Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sylva J15/J16/Vectis front end clearance
guyschofield

posted on 9/12/20 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Sylva J15/J16/Vectis front end clearance

Hi folks,

I'm about to buy wheels for my Sylva J16 and I'm wondering what size wheels and tyres people are running? I've currently got original MGF wheels from the donor car but these are too big: they rub the front edge of the front wheelarches with the steering set to anything other than absolutely straight ahead. What size tyres are you guys putting on your front wheels?

Also, the bonnet only just clears the top of the radiator mounts. Is this normal? Has anybody else found this to be a problem? Have I got all the bodywork mounted too far back?

Cheers!!
Guy

lordbenny

posted on 9/12/20 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by guyschofield
Hi folks,

I'm about to buy wheels for my Sylva J16 and I'm wondering what size wheels and tyres people are running? I've currently got original MGF wheels from the donor car but these are too big: they rub the front edge of the front wheelarches with the steering set to anything other than absolutely straight ahead. What size tyres are you guys putting on your front wheels?

Also, the bonnet only just clears the top of the radiator mounts. Is this normal? Has anybody else found this to be a problem? Have I got all the bodywork mounted too far back?

Cheers!!
Guy

I’ve got mini black plastic wheel arch extensions on my J15...not are they easy to fit, they enable a wider track giving the car a better stance and better looks!

Wheels CXR's 6.5inch all round with an offset of ET01 185/13’s up front and 205/13’s on rear.

I don’t know if you’ve seen it but the builder Jenko on here wrote an amazing build blog... if you are building a J15/16 it’s a must read... http://paulsj15.blogspot.com/2012/09/it-starts.html

[Edited on 9/12/20 by lordbenny]

guyschofield

posted on 9/12/20 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks @lordbenny, that's great.

I'll work out what diameter that makes your wheels but that sounds smaller and wider than mine which makes sense.
Yes, I've used Jenko's blog as a reference for loads of my build, your car looks amazing. Hope you're enjoying it!

Cheers,
Guy

lordbenny

posted on 9/12/20 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
13” wheels.

Had the car 6 months now...absolutely love it. Ive made one or two improvements and modifications but must say...it’s very well built and looks amazing. I’ve have 4 other kits and a few head turning cars but this J15 is on another level. Be prepared to be literally flagged down in the street and have people hanging out of cars on their phone taking videos and pics!

Kdempsie

posted on 9/12/20 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Guy,

I’m on the same Compomotive CXR 13” wheels as Lordbenny. Front tyres are 185/60R13 for me with standard track. The rears are 205/60R13. My rear brakes are very close to the inner diameter of the wheel.

My radiator is pretty close to the bonnet too but clears by about 15mm.

Keith.

guyschofield

posted on 10/12/20 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Keith!

I've just measured my wheelarches and even those sizes would be pretty tight: the wheelarches are really tight on the forward edges of the front tyres. I'm wondering whether all my bodywork is slightly too far back.

As far as I can tell, the only point that determines how far forward all the bodywork should be is behind the seats, where the rollbar and upper seatbelt mounts pass through the cockpit section. On your car, is the fibreglass right against the bit of chassis that has the upper seat belt mounts in it?

Cheers again!
Guy

Kdempsie

posted on 10/12/20 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Yes the tub goes hard back against the rear seat back.

The front of the front wheel is a lot closer than the back due to the shape of the arch.

There are some pictures here showing the positioning.
https://jpsc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1209&start=30

I can send some more pictures if they would help.

Keith

davetheboat

posted on 10/12/20 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All

My J15 is still in a long term build & not on the ground let alone the road.
During lockdown I got round to 1st fitting the bodywork. I found that the front wheel arch clearance was very small. So tight there was not even enough clearance to turn the wheels fully.
I am using puma wheels to set everything up. I know these don't have the correct offset but even allowing for that it was way to tight. In the end after much deliberation I moved it all forward about 10mm. the tub was tight against the rail. It all looks much better. keeping my fingers crossed I have not dug myself a hole!

David

guyschofield

posted on 11/12/20 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Keith, that's great.

As with most things on the car, I'll probably have been worrying for nothing. I'll move putting the correct wheels on to the top of the to-do list and see what happens!

Thanks for the link to your build, I hadn't found that one before and I'm sure it'll be really useful. That exhaust looks amazing btw!

CC Cyclone

posted on 11/12/20 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Good to see some other J15 & J16 builds in progress. I was beginning to think I was the only one.

