Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tyre recommendation
FFMan

posted on 7/9/20 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Tyre recommendation

I'm getting closer to completion of my Haynes Roadster MX5 track only car. I bought it half built and i get the impression it has sat around and never been used.

It's sitting on some Pirelli Cinturato tyres on the original wheels. I can't find an obvious date code (despite much research as to where to look etc), the closest seems to be J908 which makes them 2008 vintage ! i.e. despite lots of tread, fit for the skip not the track

As i intend to track the car only, but don't want to have a set of wet and dry, what is a recommended all round tyre ?

adithorp

posted on 7/9/20 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
I'd go with Toyo R888R. Great in the dry and not terrible in the wet. They're certainly bettery than Yoko' 048 in the wet and quite a bit better than the old 888r. If you do get a wet track day you're unlikely to be out in the worst conditions in a seven unless you're a complete masochist. In the dry they'll let you exploit the cornering potential of a seven.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

FFMan

posted on 7/9/20 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
I'd go with Toyo R888R. Great in the dry and not terrible in the wet. They're certainly bettery than Yoko' 048 in the wet and quite a bit better than the old 888r. If you do get a wet track day you're unlikely to be out in the worst conditions in a seven unless you're a complete masochist. In the dry they'll let you exploit the cornering potential of a seven.

thanks

Yes i doubt we'll do much wet running TBH

FFMan

posted on 7/9/20 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
It's got 185/60 on it, is that correct or even for the mazda wheel.

Could it go wider on the rear I wonder and is there any point ?

peter030371

posted on 7/9/20 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Second Adis comment. R888R seem perfect for dry with the odd wet day. Tried yoko, cost more and went no quicker but then maybe (probably) that is just me

Size depends on power. <200bhp 185/60 in each corner would be fine. >200bhp then 205 or even 225 on the back (depending on how much over >200bhp you are). I have 205 on the back with 189bhp (Striker, 600Kg with me in it) and at times I feel a little over-tyred but then I have new cams sitting on my work bench to take it just over 200bhp when I find the time/budget to fit them

adithorp

posted on 8/9/20 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
I think 185/60/14 is original mx5 fitment. You could go to 205 on the rear but probably not worth it with standard power.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Nickp

posted on 8/9/20 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
If it's on 14's then you'll have very little choice of performance tyres. Personally I'd go to 15" wheels and stick some 195/50/15s on, loads of choice in that size and pretty cheap too
FFMan

posted on 8/9/20 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
i was more inclined to go to 13 inches and use some formula ford avon tyres. the taller side wall isn't the disadvantage it might seem if you know how to 'hint' the car in the right direction before turn in.
peter030371

posted on 8/9/20 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
13" tend to be lighter as well
ettore bugatti

posted on 10/9/20 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
205/60R14 are also quite a rare size these days on not really a good fit on the stock MX5 wheels, probably better to go for a staggered set of 13" or 15".
Extreme VR2 is quite popular in hillclimb, but I dont know if they last well on trackday sessions. Kumho V70A is also worth a look.

Although the Caterham 160 did run on narrow 14" so if it is fun you're after on track just stick some Avons on like Caterham did.

Nickp

posted on 10/9/20 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ettore bugatti
205/60R14 are also quite a rare size these days

Tell me about it. Standard fit on my old Lotus Eclat. I loved the standard wheels but have had to go up to a staggered 15/16" set just to get some half decent rubber on it for the 300bhp V8 it's getting

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 10/9/20 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Nankang ns2r are a good tyre had them on my striker
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 10/9/20 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Nankang ns2r are a good tyre had them on my striker

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.