rear panel for the top 'hoop'. They said that was no problem so I'll be dropping the rear panel off later this week for them to make the new bar to suit.

Once that's trimmed and welded in - hopefully that's all the repairs done (certainly at the rear end) - so can look to start getting the wishbones re-assembled after they've had new bushes pressed in

Edwardo

posted on 13/4/21 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Got the other bits of bracing/welding at the rear that I didn't have time for at the weekend done tonight.

Quick couple of gussets each side for the rear roll bar support brace

And made/fully welded in the new brace plates for the roll bar hoop platform

So that's the rear end nearly done - apart from the rear panel hoop :-

Arranged with the tube bender guy to drop the fibreglass rear panel off tomorrow lunchtime - so with a bit of luck could be back by the weekend and I can get it welded in and start painting the chassis gloss black

MikeR

posted on 14/4/21 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Just read through this and seen how much you've been charged for blasting. I'm gosmacked ......... and now going to try my local place. If that doesn't work i'll see if Rugby Shot Blast will head up the road to Hinckley!
Edwardo

posted on 14/4/21 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Just read through this and seen how much you've been charged for blasting. I'm gosmacked ......... and now going to try my local place. If that doesn't work i'll see if Rugby Shot Blast will head up the road to Hinckley!

It's a shame you didn't post this earlier as I was down there at lunchtime today and could have asked David for you.

I'm sure they wouldn't mind collecting from Hinckley for fuel cost.

They very kindly dropped off the blasted wishbones and trailing arms on Friday - so have been trialing the new shocks I got from 40inches which are soooo much of an improvement in appearance. Also, being properly valved for a bike engined kit is a massive bonus. Many thanks once again Dave for the full set of shocks

Once the new set of bushes arrive I'll be hitting up a local place with a press to replace them all - then get them painted and on the chassis.

Edwardo

posted on 25/4/21 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Picked up the new custom bent rear panel hoop last week - so got that fitted up and welded in this weekend.

Slapped a coat of red oxide on this evening. Getting close to being able to start painting the chassis black again

Edwardo

posted on 27/4/21 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Got a first coat of Dulux gloss black on tonight - was only a small tin so ran out but was surprised how far it went actually.

pmc_3

posted on 28/4/21 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Amazing what difference a coat of paint makes! Looking forward to seeing the reassembly start.
Edwardo

posted on 28/4/21 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pmc_3
Amazing what difference a coat of paint makes! Looking forward to seeing the reassembly start.

Me too - I know some enjoy it, but all this chassis sorting stuff is boring/tedious and painful for me tbh and I'd have much rather not had to do it

Got the delights of re-doing all the brake lines properly too soon which I'm not looking forward to either.

I am looking forward to re-doing all the wiring/dash/bodywork/lighting stuff though - so keep trying to focus on the end game of getting to that.

Got a guy making me a load of Carbon Fibre stuff for the rebuild too including :-

Front/back arches
Dash
Air scoop
Naca ducts
Side rail cappings

Hopefully should look nice with the yellow/black/carbon when its all done and make all the messy time consuming slog worthwhile!

MikeR

posted on 28/4/21 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Is the CF guy local?
Edwardo

posted on 28/4/21 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Is the CF guy local?

Not really unfortunately - Lincoln

Edwardo

posted on 28/4/21 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Really helpful chap though. Karl from KAD Fibreglass.

I wanted a set of these from him on Ebay - but they were too narrow for my 205 tyres on the 13" rims :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313447174047?hash=item48fae84f9f:g:KbcA AOSwiJRd6TWX

After asking him about it, he made a new mould and can now do a wide version

I believe he used to supply MK a couple of years ago.

roadrunner

posted on 28/4/21 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Great work. Really ploughing through it.
Your welding is a lot neater than mine.

Glad you've highlighted that chap from Lincoln. It's not that far from me.
Just been looking through his stuff.
I'll be sending some beer tokens his way.

dan8400

posted on 29/4/21 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Just read through this. Looks like you’re doing a lovely job. It’s a pain putting right what others have bodged, but at least you’ll know it’s done right this time. And you’ll know the car better than anyone going forward.

Keep up the good work, following with interest

Thanks
Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

Edwardo

posted on 29/4/21 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks both! Yeah it is time consuming getting through the boring bits to the interesting ones - but will keep at it!

Got the front part of the chassis painted black tonight. Will be flipping it over to do the underside bits tomorrow night.

Then soul destroyingly got to repeat the whole exercise again for the second coat. Also have to clean the axle up and repaint with hammerite this weekend too.

Still haven't taken the wishbones to have the new bushes pressed in yet. Will probably have to be Tuesday now.

pmc_3

posted on 15/7/21 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Made any more progress with the car?
Edwardo

posted on 16/7/21 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pmc_3
Made any more progress with the car?

Yeah - been a while since I posted up on here. I did get the car back rolling :-

Then the young mechanic lad at the end of the road bought a Mazda RX8 as a road legal track car type of project and kept it on our drive whilst he was doing the sills and getting it roadworthy again (no pics of this one sadly).

