Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 205 GTI ECU recommendations
Gaz7612

posted on 3/2/22 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
205 GTI ECU recommendations

Hello everyone,

I know this isn't a kitcar based question, however you are a knowledgeable bunch.

I'm looking for recommendations on which ECU to get for my 205 GTI, budget of around £1200 ideally, the car is mainly a weekend with the odd track day car. Spec and requirements below.

206 gti 180 (EW10J4S) engine with VVT
Rotrex C30-94 supercharger
630cc deca injectors

Requirements:
Full control of VVT
Closed loop wideband lambda control
Active knock control
DBW (future project)
Water methanol control (fail safe if WMI runs out)
Flex Fuel adjustment (or worst case switchable maps)
Plus normal engine sensor i.e injector and ignition.

At the minute my short list are:
MaxxECU Race
EMU Master Black
Canems Sequential

I am however open to other suggestions, my chosen mapper is happy mapping any ECU (Chris @EFI-Parts)

Many thanks
Gaz

[Edited on 3/2/22 by Gaz7612]

nick205

posted on 3/2/22 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Gaz,

I'm a large 205GTI fan myself on my 3rd at the moment.

All have had OEM engines and ECUs though so I can't advise on you're question.

Does your chosen mapper have any suggestion (or preference) either from your shortlist or other ECUs?

Often using the knowledge of people who work with the things can pay dividends as they'll have seen the good and bad.

Alternatively, is there a forum where people have made similar engine conversions and may be able to offer real world experience?

Gaz7612

posted on 3/2/22 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Gaz,

I'm a large 205GTI fan myself on my 3rd at the moment.

All have had OEM engines and ECUs though so I can't advise on you're question.

Does your chosen mapper have any suggestion (or preference) either from your shortlist or other ECUs?

Often using the knowledge of people who work with the things can pay dividends as they'll have seen the good and bad.

Alternatively, is there a forum where people have made similar engine conversions and may be able to offer real world experience?

The mappper doesn't have a preference and is more than happy mapping anything from Megasquirt to Motec!!!

As for forums and real world experience, this engine and supercharger are quite an unknown combo tbh.

I'm more interested in the ECU itself rather than the engine it is controlling, VVT engines are fairly common place now.

I'm just trying to future proof my build as far as possible and hopefully have some spare inputs/outputs should the 205 develop even further.

coyoteboy

posted on 3/2/22 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Most ECUs will do all of those requirements, it really is down to the nuances of each and only a decent experienced tuner will know those.

Those are some big injectors for a 2 litre s/c engine, you just covering for future increases?

Gaz7612

posted on 3/2/22 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Most ECUs will do all of those requirements, it really is down to the nuances of each and only a decent experienced tuner will know those.

Those are some big injectors for a 2 litre s/c engine, you just covering for future increases?

Yes the injectors are to future proof, once the engine is running correctly I plan to build a spare engine over next winter and push closer to the Rotrex C30-94 limits maybe even close to 400bhp

perksy

posted on 3/2/22 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
I like MBE but only because I've had good experiences with it

With that spec' how about DTA or Emerald?

snapper

posted on 5/2/22 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz7612

The mappper doesn't have a preference and is more than happy mapping anything from Megasquirt to Motec!!!

As for forums and real world experience, this engine and supercharger are quite an unknown combo tbh.

I'm more interested in the ECU itself rather than the engine it is controlling, VVT engines are fairly common place now.

I'm just trying to future proof my build as far as possible and hopefully have some spare inputs/outputs should the 205 develop even further.

This has spurred me on to look for Megasquirt tuners (and magajolt)
I’ll be using Autotune for tote squirt to get me near… it would be good to get a list of Megasquirt and Megajolt friendly tuners.
Chris@EFI-parts is first on my list

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Gaz7612

posted on 10/2/22 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz7612

This has spurred me on to look for Megasquirt tuners (and magajolt)
I’ll be using Autotune for tote squirt to get me near… it would be good to get a list of Megasquirt and Megajolt friendly tuners.
Chris@EFI-parts is first on my list

Chris is brilliant and his attention to detail is flawless, he mapped my old engine on throttle bodies. That drove like a standard car on part throttle and returned brilliant mpg (not that that is important in a toy)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.