Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Painting on Tarmac
ken555

posted on 24/2/21 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Painting on Tarmac

Not the Nordschleifer but more an allocated parking space, as the current one is almost invisible.

Has anyone applied thermoplastic numbers at "home" it needs around 200c to melt, would it be possible to get those temps with a plumbers style torch?

Alternative is the planners type paint and a couple of stencils but not sure how long it would last before needing redone.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
HowardB

posted on 24/2/21 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
I would think that a butane torch will get it more than needed especially locally, a hot air gun maybe better, certainly I have used a hot air gun to stick bitumen roofing down something normally done with a massive gas torch.

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

nick205

posted on 24/2/21 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Can't comment on sticking the numbers down to tarmac.

Is this on private land?

If not then is it not someone else's job to do it?

Failing that can you fix a number to an adjacent wall or fence?

gremlin1234

posted on 24/2/21 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ken555
Alternative is the planners type paint and a couple of stencils but not sure how long it would last before needing redone.
this type of paint is designed to 'disappear' reasonably quickly, will probably last 1-3 months depending on 'traffic'

steve m

posted on 24/2/21 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
On ebay 292674390159

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

SteveWalker

posted on 25/2/21 at 12:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
I would think that a butane torch will get it more than needed especially locally, a hot air gun maybe better, certainly I have used a hot air gun to stick bitumen roofing down something normally done with a massive gas torch.

That's impressive. I'd have thought a hot air gun would have struggled with a max of 3kW - my blow torch is the sort of thing they use for roofing and is rated at 68kW. Upping the pressure on the variable regulator will take it up to 110kW. As you can imagine, it eats gas!

So far only tested burning weeds off the path - at which it is *VERY* good - although I have actually bought it for silver soldering a boiler for a 5" gauge steam loco, but can't do anything 'til the end of lockdown, as I need to access materials and tools and work at my parents'.

ken555

posted on 25/2/21 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
I have a friend that works for a roofing company, so the idea of the torches used for that is a possibility.

If not I will investigate the line paint on Ebay.

Yes private ground, each tenant is responsible for their parking space. I could go with a house type number fixed to the kerb, but a post would be out of place. No traffic as such over the number, as its in the middle of the width.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
HowardB

posted on 25/2/21 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB

That's impressive. I'd have thought a hot air gun would have struggled with a max of 3kW - my blow torch is the sort of thing they use for roofing and is rated at 68kW. Upping the pressure on the variable regulator will take it up to 110kW. As you can imagine, it eats gas!

So far only tested burning weeds off the path - at which it is *VERY* good - although I have actually bought it for silver soldering a boiler for a 5" gauge steam loco, but can't do anything 'til the end of lockdown, as I need to access materials and tools and work at my parents'.

I would rather work with my massive propane torch too but the hot air gun is much easier to drag onto the garage roof for a small patch repair.

[Edited on 25/2/21 by HowardB]

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

David Jenkins

posted on 25/2/21 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker

I bought a very large burner for my propane torch for exactly the same purpose. By the time I'd silver-soldered the boiler I'd frozen the gas cylinder to the floor - in the middle of summer! This particular burner sounded like Concorde on reheat when I was using it.

I also had to wear a heavy coat, gloves and a metal shield with a hole in it for the silver-solder rod, as the heat coming back off the 40-pound copper boiler was horrendous...

SteveWalker

posted on 25/2/21 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Running them in pairs (or more) helps - we used to do that with a water heater at my parents' holiday home in France. It would work fine off a single propane bottle, but even during the warm summer months, if using butane, you had to use two in parallel or it'd cool too much and stop releasing gas.

Yes, I am expecting it to be incredibly warm work - when burning weeds off, just the heat coming back at me was impressive.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.