Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine machine shop Glasgow/Central belt
sdh2903

posted on 3/9/21 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Engine machine shop Glasgow/Central belt

Anyone got any reccomendations for an engine builder/machine shop for some general work, block rebore and hone, crank polish etc? I'm near Glasgow but anywhere central belt ish is fine.

Plenty come up on Google but It'd be good to get some reccomendations.

Steve

britishtrident

posted on 4/9/21 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Basically it is choice between T.M. Smith in Coatbridge and Southern Cylinder Grinding Company Nithsdale Drive -

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Mike Wood

posted on 5/9/21 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
A bit beyond your search area, but I have a pal who swears by John McKean in Dumfries: https://www.dumfriespages.co.uk/company/438566501376000

Greetings from Ayrshire.

Cheers
Mike

sdh2903

posted on 5/9/21 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers gents I'll make some calls tomorrow.

Britishtrident are they people you've used in the past?

craig1410

posted on 5/9/21 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
I used these guys many many years ago for a cylinder head skim and valve seat replacement. This is probably 25 years ago but they are still around it seems. In fact they’ve been around for 90 years and are a 4th generation family run company according to their website.

I would describe them as an old-school machine shop full of grumpy but very knowledgable bearded engineers in blue overalls.

https://www.wose.co.uk/engine-department

[Edited on 5/9/2021 by craig1410]

RedAvon

posted on 6/9/21 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
I can vouch for John McKean, Dumfries. I've had my engine work done there and other bits n bobs.

They're very conscientious and do great job. Only thing is they're a small family business and very busy, so you will have to wait a while for them to turn the job around.

This isn't a criticism, I've always been happy to wait and have the job done right.

Ian

Bricoleur

JonBowden

posted on 6/9/21 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
There’s JEM in Falkirk, they were recommended to me.
There’s also a chap, Mike, Blane engineering in Killearn but he doesn’t do crankshafts.

Jon

Mike Wood

posted on 12/9/21 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Another suggestion from me not quite in the search area - have you thought about Agra Engineering in Dundee?
http://www.agra-eng.co.uk/

Cheers
Mike

sdh2903

posted on 12/9/21 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers all. I ended up at West of Scotland engineering. The 2 that BT linked to seem to be no more. The place down in Dumfries sounded great but they were snowed under for the next few months. To be fair most places I phoned, including some listed above sounded completely disinterested and gave numerous excuses to basically put me off. Guess these businesses must be plenty busy and not want the work.

Anyway the guys at Wose were great and the work should be done by end of the week.

coyoteboy

posted on 13/9/21 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Funny isn't it, I called a bunch of places to get suspension alignment done by someone more competent than ATS (lifted vehicle, needs some tweaking to get back to factory spec). Every one I called was like "well it sounds like it's not your normal amount of effort, not sure when I can fit that in, maybe you'd be best elsewhere". I'm thinking this is an opportunity to charge more for extra effort, they seem to be thinking they just want to push through standard work as fast as possible.

JonBowden

posted on 14/9/21 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

they seem to be thinking they just want to push through standard work as fast as possible

I've had similar problems trying to find someone willing to do paintwork - everyone just wants insurance jobs

Jon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.