Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Boiler noise, any experts?
cliftyhanger

posted on 1/4/21 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
Boiler noise, any experts?

Got a Potterton Performa combi boiler, and it is making a loud humming/groaning noise soon after it fires up. It becomes a little quieter after about 10 mins, but is still comes and goes.
However, if I turn a hot tap on, the noise goes instantly.

My thoughts are that the heat main heat exchanger, pump etc are working with heating and hot water, so cant be either of those. Nor the DHW heat exchanger. So it must? be the diverter valve.... (pump runs smoothly if I touch it when running, but you can feel vibrations through te whole boiler when humming)
A kit to rebuild the valve is under £20, and as it is all water side I am confident to do this myself.

Anybody got any other bight ideas? plan B is a new boiler, but that is £1500....

joneh

posted on 1/4/21 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds feasible, if that doesn't work take a look at your pump as well, it may not being pushing the water around fast enough, causing a kettling type effect. When the diverter opens it lets more flow through and the noise disappears.

I had a valiant boiler that made groaning and kettling noises, turned out my pump had some swarf wrapped around the impeller, left in by my useless (ex) plumber, although it wasn't a combi.

Cannonball

posted on 1/4/21 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
We had our three year old Potterton promax boiler serviced and the next morning it was making weird noises. It sounded like the outer casing was vibrating. Turned out that it was running too lean or too rich. Can't remember which.
Mr Whippy

posted on 1/4/21 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
You often get a noise and vibration when a valve is only partially open, maybe its sticking and not able to open fully.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 1/4/21 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
You often get a noise and vibration when a valve is only partially open, maybe its sticking and not able to open fully.

That is what I am beginning to think. Got to be worth a try for the cost of a rebuild kit.
I forgot to mention, I have also cleaned out the hot water heat exchanger. That was quite scabby/nasty inside before the acid treatment. And I have some cleanser circulating to clean some of the crud out of the system, with a magnetic filter to hopefully catch the bits.

I won't get to it before Tuesday, will remove the diverter valve then. How hard can it be (probably realise I need smaller hands)

gremlin1234

posted on 1/4/21 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
most diverter valves have an 'override' mechanism, maybe try locking the valve open and trying it again. before you dismantle it
theconrodkid

posted on 1/4/21 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
try running it with the gas turned off, that will eliminate kettling.
mine did this, i went into the loft and found the header tank full of black sludge despite a new hot water tank being fitted only 6 months prior, drained the system, added inhibitor and it was 90 % quieter

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Jordan

posted on 1/4/21 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
When was the last time it was serviced?

It could be the high /low Co ratio is out and needs setting

Heat exchanger, expansion vessel, condensate trap blocked?

If you got about 10 or 12 rads / one bathroom id be looking at a baxi 800 or something with a 10yr warranty can't go wrong for the money your looking at about £1500- £1700 supply and fit here in S. Wales.

mark chandler

posted on 1/4/21 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Have you checked the expansion vessel is pumped up, it should have around 12 - 15 psi pressure with the system fully discharged.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.