Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Electric Water Pump & Controller
aksman

posted on 5/12/20 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mgb281
I was looking at this myself and have found out the following; that if your ECU has spare PWM outputs you can control an electric water pump from there, the example I have been given is zero until 6c then 25% until 50c then 75% at 90c then 100% at 95c. Obviously you would adjust duty rates according to your target temperature. Using your ECU or the Davies Craig controller enables you to do away with your thermostat, so the hot water will leave the engine ang go straight to the radiator. The Davies Craig controller does enable you to allow both pump and fan to run for up to two minutes after engine switch off to prevent heat soak. There is very little back pressure with a system like this due to the straight through design and providing you have a header tank that keeps the system full then there is no head of water to pump..
As for reliability then you will not find thousands of owners on the forums complaining about failed pumps, just a few who would have complained about a mechanical one as well.

Some good information and ideas have being provided by everyone to date thanks
Here's a summary of where I am right now.
I don't have an ECU myself but it's handy to know if I upgrade in the future.
The Davies Craig pump and controller has a lot going for it and whilst expensive new, it seems to be good value for money when you factor everything in.
A used Pierburg CWA200 + Davies Craig Controller or Tecmotive Tiny CWA is also looking like a good value alternative.
If I ever find myself with time on my hands then it would be interesting to look at using an Arduino.
It looks like the Auxiliary Pumps are a non starter as they would be underpowered.

CosKev3

posted on 5/12/20 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aksman
quote:
Originally posted by mgb281
I was looking at this myself and have found out the following; that if your ECU has spare PWM outputs you can control an electric water pump from there, the example I have been given is zero until 6c then 25% until 50c then 75% at 90c then 100% at 95c. Obviously you would adjust duty rates according to your target temperature. Using your ECU or the Davies Craig controller enables you to do away with your thermostat, so the hot water will leave the engine ang go straight to the radiator. The Davies Craig controller does enable you to allow both pump and fan to run for up to two minutes after engine switch off to prevent heat soak. There is very little back pressure with a system like this due to the straight through design and providing you have a header tank that keeps the system full then there is no head of water to pump..
As for reliability then you will not find thousands of owners on the forums complaining about failed pumps, just a few who would have complained about a mechanical one as well.

Some good information and ideas have being provided by everyone to date thanks
Here's a summary of where I am right now.
I don't have an ECU myself but it's handy to know if I upgrade in the future.
The Davies Craig pump and controller has a lot going for it and whilst expensive new, it seems to be good value for money when you factor everything in.
A used Pierburg CWA200 + Davies Craig Controller or Tecmotive Tiny CWA is also looking like a good value alternative.
If I ever find myself with time on my hands then it would be interesting to look at using an Arduino.
It looks like the Auxiliary Pumps are a non starter as they would be underpowered.

I've got two genuine Pierburg CWA200's,one is brand new unused in the box I would let go for £220,or the one I've used for 12 months that's done a couple of thousand miles for £150.

Don't be tempted buy a copy of the Pierburg, performance is not as good,and the one I bought didn't work at all

I run the Tecmotive Tiny controller,would recommend it over the Davies Craig one.
Not a fancy touch screen like the Davies Craig,but I like the fact the Tiny one shows you via the line of LEDs how fast the pump is running.
Then when it switches the fan on all the LEDs flash while fan is on.

lsdweb

posted on 6/12/20 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
My homebuilt controller (ESP32 based) is setup to work in four different phases - warm up(blue) where pump speed is low, normal (green) for normal operating temperatures, an amber phase where it's getting a touch to hot and red when temp is too high.

The controller takes coolant temp, rpm, throttle position and battery voltage from the ECU via CAN and varies the PWM according to the four phases.

The controller also controls the alternator, switching it 'off' at high throttle openings unless battery voltage is too low.

There'll be an override switch for both water pump and alternator.

This is all working on the bench (with a simulator connected to the Emerald ECU) and my friend has his (arduino based) working on the car. This is one of four arduinos on his car I think - one in each engine ECU (Speeduino), water pump controller and another one for something I've forgotten!

Wyn

lsdweb

posted on 6/12/20 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a quick video of it 'on the bench'. The top number is RPM and the bottom is coolant temp. The different phases and pump speeds are shown by the colour of the display (I somehow missed out the amber phase )

https://youtu.be/jWhh1tJv50g

aksman

posted on 8/12/20 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
My homebuilt controller (ESP32 based) is setup to work in four different phases - warm up(blue) where pump speed is low, normal (green) for normal operating temperatures, an amber phase where it's getting a touch to hot and red when temp is too high.

The controller takes coolant temp, rpm, throttle position and battery voltage from the ECU via CAN and varies the PWM according to the four phases.

The controller also controls the alternator, switching it 'off' at high throttle openings unless battery voltage is too low.

There'll be an override switch for both water pump and alternator.

This is all working on the bench (with a simulator connected to the Emerald ECU) and my friend has his (arduino based) working on the car. This is one of four arduinos on his car I think - one in each engine ECU (Speeduino), water pump controller and another one for something I've forgotten!

Wyn

It sounds like an excellent set-up Wyn and shows what can be done with today's technology.
Unfortunately ESP32 is too advanced for me.
I like the sound of your mate's 4 arduinos.
Has he posted any details about them anywhere?
Alan

lsdweb

posted on 8/12/20 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Alan.

Apologies for highjacking your thread! The ESP32 is no different from an Arduino really. It was just an easier choice for the CAN setup. And I'm hopeless with these things but trying to learn (old dogs new tricks and all that!)

I'll try and get my pal Lyndon to come on here - he's well suited to this site which you can see from somebody who has two engine ECUs in the car! His Arduino based pump controller works off temperature sensors so no CAN in sight!

Regards

Wyn

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.