Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What is reconditioned in a reconditioned clutch?
Slimy38

posted on 6/10/20 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
What is reconditioned in a reconditioned clutch?

I came across a term today that got me thinking. What is a reconditioned clutch? I've heard of things like reconditioned gearboxes, but clutches are predominantly friction material so what can be reconditioned?

Having said that, I do remember brake shoes could be renewed with friction material. But that was when my dad was driving old cars so I've no idea whether even that is a process.

Just to make it a bit more complex, the conversation was on the subject of DSG boxes...

r1_pete

posted on 6/10/20 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Re lined friction plate and new shock springs.

Pressure plate surfaced, and ne diaphragm spring if needed.

New thrust bearing.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 6/10/20 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Imho i wouldn't buy a reconditioned clutch, as for the labour involved, engine or gearbox out etc, and time, just to save a few pounds, is not worth the hassle, also with all the counterfeit poor quality stuff arriving from the far east daily, and its made of cheese

Were as reconditioned brake shoes, (not that ive heard of them in 40 years) are a doddle to change, infact my old 7, i could renew all of the rear brake shoes, and cylinders on both sides in about 40 mins total, and did so every other year, so not exactly a costly or time critical area

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

James

posted on 6/10/20 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Imho i wouldn't buy a reconditioned clutch, as for the labour involved, engine or gearbox out etc, and time, just to save a few pounds, is not worth the hassle, also with all the counterfeit poor quality stuff arriving from the far east daily, and its made of cheese

Were as reconditioned brake shoes, (not that ive heard of them in 40 years) are a doddle to change, infact my old 7, i could renew all of the rear brake shoes, and cylinders on both sides in about 40 mins total, and did so every other year, so not exactly a costly or time critical area

steve

You were getting through a set of brakes every 2 years? That's impressive mileage in a Seven!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

perksy

posted on 6/10/20 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
I've fitted a few over the years and couldn't tell the difference from a new one to be fair

But if the price difference isn't vast, I'd go for a new one everytime

A lot depends on what the manufacturer calls "reconditioned" though

steve m

posted on 6/10/20 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
Originally posted by steve m

steve

You were getting through a set of brakes every 2 years? That's impressive mileage in a Seven!

EVERY YEAR, well winter, i rebuilt religiously the rear end one year, and the front end the following year, the whole lot, back to bare metal check my welds, repaint and rebush, new grease etc, 20 years of doing this process
It was done, one out of i can, but also, in a car that i built from scratch, with no training, nor guidance, having never really welded before, , just arc,
it was called safety, and yes probably overkill, bet then again, my locost didnt fail, on my workmanship, it failed on a Henry ford design problem, ie
a pressed in carb fitting that came out after the MOT, and caused an immense carb fire, that destroyed my car

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/10/20 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
When rebuilding the Fiesta I went for a budget clutch kit, damn thing wouldn't even fit and the inside of the friction plate actually broke up. Gave up and bought the exact same clutch kit as fitted by Ford and everything fitted perfectly. Lesson learnt should have bought the good one in the first place. With something so buried and difficult to access it's probably not the best thing to save money on.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 7/10/20 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all. Yes I couldn't see the benefit to it either. Especially because the topic of conversation was around DSG clutches which are probably even harder to deal with (and multiples of everything!).

It's interesting to hear that they can be re-lined though.That's my 'one new thing to learn each day' for today.

nick205

posted on 7/10/20 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
IMHO brand new clutch kits aren't overly expensive. As has been mentioned above, given the time and effort involved in replacing a clutch anyway I'd go for a brand new clutch every time. IMHO "reconditioned" is too vague a word when it comes to clutches for me. Whether it's a car I'm driving or fixing for someone else!
Sam_68

posted on 7/10/20 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Some DSG boxes are multi-plate (and concentric!) wet clutches, of course.
nick205

posted on 7/10/20 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68

They are and IIRC there are manufacturer service intervals for thhem where the tarnsmission fluid should be changed. IMHO that's part of deciding to buy and run such a vehicle - following the service schedule with suitable materials and at suitable intervals. Like all things mechanical (and electrical) they'll have a service life before they wear out and need replacing.

coyoteboy

posted on 7/10/20 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
A recon clutch kit could be better quality than some of your new cheapo clutch kits, as it could well use the OEM non-wearing parts with just new friction material and bearings added. Or it could be a recon cheapie. Or a combo of the two.

As with everything, you pays your money, you takes your chance. If you have the cash, and want the assurance that comes with the cost, you buy the OEM kit.

britishtrident

posted on 7/10/20 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Big name clutch manufacturers have been reconditioning clutches for years usual way to tell is the finish on the clutch . With the main maufacturers The only part normally reused on the cover is the outer shell on the friction plate only the inner hub. I would have no issue buying one branded AP or National.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Slimy38

posted on 7/10/20 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68

Yep,this was on a Skoda so multi plate wet clutch.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.