New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What was for tea
jacko

posted on 26/4/21 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
What was for tea

Yummy we’ve just had a bbq first one this year
Any one else had one this year
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mackei23b

posted on 26/4/21 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
I've had several.... steaks were on the bbq last night
adithorp

posted on 26/4/21 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
No but on my first run out in the Fury (since before covid) last Friday, I smelt a lot of other people's. I'd forgotten how many things you smell in a kit that're filtered out in the tin-top.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Deckman001

posted on 26/4/21 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Have had four pizza nights so far over the last four weekends, and then yesterday we too had Steak on the bbq, I can't wait for the warmer weather to come along so that blankets aren't needed for staying outside

Jason

ReMan

posted on 26/4/21 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Cheating a bit , but we live off our gas barbie/grill
Started on it the weekend we opened gardens to family a few weeks ago and i cook on it regularly on week days as its quicker and leaner than other options.
Its a Weber and its all alloy/stainless unlike our previous ones and has lasted over 10 years already

Its not huge and is technically portable, we love it

weber

[Edited on 26/4/21 by ReMan]

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Toys2

posted on 27/4/21 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
My first BBQ this year was 2nd Jan
I'm totally addicted to it, so much so, I built an outdoor kitchen, it's taken 2 years of scrimping, saving and hard work, but it's paying off finally

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

DavSki153

posted on 27/4/21 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toys2
My first BBQ this year was 2nd Jan
I'm totally addicted to it, so much so, I built an outdoor kitchen, it's taken 2 years of scrimping, saving and hard work, but it's paying off finally

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

That looks Top Notch!! Is the red unit a smoker?

Toys2

posted on 27/4/21 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Thanks very much, the larger red BBQ is a regular Weber Kettle, it has a rotisserie extension ring on it in the picture, which makes it look massive
Hidden in the corner is a little ceramic Kamado, which I picked up on sale, I tend to use that for long smokes

James

posted on 27/4/21 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know how you lot do it.

I'm no cook (I consider beans on toast stretching my talents) but as my other half is veggie, when we have guests for a BBQ I end up with the BBQ'ing duties so she doesn't have to handle meat.

I find the whole process so stressful it nearly bloody kills me. I get too hot, I hate breathing in the smoke and I burn 90% of the food, the rest drops down the grill.
My heart sank when my parents bought me a posh Weber for a b-day as I knew I'd have to do even more and if anything I find it harder to use than the crappy cheap one as no height adjustment.

Whole thing drives me mad!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Toys2

posted on 27/4/21 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James

I'm no cook (I consider beans on toast stretching my talents) but as my other half is veggie, when we have guests for a BBQ I end up with the BBQ'ing duties so she doesn't have to handle meat.

I find the whole process so stressful it nearly bloody kills me. I get too hot, I hate breathing in the smoke and I burn 90% of the food, the rest drops down the grill.
My heart sank when my parents bought me a posh Weber for a b-day as I knew I'd have to do even more and if anything I find it harder to use than the crappy cheap one as no height adjustment.

There's a few tricks to make things easier
- Buy decent charcoal/briquettes
- Use a chimney starter, you light the charcoal in this, only when it's lit, with ash on the surface, do you tip it into the BBQ
- Create different heat zones, bank up the charcoal in some areas and none in others, that way you can move the food around depending on how it's cooking

James

posted on 27/4/21 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

There's a few tricks to make things easier
- Buy decent charcoal/briquettes
- Use a chimney starter, you light the charcoal in this, only when it's lit, with ash on the surface, do you tip it into the BBQ
- Create different heat zones, bank up the charcoal in some areas and none in others, that way you can move the food around depending on how it's cooking

Thank you.

In terms of 'decent charcoal' how do I tell what's good? Last BBQ we used those lighting bags. But I have noticed it all seems be hotter but shorter duration with those. You only get 1 cooking session when I'm sure in the good old days of coal and fire lighters you got 2 shots at it!

I have a cheapo Tescos chimney thing.

Thanks again!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Toys2

posted on 27/4/21 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Thank you.

In terms of 'decent charcoal' how do I tell what's good? Last BBQ we used those lighting bags. But I have noticed it all seems be hotter but shorter duration with those. You only get 1 cooking session when I'm sure in the good old days of coal and fire lighters you got 2 shots at it!

I have a cheapo Tescos chimney thing.

Thanks again!

I use Weber briquettes, which can often be bought for a good price from Go Outdoors, paying that little extra means that they are hot for longer and more consistent

ReMan

posted on 28/4/21 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Thanks very much, the larger red BBQ is a regular Weber Kettle, it has a rotisserie extension ring on it in the picture, which makes it look massive
Hidden in the corner is a little ceramic Kamado, which I picked up on sale, I tend to use that for long smokes

Wow great set up. Never smoked/smokered myself , but I'd like to try it if i had more time and, like yours a pleasant place to put one

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

McLannahan

posted on 28/4/21 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Interesting you posted that! I've also recently acquired a Weber too and thought it would be a massive improvement on the cheap one we had. But yes, same issues. No height adjustment and the first time I used it I think I had much too much charcoal so no food could escape the heat!

A bank of coals is a good idea Toys2 - I'll try that next time. Last one was a little more successful, but I just used fewer coals, I still didn't have a slow cook/warm zone.

I don't know why I assumed the Weber would be better - but I chucked the old one in the dump metal waste...so stuck with this one now!

l

nick205

posted on 30/4/21 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Very impressive chaps - makes me feel a bit lazy being a firm gas BBQ'er these days!

I think when the kids were young gas lent itself to a faster start time, more heat control and being able to get them involved with BBQ'ing.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.