Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: RIP Capt Tom
steve m

posted on 2/2/21 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
RIP Capt Tom

You lifted the country for a while, but now succumbed to the dreaded disease

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

russbost

posted on 2/2/21 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
He was an inspiration, not really sure how much Covid had to do with it. Apparently he couldn't have the vaccine as he already had pneumonia, at 100 years old I guess everything gives up at some point At least he had family with him & a century is a good innings in anyone's book!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
theconrodkid

posted on 2/2/21 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
they dont make them like than any more, sleep well sir

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Dingz

posted on 2/2/21 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Mind you he did go to Barbados for Christmas which may not have helped, but he was an amazing inspiration.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

coyoteboy

posted on 3/2/21 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dingz
Mind you he did go to Barbados for Christmas which may not have helped, but he was an amazing inspiration.

An average of 34 cases a day across all of Barbados at Xmas, not sure it was a big risk.

quote:
He was an inspiration, not really sure how much Covid had to do with it.

Yeah there's only so much a body can cope with, but it's not exactly surprising that an aggressive lung inflammation disease caught on top of pneumonia might cause the end of an old chap.

RIP

SteveWalker

posted on 3/2/21 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
An average of 34 cases a day across all of Barbados at Xmas, not sure it was a big risk.

I'd worry more about the risks of long security and immigration queues with no distancing, spending hours crammed into a metal tube sharing the air with everyone around you, time spent in busy hotel areas, such as bars, public transport or coaches, etc.

joneh

posted on 3/2/21 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
The whole event doesn't sit right with me, the media whip up a frenzy around an old man showing stiff upper lip, busting himself raising millions for the NHS, completely ignoring that our government have spaffed billions with their buddies on absolutely useless PPE, Track & Trace & stealth privatisation all whilst chronically underfunding the health service. It's sad that our media encourage the public to sponsor him but fail to hold the government to any real account.

His life will now be spun into a Covid PR Event. He died of Pneumonia, tested positive for CV the day before he died, now recorded as a CV death. He'll be used as a stay at home media campaign. Even his family were allowed in with him at his last moments. That's not England, with tens of thousands dying alone.

He was a gem, a genuine hero & legend but used as a sleight of hand. RIP.

russbost

posted on 3/2/21 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joneh
The whole event doesn't sit right with me, the media whip up a frenzy around an old man showing stiff upper lip, busting himself raising millions for the NHS, completely ignoring that our government have spaffed billions with their buddies on absolutely useless PPE, Track & Trace & stealth privatisation all whilst chronically underfunding the health service. It's sad that our media encourage the public to sponsor him but fail to hold the government to any real account.

His life will now be spun into a Covid PR Event. He died of Pneumonia, tested positive for CV the day before he died, now recorded as a CV death. He'll be used as a stay at home media campaign. Even his family were allowed in with him at his last moments. That's not England, with tens of thousands dying alone.

Sorry, can't agree with this, 2 completely separate issues that do not need to be connected in any way, shape or form.

He was a true inspiration at a time when the country needed something positive to focus on & I think his death should be similarly treated as someone who was inspiring to one & all & should be looked up to as an ambassador for all things that are good about living in a free country

We have quite enough negativity without linking a man like Captain Tom to nefarious shenanigans of this or any other government

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
joneh

posted on 3/2/21 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
quote:

Sorry, can't agree with this, 2 completely separate issues that do not need to be connected in any way, shape or form.

He was a true inspiration at a time when the country needed something positive to focus on & I think his death should be similarly treated as someone who was inspiring to one & all & should be looked up to as an ambassador for all things that are good about living in a free country

We have quite enough negativity without linking a man like Captain Tom to nefarious shenanigans of this or any other government

That's fine. Agree to disagree but agree on him being an inspiration & genuine hero.

Toys2

posted on 3/2/21 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I think that you're distorting things for your own agenda

The media articles have been quite clear that he died "with" CV and have all stated that he was already ill with pneumonia. I haven't yet seen any detail on if CV was a contributing factor to his death and I certainly haven't seen any spin about him catching CV

His death will indeed be categorised as a "death within 28 days of testing positive for Covid" even if that wasn't the actual cause of his death

People seem to get quite irate about this "fudging the figures" "knocked over by a bus within 28 days of testing positive for Covid" etc etc,
But look at it statistically, since this started, at any given time, there has only been about 0.5 -2% of the population testing positive for Covid. So in my mind, that's the sort of magnitude of error on the figures, introduced by the need to get a quick, daily figure on the deaths related to Covid

Now don't forget that people can die because of Covid, that have never been tested and also people can die because of Covid, but they tested positive more than 28 days before their death. These 2 situations will reduce the figures, statistics often have a ways of averaging out factors for and against

In all, I think the figures are reasonably representative with a few % of margin

[Edited on 3/2/21 by Toys2]

joneh

posted on 3/2/21 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

You're wrong. It's an opinion, not an agenda. Governments have agendas.

Hopefully, in his honor the government will allocate more money to the NHS. Oh forget that, the PM just announced another clap instead.

The media aren't making it clear at all. Every headline states he died after testing positive for Covid. The Times: Captain Sir Tom Moore, the 100-year-old war veteran who raised millions for NHS charities, has died after a battle with Covid-19 and pneumonia.

