Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: emission test challenge in the Netherlands, move to EFI
Steef74

posted on 11/5/21 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
emission test challenge in the Netherlands, move to EFI

Dears.

After 6 years of not driving my MK indy, as an MOT was needed. I am planning to start the work again on the car this summer
One of my biggest fears is passing emission test with a carbed zx9r indy.

Only option I see is moving from carb to EFI, it is a zx9r C engine from 99.
I want to use a megasquirt V3 and the trigger wheel of a z1000, can somebody provide some guidance on how to go about?
What injection to get, what type trigger wheel, adjustments in the loom, engine maps.. any bits and pieces needed..

I have seen people doing a conversion before, so I guess it should not be that rocket science, but is hard getting the complete picture from A to Z.

any help is much appreciated...

Benzine

posted on 11/5/21 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum. I can't help with your question but I'm sure someone will be along soon.

I'm the meantime please send hagelslag

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 11/5/21 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Look on the ZX9R Forum, ZX10 throttle bodies apparently fit straight on.
I got my ZX9R through IVA with carbs https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172091

Bluemoon

posted on 12/5/21 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Might be worth saying what emissions you have to meet?
sebastiaan

posted on 12/5/21 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Probably 0.5% CO at idle and CO below 0.5% plus lambda between 1.03 and 0.97 at 3000RPM

As an alternative to going EFI, ISTR that there were "SVA emissions" kits for bike carbs that bled in a small amount of air based on lambda sensor feedback. One of those and a, erm, "quick release" catalyst might be enough to squeeze through every year. If you can get your hands on a kit or cobble something up yourself... Not thát hard to do.

edit: This thread: https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=212703 has the info you need, with this post in particular:

quote:
Originally posted by robertst
quote:
Originally posted by watsonpj
I used what russ was suggesting to get through my emissions. It had a control module and two valves which were connected to the inlets just below the carbs (fireblade )

It was very easy to setup as you just set it up normally, richen it up till a light came on then switched the unit on. Went through emission easy, Amalyos on here also got through sva using it also.

I bought it from Fisher sports cars then sold it on here. Haven't seen it advertised since.

Pete

Hi all,

Just chiming in to update you on this. After searching on the internet for an air injection kit like the one Fisher Sportscars used to supply and getting absolutely no results... I thought, how hard can it be to make one? so I decided to make my own air injector controller using an arduino, some simple coding, a couple of transistors, vacuum lines, my AFR gauge and two EGR solenoids from an audi to feed the air to the manifold.

Given that i already had an AFR gauge that outputs a linear voltage for datalogging, i decided to tap into that and drive the arduino off it.

Then i compiled a simple code instructing the arduino to power the solenoids and therefore inject air into the manifold when a voltage threshold (i,e. below 14.7 AFR) is exceeded.

So far its working quite well!

it hovers between 0.90 and 1.10 lambda at idle and between 0.99 at 1.01 at 2500rpm! so, like russbost and big_wasa mentioned, i'll have to tinker a little bit more to make it more stable... maybe restricting the air intakes to the solenoids a little bit so it doesnt inject too much air and therefore reducing the fluctuations? My goal is to get it within 0.98 to 1.03 lambda, which is the limit here for emissions.

now i just need to find a friendly garage with a gas tester to confirm CO and Lambda readings! wish me luck!

Thanks a million to all for the help!!

Tom

[Edited on 20/8/18 by robertst]

[Edited on 12/5/21 by sebastiaan]

mackei23b

posted on 13/5/21 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
My C1 passed the SVA emissions, just re-jetted and with a CAT, not sure if this helps, though EFI may be a more reliable solution?
robertst

posted on 14/5/21 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sebastiaan
Probably 0.5% CO at idle and CO below 0.5% plus lambda between 1.03 and 0.97 at 3000RPM

As an alternative to going EFI, ISTR that there were "SVA emissions" kits for bike carbs that bled in a small amount of air based on lambda sensor feedback. One of those and a, erm, "quick release" catalyst might be enough to squeeze through every year. If you can get your hands on a kit or cobble something up yourself... Not thát hard to do.

edit: This thread: https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=212703 has the info you need, with this post in particular:

quote:
Originally posted by robertst
quote:
Originally posted by watsonpj
I used what russ was suggesting to get through my emissions. It had a control module and two valves which were connected to the inlets just below the carbs (fireblade )

It was very easy to setup as you just set it up normally, richen it up till a light came on then switched the unit on. Went through emission easy, Amalyos on here also got through sva using it also.

I bought it from Fisher sports cars then sold it on here. Haven't seen it advertised since.

Pete

Hi all,

Just chiming in to update you on this. After searching on the internet for an air injection kit like the one Fisher Sportscars used to supply and getting absolutely no results... I thought, how hard can it be to make one? so I decided to make my own air injector controller using an arduino, some simple coding, a couple of transistors, vacuum lines, my AFR gauge and two EGR solenoids from an audi to feed the air to the manifold.

Given that i already had an AFR gauge that outputs a linear voltage for datalogging, i decided to tap into that and drive the arduino off it.

Then i compiled a simple code instructing the arduino to power the solenoids and therefore inject air into the manifold when a voltage threshold (i,e. below 14.7 AFR) is exceeded.

So far its working quite well!

it hovers between 0.90 and 1.10 lambda at idle and between 0.99 at 1.01 at 2500rpm! so, like russbost and big_wasa mentioned, i'll have to tinker a little bit more to make it more stable... maybe restricting the air intakes to the solenoids a little bit so it doesnt inject too much air and therefore reducing the fluctuations? My goal is to get it within 0.98 to 1.03 lambda, which is the limit here for emissions.

now i just need to find a friendly garage with a gas tester to confirm CO and Lambda readings! wish me luck!

Thanks a million to all for the help!!

Tom

Hey! yeah, that was a last resort I had to apply to get the dirty old pinto to pass Spanish MOT. But since then, I passed the latest MOT a couple of months ago and I didn't even need that contraption anymore, the carbs were spot on and the engine ran sweet. Sounds like emissions regs over there are the same as in Spain. If you can get the carbs running perfectly, you should be able to pass the test, much more so with a ZX9r engine which is vastly cleaner than the Pinto . A wideband is an absolute must, as is a cat (if your car doesn't have one already) and if you can find a friendly garage with a gas tester you'll get it spot on. Another tip is to book the test for first thing in the morning. At least it makes a difference here in Spain as AFRs are much more stable with cool morning air.

Best of luck!

[Edited on 14/5/21 by robertst]

Tom

Steef74

posted on 7/9/21 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
I just want to get rid of the carbs, I saw indeed airbleeds are being used, but is seems the ZX9r c1 engine can be setup using zx10 stuff and was designed to take EFI, as is is basically a Z1000.

I have seen Dave_424 did the same conversion, I dropped him an U2U to see if he can support and point me in the correct direction for parts and settings..

With injection and a laptop, I hope you can alter and setup maps more easily than using airbleeds and good luck at MOT

maarten700

posted on 28/11/21 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steef74
I just want to get rid of the carbs, I saw indeed airbleeds are being used, but is seems the ZX9r c1 engine can be setup using zx10 stuff and was designed to take EFI, as is is basically a Z1000.

I have seen Dave_424 did the same conversion, I dropped him an U2U to see if he can support and point me in the correct direction for parts and settings..

With injection and a laptop, I hope you can alter and setup maps more easily than using airbleeds and good luck at MOT

Shoot me an e-mail , i can…. Nederlands dus 😂.

Ik kan je met bijde gevallen helpen met je co probleem, of het nu met de carbs is of met het ombouwen naar standalone ecu.

Maarten700@hotmail.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.