Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bike alignment
luke2152

posted on 4/10/21 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
bike alignment

Far from locost related but I'm sure an appropriate audience:

I'm building a Yamaha TRX 850 with a Triumph speed triple rear end on it (and a host of other bits from other bikes). It is a single sided swingarm which if I'm honest serves little practical purpose but I like the engineering behind it.

I've test fitted it and the rear wheel is offset to the right a bit. I've tried to string line it and it seems to be 10mm ish plus or minus a couple of mm but I want to be more precise, ideally within 1mm. Any suggestions as a method? I'll be either getting the wheel skimmed or the swingarm depending on what works best for the chain line.

pewe

posted on 5/10/21 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
IIRC correctly flourescent light tubes are die straight.
HTH. Cheers, Pewe

coyoteboy

posted on 5/10/21 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
What's your centre reference feature and how are you sure the front wheel is centred on it?

bi22le

posted on 5/10/21 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
I have never had to solve this problem so I am literally typing as I think.

When I have three type of datum issues I really to triangles and pythags, coz maths don't lie!

So, measure the distance from your front axle to your rear, that's one side of the triangle.

Jack up the front of your bike and remove the wheel, put a broom stick or something in the forks replacing the front wheel axle. Measure out a distance along that broom sideways from the bike.

You now have 2 sides and a right angle. Calc the hypotenuse and see if it hours the rear axle.

This will help to check if your front wheel is pointing straight and how in line your rear wheel is.

Ink guessing it would anyway. . . .

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

luke2152

posted on 6/10/21 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
IIRC correctly flourescent light tubes are die straight.
HTH. Cheers, Pewe

Interesting. I don't think I've got space on the left side of the wheel for a flourescent tube but I'm going to remember that fact for next time it comes in handy!

luke2152

posted on 6/10/21 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
I have never had to solve this problem so I am literally typing as I think.

When I have three type of datum issues I really to triangles and pythags, coz maths don't lie!

So, measure the distance from your front axle to your rear, that's one side of the triangle.

Jack up the front of your bike and remove the wheel, put a broom stick or something in the forks replacing the front wheel axle. Measure out a distance along that broom sideways from the bike.

You now have 2 sides and a right angle. Calc the hypotenuse and see if it hours the rear axle.

This will help to check if your front wheel is pointing straight and how in line your rear wheel is.

Ink guessing it would anyway. . . .

I like the idea. I suspect that it would be skewed by the slightest degree of steering input which is kind of the point but hard to protect against.

Fred W B

posted on 7/10/21 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
To do this, assuming you are referencing to the frame:

Clamp or bolt a suitable length of aluminum angle or channel as a straightedge to the frame at half wheel height using suitable spacers to clear the engine etc.

Check straightedge datum is parallel to the frame.

Measure from straightedge datum to reference points on frame left and right to determine dimension to centerline of frame from straight edge = Dimension A.

Measure from straightedge datum to front and rear of rear wheel rim wheel and align wheel until dimensions from wheel to straight edge are equal front and back = Dimension B.

Add half of rim width at measuring point to dimension B = dimension C.

Difference between dimension A and C is how much you have to move the wheel.

You can also use measurements from the straightedge datum to the front and rear sprockets to align those components.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.