Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mk4 Striker/Phoenix brakes
OwenSP

posted on 27/3/21 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Mk4 Striker/Phoenix brakes

Hi Chaps,

I own a mk4 striker/phoenix and am looking for some advice on brake calipers. I'd like to get some lightweight 4 pots to replace the current chevette calipers, are there any recommended aftermarket calipers that are a direct fit to the chevette uprights? I want to retain the current solid discs if possible, don't see the need for vented.

Thanks in advance!

[Edited on 27/3/21 by OwenSP]

[Edited on 27/3/21 by OwenSP]

obfripper

posted on 27/3/21 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
I've got wilwood midilites on my striker, they are a touch bigger than the powerlites (iirc about 1.5kg vs 1 kg) but are dust boot sealed and have a piston area very close to a m16 caliper, if your balance is currently ok you want to match the piston area to keep the balance good.

They are available with brackets for chevette/manta uprights, most of the kits i have seen are for vented discs though, i don't know if anyone sell kits to suit solid discs, if not they sell the calipers seperately and the mounts are just aluminium bar machined to fit

With solid discs and m1144 pads they are fine with all the striker can throw at them (road and track), you may find that you need to duct air at the discs with the phoenix, as the closed body reduces the airflow through the discs - if you don't have any problems presently then you should be ok.
Vented discs will cool more effectively without ducted air, but may overcool on straights etc which can be an issue with some performance pads, generally not a problem with standard road pads.

Dave

OwenSP

posted on 30/3/21 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for reply Dave. The midilites sound good and I'd prefer the dust boot, I think the weight off set is something I can live with!

I will pick up a pair for solid discs as they seem to be available separately, just need to see where I can get the brackets from. I have emailed Rally design as they sell the kit, lets see if they can provide the brackets too...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.