Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Project 7-up
thetankwad

posted on 7/9/20 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Project 7-up

Hello!

Going to do a build diary here with a wee difference. Its all getting filmed!

The plan is to make a very budget MX5 based classic 7.

First stint of it was breaking up the MX5, episode can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zdq-m6xq7k

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zdq-m6xq7k[/youtube]

Seems the Youtube embed feature isnt working?

[Edited on 7/9/20 by thetankwad]

--Lets get down to Business!--

gremlin1234

posted on 7/9/20 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
you only need the "7zdq-m6xq7k" part of the link

thetankwad

posted on 7/9/20 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Superb, thanks for the help dude!

Bluemoon

posted on 7/9/20 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for posting... Good project lookng foward to the vids..
harmchar

posted on 7/9/20 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Subscribed also, this could be fun. Good luck with the build. Hope it goes smoother and quicker than mine. &#128077;
thetankwad

posted on 8/9/20 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys! Powering into Episode 2 now. We did a TVR resto shortly before which we put an episode a week out on. Understandably we may not hit that level of footage with this one but we hope to have some regular stuff on it!

James

posted on 8/9/20 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
subscribed. Looking forward to it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

christim

posted on 8/9/20 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Good stuff! Subscribed

Deckman001

posted on 8/9/20 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Great topic and video, will look forward to updates

Keep up the great work.

Jason

ianhurley20

posted on 10/9/20 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Very entertaining, look forward to the next episodes

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/9/20 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
One thing I'd say watching that rather heart stopping vid is put a block of soft wood on your axle stand pad between it and the bodywork or anything your else your lifting.

Metal on metal is very very slippery and there is no way I'd have went under the car as they had it there, worse still it was sitting at quite an angle too and the front stands right at their full extent, barely touching the car! Not trying to be critical but I've had a few scares over the years and cars fall faster than you can move out the way (and they don't always fall straight down either).

I know it's all very busy and exciting but just take a moment now and again, stand back and look at what your doing and think to yourself "is that safe??" So please use wood next time and we might get to the final episode

[Edited on 10/9/20 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
thetankwad

posted on 10/9/20 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks so much to all for the replies, glad this will be of interest.

Mr Whippy, I would never baulk at a safety comment, as you say often its an unobserved issue that can catch you out. That is a very good point and something I hadn't considered. Thank you for that, it will be remedied in future!

James

posted on 11/9/20 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
I used to know a guy who had his hand underneath a brake disc when the car came down so it was trapped between the disc and the concrete... that was fun!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

thetankwad

posted on 11/9/20 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
I used to know a guy who had his hand underneath a brake disc when the car came down so it was trapped between the disc and the concrete... that was fun!

I bet. Sounds horrific!

We have all taken our eyes off the ball. I remember using an airgun to take a long bolt out from underneath a car, running the bolt out and the thread acting against the gun and pinching my knuckles between the gun and the floor. Seems like such an unlikely thing to happen but there we go! Luckily it was easily resolved by just gunning the bolt back in.

thetankwad

posted on 25/9/20 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Quick update, we have the MX5 stripped and put aside, and we are knocking up a bench to start the welding. Steel is on order so its full steam ahead.

I'd like to think we will have the next episode up in a week or 2.

Deckman001

posted on 25/9/20 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Well done guys, keep it up as we like the update videos.

Jason

SteveWalker

posted on 25/9/20 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
One thing I'd say watching that rather heart stopping vid is put a block of soft wood on your axle stand pad between it and the bodywork or anything your else your lifting.

Metal on metal is very very slippery

Personally, I don't use wood, but I always position axle stands under sill jacking points, or tow-bar - with a section narrow enough to fit in the bottom of the cup, so that it is unable to slip sideways and (with jacking points) often slightly back from the rest of the sill seam, so they are prevented from slipping sideways, or (with tow-bar) between mountings or bolts, that also prevent sideways slip.

Similarly, when jacking - under the ant-roll bar mounts (so they sit in the cup of the jack), under a tow-bar bolt, or under a some other (solid) bracketry or bolt.

I have seen a car drop on someone's (my uncle's) arm many years ago, but that was a Fiat 126 and he just asked my Dad to lift it up a bit

thetankwad

posted on 5/10/20 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Quick update, I have been very very busy between this build and all the other nonsense that comes with running a car channel on youtube. Those who have subscribed will note that this isn't the only project I have on the go at the moment. FEAR NOT! It has not been forgotten, and this Friday the next instalment goes live. Link for that can be found here:

In typical project style, most of this is covering the actual prep needed rather than any of the build, so we are getting our house in order and ready for welding up a chassis. Few useful tips and we knock up the bench for welding here.

[Edited on 5/10/20 by thetankwad]

[Edited on 5/10/20 by thetankwad]

Bluemoon

posted on 5/10/20 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thetankwad
quote:
Originally posted by James

I bet. Sounds horrific!

We have all taken our eyes off the ball. I remember using an airgun to take a long bolt out from underneath a car, running the bolt out and the thread acting against the gun and pinching my knuckles between the gun and the floor. Seems like such an unlikely thing to happen but there we go! Luckily it was easily resolved by just gunning the bolt back in.

Very easy to make a silly mistake, I do also know a local chap that was working under a landrover, lots of experiance DIYing on the vehicle yet one day he was crush to death working under it on the drive leaving a young family.

Cars are fun but make be extra carefull when working under. When working on my donner I used axel stands and also shoved the wheels under just in case. Once on 4 stands it's not stable as when haveing at least two or three chocked wheels on the ground.. I also prefere using ramps when possible but can only do that with wheels on!

ianhurley20

posted on 5/10/20 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
One of the first things I was taught as an appretice tractor mechanic in 1960 something was never put any part of yourself under a vehicle without TWO means of support - one of those with cars was to put the wheel you have just taken off under the car - and that would make 3 means of support!

thetankwad

posted on 25/10/20 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote

thetankwad

posted on 1/11/20 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Morning all! Its Sunday so time for an update.

As promised, we start welding in this episodes. We certainly don't finish it though....

David Jenkins

posted on 1/11/20 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
I love this series of videos - but I am REALLY struggling with the accent sometimes! Of course, this is my problem, not yours... but you'd think with a brother who lives in Dornock that I'd be better at understanding the accent by now!

thetankwad

posted on 1/11/20 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I love this series of videos - but I am REALLY struggling with the accent sometimes! Of course, this is my problem, not yours... but you'd think with a brother who lives in Dornock that I'd be better at understanding the accent by now!

Sorry dude. Believe it or not we do slow down the chat and try to speak clearer. Its usually worse than that!!

David Jenkins

posted on 1/11/20 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thetankwad

Sorry dude. Believe it or not we do slow down the chat and try to speak clearer. Its usually worse than that!!

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.