Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: LED Headlights
felix_kentish

posted on 20/1/21 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
LED Headlights

Hi all,

I hope this will be a quick one. LED or HID headlights must have self leveling and light washers to pass IVA unless the output is below 2000 lumens.

Is this 2000 lumens per headlight or 2000 lumens for both?
I'm looking into headlights at the moment and Dominators are currently winning due to cost, size and they'll get through IVA but I've found Denali LED light pods which kick out 1095 lumens per light and they're tiny. Obviously if this is 2000 lumens for both lights, these fall just outside of what is permitted.

Thanks,

joneh

posted on 20/1/21 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by felix_kentish
Hi all,

I hope this will be a quick one. LED or HID headlights must have self leveling and light washers to pass IVA unless the output is below 2000 lumens.

Is this 2000 lumens per headlight or 2000 lumens for both?
I'm looking into headlights at the moment and Dominators are currently winning due to cost, size and they'll get through IVA but I've found Denali LED light pods which kick out 1095 lumens per light and they're tiny. Obviously if this is 2000 lumens for both lights, these fall just outside of what is permitted.

Thanks,

The manual, note 4 under section 25, says total output. I'd take that to mean both. They're not going to measure it though, it says you must provide evidence.

russbost

posted on 20/1/21 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know a lot about the Denali's, but so far as I'm aware they don't have a different main beam to dip, they simply have one beam pattern & dim the light for dip beam, I'm also not clear on whether you have to dim to half power (which would be fairly useless) or if the power can be controlled between half & full intensity. If the above is the case them one, you'd be either sacrificing main beam light distribution to have a correct dip beam, or you'd have an incorrect dip beam pattern - either way I can't see them passing IVA

Reading between the lines I think they are intended more as a spot light than as a headlamp replacement?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
felix_kentish

posted on 20/1/21 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies.
I think you are right, these do look like they can only adjust the intensity rather than the actual light spread so dip and full probably wouldn't comply.
It looks like the Dominators are still winning at the moment then. I've sent an email over to Furore about these and the Photons (Thanks Russ).

It would be nice to have confirmation to my original question as it does seem open to interpretation whether the 2000 lumen rule apply to single headlight or combined light output of both or 4 if you decide to have that many. If I do get confirmation of this, I'll update the thread in case anybody asks the same question in the future.

gremlin1234

posted on 20/1/21 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
I note that the 1095 lumen is their marketing 'Raw Lumen' figure.
ie without any losses.
real output will never be nearly as high as that theoretical max.

John Bonnett

posted on 20/1/21 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Are they and do they need to be E marked to be compliant with Construction and Use reg?
coyoteboy

posted on 21/1/21 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
This is an interesting question as I always thought they had to be E marked, but recently I read the C&U and don't think it's that clear cut. And my OEM toyota headlights aren't E or BSI marked either. One of the biggest aftermarket sellers for my Toyota sells unmarked headlamps and outright states it's a misinterpretation of the law. I'm still unsure!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.