Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: POE CCTV
John Bonnett

posted on 18/2/21 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
POE CCTV

Let me say from the outset that I know nothing about the technology so was heavily reliant on help and advice from those who do, including some good folk on here. The common advice was to use POE (power over ethernet).

Workshop security is of great interest to most of us so I thought I'd pen my experiences along the road to the installation of a remote system in case others like me know little about what is needed to comprise a system but would like to beef up security and peace of mind.

I have no Wifi in the workshop which is sited a couple of hundred yards from the house but I was able to install a Wifi bridge which line of sight fires it two or three kms so 200yds was no trouble.

I was advised and subsequently bought the whole kit from Broadbandbuyer whom I have found extremely helpful and knowledgeable. The manufacturer is Dahua and the system included a Ubiquiti receiver and transmitter to fire the Wifi up the garden, a 4 channel NVR, hard drive, monitor and initially two cameras one outside and the other in the workshop. I have had the system for a year now and am really pleased with its performance. Both cameras feature AI and it is possible to draw virtual tripwires and discriminate between people and vehicles. AI avoids false alerts as a result of movement of foliage etc. Remote access on the Iphone with alerts when the trip wires are crossed.

In the last week I have purchased two more cameras again Dahua but this time they are the groundbreaking TIOC (three in one) which give full colour at night, two way audio, recorded warning messages and blue and red flashing lights and of cours AI. All fully programmable with day and night schedules and warnings that can be set to suit the environment and time of day. Very impressive and at £92 less than I paid a year ago for a lesser spec camera.

This video covers the TIOC cameras in some detail.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHMNrq7VC4A

[Edited on 18/2/21 by John Bonnett]

bi22le

posted on 19/2/21 at 12:44 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for this info.

So you're system has a hard drive to store footage which you can then remotely tap into?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

John Bonnett

posted on 19/2/21 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
Yes. The NVR is fitted with a 2TB SATA hard drive and is installed with a monitor in the house. It is constantly recording but events are highlighted and can be replayed using the DVR PC or remotely from a smartphone.
nick205

posted on 19/2/21 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Good write up John, with excellent detail.

A neighbour of mine (self-employed electrician) recently fitted a motion triggered camera system on the front of his house. It coveres his work van over night to protect the contents (tools and materials). From what he explained to me it only records motion triggered events, not all the time. However, it records to an SD card in the camera body. He then has to retrieve the SD card, check for footage, store any footage, etc, etc. Whilst it didn't cost him much to buy/install, it seems quite long winded to use.

Your solution seems far more automated and easier to use!

John Bonnett

posted on 19/2/21 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Good write up John, with excellent detail.

A neighbour of mine (self-employed electrician) recently fitted a motion triggered camera system on the front of his house. It coveres his work van over night to protect the contents (tools and materials). From what he explained to me it only records motion triggered events, not all the time. However, it records to an SD card in the camera body. He then has to retrieve the SD card, check for footage, store any footage, etc, etc. Whilst it didn't cost him much to buy/install, it seems quite long winded to use.

Your solution seems far more automated and easier to use!

I'm really pleased with it Nick and the great thing is the technical back-up by Oprima. I really struggled to initialise the two new cameras but a phone call to Oprima and with the help of Teamviewer and a very pleasant technician at the other end all was accomplished painlessly. As far as I know the back is free and for lifetime.

Artificial intelligence and auto tracking virtually eliminate false alarms and the subject being tracked is kept in focus at all times. The camera also off motion sensing and a slot for an sd card. It really is quality gear. I do however have a suspicion that the Chinese are knocking these out for peanuts and have installed a bug so that they can breach security. It matters not a jot to me either way.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.