Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wrong antifreeze
JeffHs

posted on 19/2/22 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Wrong antifreeze

I've got a '78 Pinto in my car. 3 years ago I fitted an ally Polo rad, did some research and convinced myself I needed pink OAT
antifreeze. Last year I was plagued with overheating issues. I found that the thermostat had dropped out of its housing because the steel
retaining spring had rotted away. I later found that the water pump I'd fitted years ago (an aftermarket cheapo with steel fins) had also lost
half of the length of each fin. At the time I thought that the bits of the broken spring had knackered the pump, but after starting the car a week ago
it leaked badly from the front core plug. I thought it must have been frost damage because with all the draining and refilling I'd probably got a weak
antifreeze solution. I looked very carefully at the core pug and decided that it hadn't been pushed out but had just rotted.
I replaced it but there's 3 more and one of them is behind the bell housing so an engine out job to fix

Have I got the wrong antifreeze?

adithorp

posted on 19/2/22 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
OAT is anti-corrosive just the same as ethelene-glycol. Could be you've got some dodgy/fake stuff. Or too weak a solution (should be between 30+50% af) or you might have mistakenly bought premix and then diluted it further thinking it was neat. Or just the corrosion was already there. Has it ever not had antifreeze?

[Edited on 19/2/22 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

JeffHs

posted on 19/2/22 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Halford's concentrate 30% mix.
Never been run without antifreeze

mcerd1

posted on 19/2/22 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
I guess 30% could be a bit on the weak side ?

I was thinking the same as you for my pinto (although I'd probably use the ford OE spec stuff I already had) - but then my brother put me onto this stuff he uses at work:
https://www.deere.co.uk/en/parts-and-service/parts/maintenance-parts/lubricants/coolants/

Its specifically formulated for corrosion protection in multi-metal engines - loads of there older machines still have copper radiators with silver solder at the same time as a mixture of cast iron, steel, yellow metals and aluminium parts too - so they need all the help they can get
Its what they use in the biggest machines/plant as well as lawnmowers and everything in between

found these corrosion test results for it a while back too:

-

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 20/2/22 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
OAT is anti-corrosive just the same as ethelene-glycol.

[Edited on 19/2/22 by adithorp]

OAT (organic acid technology) is the inhibitor, not ethylene glycol. Basically (no pun intended), it's an acid/salt buffer system. Great for alloy, not so great for cast iron, steel and (particularly) yellow metals. Main attraction is long life, particularly so to the vehicle manufacturers.

The old blue stuff, is basically (pun not applicable) has an inorganic system. Depending on what you've got as that package (nitrates, silicates, whatever), it coats everything in the cooling system with an insoluble precipitous material (usually a silica derivative). Protects yellow metals, iron, steel, whatever. It doesn't last long (because the inhibitor is obviously consumed!). Despite the drawbacks and the issues that the precipitants cause, I use this for everything.

Your choice. Don't mix the two.

axle

posted on 20/2/22 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
I agree this is more suited to the older engines, I almost suffered from the same symptoms when I used the pink one, Bluecol would be a good one.
Hope this helps

Regards Axle

IVA passed 1st time thanks to the Forum members.

harmchar

posted on 20/2/22 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
I’ve used Prestone stuff as it’s supposed to e suitable for all engines and can even be mixed with existing coolant.
https://www.holtsauto.com/prestone/products/coolant-antifreeze-ready-use/

Nice bright green colour.

axle

posted on 21/2/22 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
sounds good, having look at their spec it says all type of engines. However this is in US. Is your engine the pinto type ( which is particularly old and still in use over here)the reason I mentioned blue type it would be good for water pump ?

[Edited on 21/2/22 by axle]

Regards Axle

JeffHs

posted on 21/2/22 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. Prestone looks like the way to go.
I need a lot because it's a full flush and refill. Best
price I've found is Amazon, £21 for 4 litres of concentrate

harmchar

posted on 21/2/22 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
That’s an okay price for 4 litres. Think the only way you’d get cheaper per litre is to buy the 20 litre drum.
Costco sell the Prestone range but I can’t remember how much for 4 litre.

axle

posted on 21/2/22 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JeffHs
Thanks guys. Prestone looks like the way to go.
I need a lot because it's a full flush and refill. Best
price I've found is Amazon, £21 for 4 litres of concentrate

Please let us know how you get on with this anti freeze my main concern is the seal on the water pump .

Regards Axle

Deckman001

posted on 22/2/22 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
I am running a 79 ish xflow, I didn't put any antifreeze in for the first year due to having so many leaks each weekend so sort I'd have had to have won the national Lottery to cover the anti freeze costs alone, but I paid the price and had to change the core plugs due to them falling apart within a year !

So heed my lesson and get antifreeze in asap everyone as just water isn't good to leave in a system.

I was advised to use BLUE antifreeze due to the age of my engine, OAT based too.

Pink is for very modern engines.

Stuart Walker

posted on 6/3/22 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for sharing, will heed your lesson!

quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001
I am running a 79 ish xflow, I didn't put any antifreeze in for the first year due to having so many leaks each weekend so sort I'd have had to have won the national Lottery to cover the anti freeze costs alone, but I paid the price and had to change the core plugs due to them falling apart within a year !

So heed my lesson and get antifreeze in asap everyone as just water isn't good to leave in a system.

I was advised to use BLUE antifreeze due to the age of my engine, OAT based too.

Pink is for very modern engines.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.