Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: You are a bunch of well read lot so . . . . .
nick205

posted on 18/11/21 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
If I don't like a book I don't have to finish it ,right?

Bang on - if the books not doing it for you then leave it.

I struggled on with a few books before it finally struck me I could just put it down unfinished and start another.

TV & films are the same if it's not working for you then move on (I've fallen asleep and snored in the cinema - the downside - it's a ££ pricey sleep ).

James

posted on 19/11/21 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Finding books that you like can be quite a journey! People's opinions vary so much - some love Dune, others hate it (I'm in the first camp). I love to read Terry Pratchett's books, but others dislike them intensely - my sister-in-law hates any sort of fantasy fiction, despite me telling her that Pratchett's books are all about the real world and real lives, in a fantasy wrapper.

I'm a huge Pratchett fan. Have spent 20 years trying to get my missus to read them with little success. She read Guards Guards! and didn't get any further sadly!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Mike Wood

posted on 19/11/21 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I'm so glad I posted this question, thanks to everyone who has taken their time to post up their thoughts.

…. If I don't like a book I don't have to finish it ,right?

You are very welcome. It is great you are asking and that this forum once again comes up with positive and helpful advice.

As for not finishing stuff - exactly, this is supposed to be fun and interesting. It does make recommendations tricky as what someone finds a good read in terms of subject matter and style of writing might be dry and not engaging for others. Just like music. The best non-fiction books are those where someone can write in a engaging manner, particularly on a topic that you may not be that into or know much about. I have picked up books because they are the only source on the topic and can struggle, even if I am fascinated by the topic!

If you do come across stuff you like, post up your recommendations.

Happy reading. Do not forget good light and keeping the book at the correct distance will help save your eyes. I knackered my sight reading as a kid!

Cheers
Mike

[Edited on 19/11/21 by Mike Wood]

David Jenkins

posted on 19/11/21 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
If I don't like a book I don't have to finish it ,right?

Absolutely! So many times I've had books recommended to me, or some pundit has announced that "everyone should read this", and when I've tried to read it I've been bored rigid within a chapter or two. A classic example (literally) is War and Peace by Tolstoy - I realised early on that I couldn't remember the long-winded Russian names of all the leading characters (or couldn't be bothered to remember them) so I didn't get too far.

Not to say that you shouldn't try and read the classics - one of my favourite books is The Count of Monte Cristo - but it's a hefty book and takes a bit of getting into. A Take of Two Cities by Dickens is another - but that is another heavy-duty book that won't be to everyone's taste. But the classics aren't compulsory! There are so many good modern authors around, but the trick is to find them amongst all the dross...

Sanzomat

posted on 10/12/21 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the tip regarding the Libby app. As it turns out my local library service uses Borrowbox for ebooks and Libby for magazines. I've downloaded both and now have free access to loads of books and pretty much every magazine on the newsagents shelf (notably except for Complete Kit Car but I subscribe to that anyway). Also thanks for the tip re the Mitch Rapp series - I've read the whole Jack Reacher series so was after a fix of something similar and now have one of those on my ipad for free!

Have also got some brownie points by passing on the tip to SWMBO who is also enjoying the magazine selection

Irony

posted on 15/12/21 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Bill Bryson - A short history of nearly everything. Simply amazing book.
David Jenkins

posted on 15/12/21 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
I had forgotten Bill Bryson - many of his books are very funny, and educational too, in an unexpected "I didn't know that" sort of way when he's telling his stories.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.