Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Looking for 2" ID springs
Matty Dog

posted on 24/1/22 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Looking for 2" ID springs

I'm getting to the stage where I might soon be able to take my project for it's first tentative drive - on a private road of course...
So far, I've used legnths of PVC tubing in the place of springs. This works pretty well for keepig the car at a consistent ride height while I'm building it, but of course no good for driving.
I have been using the various Spring Rate Calculators online to figure out what springs I need, but I suspect there will be a bit of trial and error.
I'm wondering if anyone has any 2.00" ID springs that they are not using that they would sell me. I think I want to start with about a 300lb spring and 5" to 7" free legnth, but I'd be happy to play around with other spring rates and legnths too.

Cheers, Matthew

Mike Wood

posted on 25/1/22 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I do not know of a coil spring manufacturer or supplier in New Zealand, but have posted your query on the MG Midget BBS Technical forum to ask, as someone on there might know: https://mg-cars.org.uk/cgi-bin/or17?runprog=mgbbs&mode=thread&access=&subject=97&source=T&thread=20220125204410117187

What are you building?

Cheers
Mike

Matty Dog

posted on 25/1/22 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mike,

Oops.... I've just seen my profile says I still live in New Zealand.
I actually moved to Scotland seven years ago, and my project was finally shipped over last year.

I am building something that vaguely resembles a Seven, but up-sized a bit, using Toyota Supra front suspension and Lexus IS200 rear suspension and a Lexus V8. It's based on a picture of a one-off "sports rod" called the Troy Roadster that I saw a picture of many years ago.

The inspiration:

Mike Wood

posted on 25/1/22 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Matthew

As you are in the UK now, try Faulkner Springs see: https://dfaulknersprings.com/product/2-0-inch-id-5-inch-free-length-standard-spring/
(Note they can do special lengths and rates too). Faulkner supply Merlin Motorsport: https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/s/faulkners-race-springs />

Comment from a poster, Willy from Taz, on the MG Midget BBS:
‘Someone like Merlin, etc would have a range of springs to suit him but he's probably after some 2nd hand ones to try for starters maybe-
The most common size nowadays is 2.5" id to fit the larger shocker housings but there would/should be plenty of 2" about---or you can get 2"-2.5" adapter collars
He should go to a race meeting somewhere and ask about if he wants 2nd handies for a try’

Cheers
Mike

PS hi from Ayrshire

[Edited on 26/1/22 by Mike Wood]

Matty Dog

posted on 26/1/22 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mike,

I picked a pair up cheap on eBay today. They are 550lb, which will almost certainly be far too high, but at the price (£13 each), they will be an adequate starting point for the first drive.......better than PVC tube anyway.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.