Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Serpentine belt routing
Andrzejsr

posted on 27/2/22 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Serpentine belt routing

I am preparing a Zetec blacktop engine for a kitcar. I have read about proper direction of water pump, made a bracket which a belt tensioner taken from this engine.
Now I wonder what for is the "free" pulley , in many belt routings I have seen on Zetec engine users .
Is it ok to route the serpentine belt in the way marked green on picture below? or it will be to long distance from tensioner to alternator ?
And better to keep this free pulley and route in pink marked way ?
In my engine there is cutted and flattened timing belt aluminium cover, so no disturbing metal part as it is originally in Zetec E.

Are there any rules, that belt on the alternator pulley must touch it on for example 1/2 of pulley circumstance ? never heard, but maybe? all pictures I have found of this serpentine belt, are in the pink routing way. Are there other reasons than thi protruding aluminium time belt cover ?

https://aswestfield.wordpress.com/

indykid

posted on 27/2/22 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
As you've noted, the idler is there to increase the belt wrap on the alternator pulley. The more wrap on the pulley, the more torque it can transmit without slipping.

Given you're unlikely to have a heated front and rear screen, heater blower and heated seats all running at the same time in a kit car like you might in the original application, you might get away with the reduced wrap but you might also end up with a belt that screams when you put the headlights on.

If the idler you have needs replacing, try running the green routing but if it's ok, the original layout is pretty well guaranteed to work. If you follow the pink route, you won't have to figure out what belt length to run either.

HowardB

posted on 28/2/22 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
not being familiar with a black top, what is the pulley top right in the picture?

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

ianhurley20

posted on 28/2/22 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
We did the green route and can confirm belt squeal when starting up or putting a bigger load on the electrics. Had to tighten the belt up quite a lot to get rid of the noise

Andrzejsr

posted on 28/2/22 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
not being familiar with a black top, what is the pulley top right in the picture?

It is a tensioner pulley I have mounted there , to keep the direction of waterpump rotation, as in Ford Focus in this place is power steering pulley.
Was going to add normal pulley, not tensioner, but thought that would be nice to have a tensioner. Originally it sits below alternator.

Just did some tests, and propably will go thepink-route, because in this routing, tensioner works best. In green it gives small amount of regulation of belt tension.

[Edited on 28/2/22 by Andrzejsr]

https://aswestfield.wordpress.com/

indykid

posted on 28/2/22 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

It's an autotensioner and idler to increase belt wrap on the waterpump pulley

HowardB

posted on 28/2/22 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
quote:

It's an autotensioner and idler to increase belt wrap on the waterpump pulley

thanks for the answer - learning something new everyday

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

SJ

posted on 3/3/22 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Mine follows the green route - no issues with belt slip at all.

I have a small 30a Denso alternator though which might be making a difference.

Stu

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.