Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cbr1000 plug colour opinions
Edwardo

posted on 20/9/20 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
cbr1000 plug colour opinions

Finally got to take the car out for a good thrash today - and the kids finally got a ride which they absolutely loved!

Car is running much better since stripping the carbs down/cleaning the jets and putting new plugs in.

When I was cleaning the carbs, I found the mains had been changed from the standard 120's to 136 - which seems a pretty big increase?!

So after the blast today, took the plugs out for a look. I was expecting them to be sooty all over. They are a bit sooty on the base - but the electrode is white??? The pictures don't really show it perfectly - the electrode is quite a bit whiter than it looks :-

Seems a bit odd to me to be black and sooty on the base indicating rich and white deposits on the electrode indicating lean (as far as I know)?

Is this normal?

Cheers
Tony

rf900rush

posted on 21/9/20 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
No Idea on the plug.

But when I first built my car, I used a Suzuki RF900 and had to change my jets from 112 to 140 just to get it drive able.
I found that just changing the bikes air box to a sausage filter on mine was the need for such a large change.

Some how the air box made better power than the sausage filter, but there was no nice way to fit it.

The only way I had any decent progress on the tuning way when a use a wide band O2 sensor but that was later when
I had a fuel injected Kawasaki engine.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 21/9/20 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
I’m far from an expert but I’d interpret that as too lean. I definitely needed a dynojet kit to get my CBR1000F engine running well (can’t be more specific - it was c.15 years ago!)
blue2cv

posted on 21/9/20 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Looks weak
Edwardo

posted on 21/9/20 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies all - Blimey, the airboxes must be really-really restrictive when they are on the original bikes then I guess?

To need that much of an adjustment in fuel supply at full throttle from the main jet must mean the carbs are flowing a lot more air with trumpet filters?

The idle jet is bog standard bike size. I haven't checked - but I guess the fuel mixture has probably been tweaked up too.

Cheers
Tony

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.