Here is my J16 in current progress. I know what you are thinking, I have posted the wrong image, but no it is a J16. It is a long story. There is a build thread on this link if anyone is interested:

https://kitnet.uk/community/threads/xetos_gt-build-thread.211/

[IMG]https://kitnet.uk/community/media/04c18a88-bb9c-4332-9fb8-5edec79deb4b.1804/full[/IMG]

[Edited on 11/12/20 by CC Cyclone]

lordbenny

posted on 11/12/20 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CC Cyclone
Good to see some other J15 & J16 builds in progress. I was beginning to think I was the only one.

Here is my J16 in current progress. I know what you are thinking, I have posted the wrong image, but no it is a J16. It is a long story. There is a build thread on this link if anyone is interested:

https://kitnet.uk/community/threads/xetos_gt-build-thread.211/

[IMG]https://kitnet.uk/community/media/04c18a88-bb9c-4332-9fb8-5edec79deb4b.1804/full[/IMG]

[Edited on 11/12/20 by CC Cyclone]

I’d like to see your car but that link just takes me to a log in page!

CC Cyclone

posted on 11/12/20 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm. I seem to be struggling with image upload here.

let's see if this works:

I forgot that kitnet is a years subscription, but you can register and view for the first month without joining. Worth a look.

lordbenny

posted on 11/12/20 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
WOW! I don’t know where the J15 ends and where whatever else is in there begins!
padrc66

posted on 11/12/20 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
On the first J15, Jeremy used 185/55R14 tyres and on the vectis recommended 175/50R15 which are about the same diameter. I've used 185/55R14 which have no clearance issues, shown here:

i did put on worn 195/50R15 for the IVA to give me a bit more headlamp height but they were tight and did touch at some extremes of steering lock and suspension travel - i wouldn't be happy to use them all the time. unfortunately, this does lead to a shortage of options for grippy trackday tyres, i may change to 165/55R14 or 185/60R13 on the front at some point to give more options. I angled the radiator backwards to give enough clearance, you may be able to tell from this picture:

that last car looks amazing cc cyclone, tell us more!

CC Cyclone

posted on 11/12/20 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
It is very much work in progress and has been for the last 5 years...

It is the last JP J16 Chassis running MGF VVC running gear.

guyschofield

posted on 11/12/20 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks once again padr66: those tyres are the size I'm going to end up with so it's good to know that should work!
Your minilites look great, I was torn between those and steelies.

CC Cyclone, that looks awesome!

The bodywork reminds me of the Raffo Belva, is it from another kit or did you design it yourself?
When did you get the J16 chassis then? Mine was bought in 2014. I wonder if anybody knows how many Jeremy actually made and out of those, how many have made it onto the road?

Cheers!
Guy

padrc66

posted on 11/12/20 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks

Jeremy Philips told me he sold 42 J15 and Vectis but he didn't know how many had been sold by the new owners.

CC Cyclone

posted on 11/12/20 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
I bought mine from David after he bought the company but it was the chassis that Jeremy made him as a control for future fabrication. I think only one other was made by Sylvia post JP but I might be wrong.
lordbenny

posted on 11/12/20 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
It is very much work in progress and has been for the last 5 years...

It is the last JP J16 Chassis running MGF VVC running gear.

Love it...it’s Lotus Exige meets Lancia Stratos meets GTM.

CC Cyclone

posted on 11/12/20 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry Guy, I really did not mean to hijack you thread about wheel sizes and front bodywork. It is not something relevant to mine
davetheboat

posted on 11/12/20 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All

Padrc66 What offset have you gone for on your wheels? Pretty sure the Prisoner used ET40 on 15" rims.

CC Cyclone that looks really nice agree its very reminiscent of the Raffo Belva a car I have always liked.

Keith or anybody else if they have time a measurement front the forward edge of the front wheel arch to wheel centre would be a great help!
Would be good to have a definite datum point before I go too far.

My chassis is a 2009 bought part built in 2012 The bodywork I bought from Jeremy just before he sold up.

David

lordbenny

posted on 11/12/20 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
13” Is the way to go....anything bigger doesn’t look right IMO
davetheboat

posted on 11/12/20 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Know what you mean I do like the look of 13's suits the car.
But will they fit over sierra callipers? The kit came with rebuilt sierra callipers so had intended to use them.

David

guyschofield

posted on 12/12/20 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Sorry Guy, I really did not mean to hijack you thread about wheel sizes and front bodywork. It is not something relevant to mine

No worries, it's super interesting. Lots of ideas there!

@DaveTheBoat, I'm hoping to get my wheels on in the next few weeks, I'll measure up the gaps and the centre to wheelarch and let you know when I do. Is yours a J16 too or a J15?

Cheers,
Guy

CC Cyclone

posted on 12/12/20 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
I do know that JP’s j16 was running the standard 15inch MGF wheels and tyres if it is any help.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.