It doesn't clearly state that he went to hospital after testing negative for Covid with Pneumonia, then after 10 days in hospital, the day before he died, he tested positive.

[Edited on 3/2/21 by joneh]

Toys2

posted on 3/2/21 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Word play, rather than answering my comments

joneh

posted on 3/2/21 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toys2
quote:
quote:

Word play, rather than answering my comments

My edit may have crossed over with your reply.

Your other comments weren't relevant.

coyoteboy

posted on 3/2/21 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Hopefully, in his honor the government will allocate more money to the NHS. Oh forget that, the PM just announced another clap instead.

The media aren't making it clear at all. Every headline states he died after testing positive for Covid. The Times: Captain Sir Tom Moore, the 100-year-old war veteran who raised millions for NHS charities, has died after a battle with Covid-19 and pneumonia.

It doesn't clearly state that he went to hospital after testing negative for Covid with Pneumonia, then after 10 days in hospital, the day before he died, he tested positive.

I think it's really obvious what they mean. I assume most of the public are able to read headlines critically too.

It's also possible to get pneumonia and not die from it. It's also possible to get pneumonia, then catch a lung inflammation disease and die from that disease after being weakened by pneumonia. The latter would
be the same as any other person dying of covid with a co-morbidity - it's not unrelated, but it may or may not be the deciding factor.
No-one is stating it was any of the above, but all of the above are possible.

Some people are just looking for a fight all the time though.

[Edited on 3/2/21 by coyoteboy]

joneh

posted on 3/2/21 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:
quote:

I think it's really obvious what they mean. I assume most of the public are able to read headlines critically too.

It's also possible to get pneumonia and not die from it. It's also possible to get pneumonia, then catch a lung inflammation disease and die from that disease after being weakened by pneumonia. The latter would
be the same as any other person dying of covid with a co-morbidity - it's not unrelated, but it may or may not be the deciding factor.
No-one is stating it was any of the above, but all of the above are possible.

Some people are just looking for a fight all the time though.

[Edited on 3/2/21 by coyoteboy]

Fair comment, it's a digress to my original point, which is mute now thanks to Boris jumping all over it with a PR clap, rather than actually trying to do something right.

coyoteboy

posted on 3/2/21 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Trust a politician to turn a tragedy into a PR opportunity.

That said, they're damned if they do and damned if they don't

steve m

posted on 3/2/21 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
What ever the Govenment do, or say, would be wrong in some peoples views,

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

David Jenkins

posted on 3/2/21 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Although he was a good man for whom I had a lot of respect, I simply do not see the point in standing outside my house in the dark, clapping.

There are so many better ways to commemorate this man.

russbost

posted on 3/2/21 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Although he was a good man for whom I had a lot of respect, I simply do not see the point in standing outside my house in the dark, clapping.

I agree, I think we've done enough standing outside & clapping, it made it's mark the first time around, I think there are many, many people who are now about at the end of their tether & clapping the sky won't help that

We've vaccinated over 10 million, already the vast majority of the top 4 groups (which don't appear to total the 15 million they originally discussed) we've had around 8 million or so who've had Covid, maybe more, surely between those 2 groups which we're adding to all the time, that should create some form of herd immunity, albeit limited - I think if they don't open the economy back up pretty fully when they reopen the schools there's likely to be some major unrest

In the meantime, let's just have fond memories of a great guy who did something that many people will remember until their dying day!

perksy

posted on 3/2/21 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

Agreed

Also many NHS staff including myself thought the weekly clapping went on far too long

We'd rather have folks abiding by the rules and not having sneaky get togethers and underground parties

Oh and a pay rise in April would help...

steve m

posted on 3/2/21 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
"Agreed

Also many NHS staff including myself thought the weekly clapping went on far too long

We'd rather have folks abiding by the rules and not having sneaky get togethers and underground parties "

Not going to happen, as there several idiots on this site, that think this pandemic is false, i am NOT one of them, i believe all the stuff we are in to be true, and horrendous, i could name them, but that wont help

perksy

posted on 3/2/21 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
"Agreed

We'd rather have folks abiding by the rules and not having sneaky get togethers and underground parties "

Not going to happen, as there several idiots on this site, that think this pandemic is false, i am NOT one of them, i believe all the stuff we are in to be true, and horrendous, i could name them, but that wont help

Trust me its true and I see the effects every day

As well as the patients that have sadly died, The NHS has lost over 300 staff to Covid now

Don't believe the bloody idiots showing videos on the internet of empty hospital depts late at night

BenB

posted on 3/2/21 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't hear no clapping but then I was at work.

I don't care tbh if he died of pneumonia with covid on top or not.
He was a good bloke and plenty of other good people dying from covid even if he didn't.
The whole "dying from sharkbite but tested positive for covid" is only one step away from a tin foil hat and burning down 5g masts.

Boris just felt he had to clap because he's a twat whose dithering has killed tens of thousands.

BenB

posted on 3/2/21 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perksy
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
"Agreed

Trust me its true and I see the effects every day

As well as the patients that have sadly died, The NHS has lost over 300 staff to Covid now

Don't believe the bloody idiots showing videos on the internet of empty hospital depts late at night

It's more like 850 nhs staff according to bmj and 300 doctors. Not sure it makes a difference. 850 too many.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.