Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Xflow popping Carb !
Peter Cowley

posted on 31/1/05 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Xflow popping Carb !

Hi All,

I've just had my engine running for the time after a full rebuild - cheesy grin from ear to ear !!!

I have a question .,....

I have done the usual 2500 rpm on first start up etc and the engine seems to be running superb BUT one of the twin 40 dellortos is popping, and if you look down the trumpet you can see the blue flame explosion when it does it. The carbs were on the car when i bought it and seemed to run ok'ish.

Is there a quickfix, as I don't want to get it rolling roaded before its run in ??

Mixture, ignition timing ????

Please be gentle as i don't really understand carbs !!

Any ideas...

Cheers.

Peter.

chunkielad

posted on 31/1/05 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
From my motorbike experience, this sounds like either the needle is sticking a little and letting too much fuel in or they just need balancing.

If it's sticking, carb cleaner may do it, they may need a stripdown and clean.

If they need balancing, you'll need a guage set and a little screwdriver or your thunbs if it's a thumbscrew!

theconrodkid

posted on 31/1/05 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
could be a tight valve or air leak on that cylinder

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Peter Cowley

posted on 31/1/05 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your replies chaps...
I have just checked the manifold is tight, that seemed ok - s'pose next thing is to check the tappets. I gotta get the ali rocker cover off anyway, as its not sealing round the gasket, it doesn't seems flat ??

It is very likely they will need setting up, but I haven't got a clue when it comes to carbs, i might have to get somebody in to have a go ! Probably my missus dad ,he's a real mechanic !!!!!!!

Any more suggestions welcome.

Or even better a beginners guide to twin carbs.

Cheers

Peter.

chunkielad

posted on 31/1/05 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
On my GS500, I taught myself to balance them - i think GSTWIN FORUMS has a setup guide but I might be wrong. Alternatively chack the web for carb balancing and you'll get a simple how to - it is not hard mate!!! You will need a guage though. It is worth spraying some carb cleaner through first anyway as you never know what crap is in there especially if they have old petrol in them.
britishtrident

posted on 31/1/05 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
Stop !!!!!
40s don't have needles --- and the carbs shouldn't be tight on the manifold they are mounted via O rings and thackery spring washers that should have a 0.025" gap between the coils.

(1) Check the jets are clean particularly the idle jets
(2) Check the firing order Fords are an odd ball 1243 not the normal, 1342
(3) Only then synch the carbs.

[Edited on 31/1/05 by britishtrident]

[Edited on 31/1/05 by britishtrident]

Stu16v

posted on 1/2/05 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Stop !!!!!
40s don't have needles --- and the carbs shouldn't be tight on the manifold they are mounted via O rings and thackery spring washers that should have a 0.025" gap between the coils.

And if you do have thackery washers, consider ditching them because they are sh1te TBH, they do have a tendency to break and release clamping force. Far superior are rubber bobbins and cup washers.

Also, if you have 'O' ring type seals that sit either side of a retainer, consider ditching these too, and replace with 'Misab' plates, which is an aluminium plate with the 'O' ring bonded on. The other type invariably leaks, and 'O' rings can ultimately be ingested into the engine. They are more commonly known for causing air leaks (together with broken thackery washers), which will cause popping at the carbs...

[Edited on 1/2/05 by Stu16v]

Dont just build it.....make it!

muller

posted on 2/2/05 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Had a similar problem: spitting back through the carbs (twin DCOE40's) esp when cold.

Turned out it was a combination of the carbs not being syncronised and a small airleak on the manifold.

Peteff

posted on 2/2/05 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
This is for carbs fitted to a pinto but it gives a bit of a guide to setting them up once the engine is running.
http://hometown.aol.com/dvandrews/dellorto.htm

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Peter Cowley

posted on 2/2/05 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
The last link proves useful.

I may have a pop this weekend (and really annoy the neighbours).

Cheers

Peter.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.