Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Present ideas (for ME!)
jps

posted on 22/12/20 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Present ideas (for ME!)

I'm lucky in that my wider family (in-laws) get together and spend a few quid on me for my birthday which is a couple of weeks after Christmas. I'm always short of ideas - so am after some suggestions of things I could suggest they add to my tool/workshop collection...

I've already done my best to line up my "secret" (not so secret in our family) santa for the 25th to get me some imperial ratchet spanners, for the 1/2" bolts in my suspension and the 7/16" bolts for my harnesses.

Over the years i've built up a decent tool collection, so at this point i'm really after suggestions for 'nice to have' rather than 'have to have' - items up to about £40. The only area i've never invested in is anything to do with the electrics, still being a way off that stage in my build...

EDIT: Links to recommended items appreciated!

[Edited on 22/12/20 by jps]

[Edited on 22/12/20 by jps]

Fred W B

posted on 22/12/20 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
The one tool I've had for years, that every time I use it it think that it was money so well spent is a decent automatic wire stripper. Also the ratchet tool for crimping connectors.

Cheers

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

nick205

posted on 22/12/20 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
If you're after tools for vehicle electrics I'd agree with Fred W B, a proper set of wire strippers and ratcheting crimp tools are well worth having. When you use them you invariably make better (more reliable) electrical joints/connections.

The crimp tools in particular. I used to "borrow" a set from work to use at home over the weekend. In the end I just got on and bought myself some. Money well spent and if it's a gift then it'll be a gift well received.

I'd also suggest a multimeter as well. Very useful for automotive electrics, but I've used mine a surprising amount for domestic electrics (checking fuses etc.). £40 will get you a perfectly good multimeter.

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/12/20 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
A wet and dry hoover.

Seriously I love it, it's just a simple stainless steel one but what a huge difference it makes have one in the garage. Forget stupid sweeping brushes that just throw dirt in the air and all over your car, engine and your lungs.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 22/12/20 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Another fine suggestion.

I don't have a wet n' dry vacuum, but the old household one did find it's way into my garage. It makes cleaning up faster and more effective.

steve m

posted on 22/12/20 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
I agree, with the decent wire strippers and crimping tool, plus a multi meter, once using the right tools for the job, life is so much easier

As for ratchet spanners, i bought a set a few years ago, and ive NEVER used them!

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 22/12/20 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Ratchet crimping tool is the best suggestion yet - and one that I would always recommend (the normal ones just don't cut the mustard - and you'll see why when you get a set). All I'd say is consider a set with removable/interchangeable heads for different connectors; I've got fixed ones for the garage, but my portable set with 6 sets of jaws is a godsend when out and about.

Also a good multimeter (as already suggested).

Auto wire-strippers are good, as are a set of proper electrical/crescent cutters in the right hands (not to be confused with side cutters).

Set of VDE electrical screwdrivers, maybe? Although that's more domestic use than car related, but still.

Soldering iron? Not that I use mine a lot, but still worth a tool in the collection for that "just in case" moment.

Set of electrical "keys" for removing pins from connector blocks?

Haynes auto electrical manual (if you're not "au fait" with lx systems)?

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

harmchar

posted on 22/12/20 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
I got a set of Knipex auto wire strippers early this year, wish I had them years ago. Time saving and consistent ends every time. Not to mention safer than trimming with a Stanley bladed knife.
gremlin1234

posted on 22/12/20 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
if you don't have one already, a little lithium jump start pack
Paul W

posted on 22/12/20 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
decent rechargeable head torch
JC

posted on 23/12/20 at 06:22 AM Reply With Quote
A space heater for the workshop/garage.. totally transformed my working regime!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 23/12/20 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul W
decent rechargeable head torch

Another cracking suggestion here!

I've got a battery one and it's so useful. I use it working on cars, night hiking with my scout group, fixing things around the house. Being able to light an area and work with both hands is a revelation. Gone are the days of dribbling down a torch you're trying to hold in your mouth.

peter030371

posted on 23/12/20 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Hot air gun for heatshrink work, we have various at work but they can cost hundreds. I recently used one of these and it seemed quite good for the money https://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/products/painting-and-decorating/decorating-tools/2000w-high-performance-heat-gun/kx2200k

Trying to do heatshrink without a decent hot air gun us very hit and miss and you may end up damaging wires inside it without realising.

02GF74

posted on 23/12/20 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
depending on your budget, £ 5 gets you one of these, useful side lamp.

jps

posted on 29/12/20 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, I reckon I’ll go for the wire strippers, ratchet crimpers and heat gun.

An old Henry hoover has already been saved from the tip and is proving indestructible, despite hoovering up all sorts of junk, but I’ll look at the wet and dry ones when it finally expires. On the lighting front I’ve got a couple of sets of Cree led bike lights which include headstraps, so sorted on the lighting front!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.