Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine oil 20/50
Dingz

posted on 15/5/21 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Engine oil 20/50

A friend has an MGC and is changing the oil, it takes an awful lot, about 7 litres. He has put in Duckhams classic 20/50 and wonders if its ok to mix it with Silkolene Silkolube 20/50, I think it will be OK. The Duckhams claims to have a zinc additive, any ideas?

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

cliftyhanger

posted on 15/5/21 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Usually though best to not mix oils. But I can't see an issue, they are old fashioned dino oil, very basic.
The Duckhams additive will be ZDDP, supposed to be needed for flat tappet engines. It is probably in teh sikolene stuff too. E|ven the fully synthetic stuff I use in the st170 engine has 1000ppm of the stuff....

mgb281

posted on 30/5/21 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Here are some replies from the MG Experience MGC forum to a question as to what engine oil to use in a MGC;
"No dilemna.
The ZDDP is essential in cam brake-in of flat tappet engines. Once that has happened, I personally believe that its importance is somewhat diminished.
Can't go wrong with good ole Castrol 20x50....add some additional ZDDP (available from STP) if you wish.
Mobil One makes a good synthetic 20w50....but knowing you....your oil changes will be more frequent than the life of the oil.
Stick with dinosaurs".

"Using Valvoline 20w50 VR1 Racing Oil, not the synthetic racing oil. High in ZDDP."

"Agree with all above. Use a good oil, change it every 3000 mi and add a dash of zddp if desired. I like Castrol but will buy wnat is on sale as long as it is 20w50. I dont need synthetic."

Hope this helps

Dingz

posted on 31/5/21 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies!

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.