Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fiat/Alfa TwinAir as donor car
Replicar328

posted on 30/6/21 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Fiat/Alfa TwinAir as donor car

Just wondering if anyone has used, or considered using, a (salvage) Alfa MiTo or TwinAir engined Fiat as a donor car for a rear engined "Locost" along the lines of Allan Staniforth's Terrapin which used the real Mini engine and box in the back?

I'm currently driving an 875cc two cylinder turbo MiTo which great fun - thinking of designing a spaceframe chassis to accommodate such an engine/drivetrain in the back, hoping someone has done something similar for some guidance....

adampage

posted on 30/6/21 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Great idea!

And i think the Panda and Punto with that engine are getting cheaper now, but i did read the electronics are quite hard to work with on them, either to tune them, or to run them out of the original bodyshell/loom.

Would be fun though, I also like all the 1l triples companies use now like Ford & BMW among others.

Good luck if you get going with it!

Ad

Replicar328

posted on 1/7/21 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your enthusiastic reply, good point about the wiring, may have to find an alfa mechanic who knows his way around it.

it's a problem across the board with more recent cars, partly why I abandoned using an MX5 as a donor on my current project, switching to an MGB engine and gearbox with SU carbs, all of which I understand

Maybe I'm out of touch - please could you clarify for me "1l triples"? I googled and found "1L Triple S 3-in-1 Toilet Cleaner" which I'm fairly certain isn't right

adampage

posted on 1/7/21 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Ha ha :)

Sorry, i meant all the small three cylinder engines like Ford 1litre and 1.5litre (the one in the Fiesta ST is 256bhp from Mountune from a 1.5), BMW 1.5litre, Renault/Nissan 1litre, I think Honda make a 1litre, etc

We're building with a crossflow at the moment so the same simpler approach as you, but would fancy a more modern project at some point...

nick205

posted on 2/7/21 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
1L triples

1.0L capacity / triple cyclinder

Most car/engine makers have been at it for quite some time already.

Had an Opel Corsa hire car on holiday some years ago. Sounded rough as hell and when you opened the bonnet there was space for a party around the brief case size engine.

VAG (VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda) also have smaller capacity engines, often turbocharged and/or supercharged to increase power output. VW have cars with a 1.4L petrol engine that's turbocharged & supercharged. The idea being to overcome turbo lagwith a supercharger. A friend has a Golf with one - bought it thinking it would be economical - sadly he's rather BOOST addicted and get's pretty poor economy from it.

nick205

posted on 2/7/21 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
There's something to be said for using engines, ancillaries and wiring that's easier to work with and understand. I know I found this working with the Ford 2.0 Pinto for my MK Indy. People belittle them for being heavy and old. They work and they're easy to understand and work with.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.