This then led to him picking up a couple more - (the blue one just for parts as the shell is rotten as a carrot) and leaving them on our drive :-

I love the noise the rotary engines make - and very-very foolishly took the first blue one (not pictured) out for a drive.

That was it then - I was hooked and decided I wanted one for myself lol!

So ended up picking up this nice black example up for way less than a grand :-

Engine in it had the infamous 'hot-start' problem of course for that money - but I was assured the engine in the blue scrapper on the drive was a cracker so we set to swapping them out :-

Got it back in and it starts and runs much better now.

Still got a few teething issues to sort with the front brakes binding on slightly and the exhaust leaking at the manifold joint making it ridiculously antisocial - but should be sorted and on the road in a week or 2.

This then gives me plenty of time over the winter to sort the Locost properly and at my own speed instead of trying to rush it and get it back on the road for this summer.

At least I'll have some 10,000 rpm screaming engine/flame spitting rear wheel drive fun whilst it's progressing

40inches

posted on 17/7/21 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Have you seen this thread Tony? http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/36/viewthread.php?tid=181522&page=2
The interesting bits start near the bottom of the first page, by 'boosted'

pmc_3

posted on 19/7/21 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Amazing what difference painting the chassis and some of the components makes, looks like a new build now!

RX8's do seem good value these days if you can find a good one.

Sanzomat

posted on 20/7/21 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Edwardo

Yeah - been a while since I posted up on here. I did get the car back rolling :-

I've just read through your build thread. All good stuff. Looking at that picture of your rolling chassis it did strike me that the steering tie rods look to be at a steep angle relative to the wishbone. Might just be the way the photo picks it up but if so it would give you pretty significant bump steer. Mine was a bit like that when I got it and had to move the rack all the way down/forward on the sloping mounting rail to cure the bump steer, in fact it had to go so far forward had to cut a notch out of the chassis upright to clear the pinion housing and plate it over. Also had to lengthen the steering column by about 75mm! The steering feels so much nicer now.

starterman

posted on 6/8/21 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
I would habe thought that once the engine etc is back in the front will be lower and the arms a lot more horizontal.
Edwardo

posted on 24/8/21 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry for the delay replying - the RX8 has been monopolizing any spare time I have up till now!

Got the RX running pretty well now after replacing all the binding brake calipers/lines and finally getting that troublesome leak between manifold and system sealed with several gaskets and plenty of exhaust paste. Traced the 'eternally lit' ABS light down to the completely severed brake light wiring in the boot lid. Also, the lack of any adjustment on the electric drivers seat turned out to be lots of coins stuck deep in and wedged into the rail runners!

So have finally started getting back to the jobs on the Locost rebuild

Popped the engine back in temporarily the other night. This was so the prop could be located correctly to position the new prop catcher plates. The prop sits across to the drivers side of the tunnel so the DANST catcher couldn't be used 'as-is'. I had to remove some material to one side which isn't ideal. I do have another pair of his prop catcher plates though so may well trim those to match and effectively double the thickness. Should help contain the prop movement if the front joint lets go anyway and I'd rather have one than not :-

I wanted to get the prop catcher fitted first so I could see exactly what space and positions are left to run the brake line/fuel line and wiring. So these will be the next jobs. Once they are done, the tunnel can be paneled back up.

Also - in answer to a previous question, I think it was a combination of the engine not being in and the odd angle of the picture - but with the 85Kg lump back in the steering arms are a lot better position :-

Will try and keep progress going again from now on and keep this updated.

Cheers
Tony

ReMan

posted on 24/8/21 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Good progress, well done.
I've got a set of this prop plates too which might go in, if I get any further before Stoneleigh

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Edwardo

posted on 16/3/22 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Well after what seems like another absolute age - I've finally managed to prod myself back into action with this rebuild!

I really hate the cold, so working in a freezing garage over the winter is never high on the priority list anyway - but the rx8 had been monopolizing any time/energy. Turns out the replacement engine was not much better than the original - so when the mot ran out end of Jan it was declared sorn until I can find a decent one to replace with. Means I can get back to this which is what was needed really.

Hit a bit of a wall with it due to needing the brake lines re-running. It's one of my least favorite things to do so had become a bit of mental block also sadly.

After having a tidy up in the garage - started doing some sketches for the brake line routes (the originals were horrendous and unsupported for almost the entire run front to back!).

Decided to tackle the rears first, so broke out the right angle drill and actually got some some clips drilled and fitted!

I'm gonna mock up the runs using the cheap(er) copper line you can see in the pics and then when they are a good fit/shape for the clips - copy them with the Kunifer.

Typically - as soon as I started, ran out of clips so have had to stop and wait for those to be delivered.

Popped the new ali tank in as well and have started working out where it needs to be positioned:-

I know it doesn't look a lot of progress - but for me its a great as I've now got the desire back again so can hopefully keep this updated and start to make some decent progress on the rebuild from now on

Cheers
Tony

Deckman001

posted on 17/3/22 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Tony,

While your looking at the fuel tank location, work out how to keep it located solidly so that when it gets tested it will pass with flying colours. Also work out fuel lines and anything else needed connected to it, like fuel gauge wiring and also install a permanent earth wire for it too.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.