Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: microsoft word or similar
theconrodkid

posted on 28/2/22 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
microsoft word or similar

Greetings peeps, i have windoze 8.1, on my old XP powered machine i had "word" and it worked, i could write things on it, print them off and e mail the documents
my new one wont do the e mail thing for some reason, i have "open office" but that keeps telling me there is no e mail conected to it
all i want to do is write, print off and mail stuff like on my old XP, any ideas how to link it to my e mail or suggestions for a prefrably free programe that would allow me to get back to normality ?
any suggestions in simple language mucho apreciated

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

harmchar

posted on 28/2/22 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, when you say “your new one won’t email”. Do you mean a new PC with updated Windows or you have updated Microsoft Office?
harmchar

posted on 28/2/22 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Try this link, it says that Open Office does include email support and suggests other software.
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/FAQ/General/Does_OpenOffice.org_come_with_the_equivalent_of_Microsoft_Outlook%3F
Hope this helps a little.

ReMan

posted on 28/2/22 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
So what do programme do you use for any email on your "new" pc?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

nick205

posted on 28/2/22 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Can you not type into the email and send the email with what you've typed?

Seems long winded to type a Word document then attache the Word document to an email and send the email!

If you do it the first way the emails you send with things typed in them should be kept in your "sent" emails folder so you can look at them later.

theconrodkid

posted on 28/2/22 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the replies, the new (a couple of years ago now) PC , it came with 8.1 installed, i put G mail on and that works ok but "open office", not "M S office" wont play ball.
thanks Harmchar, ill give that a try in a bit
i had thunderbird before ande had problems a plenty with it so prefer to stick with G mail thanks.
i use G mail on this pc
Nick, the docs i will be typing are part of a story (yes i do write stories in my spare time) so therefore will be several pages long and i want to keep a copy on my pc and be able to print them out
back to the grind

[Edited on 28/2/22 by theconrodkid]

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

ReMan

posted on 28/2/22 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
So the least technical option is then just to carry on saving and printing your documents locally.
Then when you need to send one just attach it to a Gmail

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

coyoteboy

posted on 28/2/22 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
You seem to only be worried about the direct link between your word processing software and your email client. If you don't have outlook, and won't use Thunderbird (I've never had an issue, but you are using a super old operating system now, it seems) then your only real option is to find an alternative to thunderbird (most are worse) or just keep using gmail webmail client and drop the files onto the email in the browser window.

I have more issues with outlook than thunderbird

ReMan

posted on 28/2/22 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by harmchar
Try this link, it says that Open Office does include email support and suggests other software.
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/FAQ/General/Does_OpenOffice.org_come_with_the_equivalent_of_Microsoft_Outlook%3F
Hope this helps a little.

I also noticed it says: "Under Windows the operating system’s default e-mail program is always used"
Which looks to be not set up as Conrod is using Gmail

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

theconrodkid

posted on 28/2/22 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
i would like to make things as simple as possible, only other thing i can think of is to do it on my old compo and transfer the files via a stick to my new one for printing and mailing

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

ReMan

posted on 28/2/22 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
i would like to make things as simple as possible, only other thing i can think of is to do it on my old compo and transfer the files via a stick to my new one for printing and mailing

Just do this:
So the least technical option is then just to carry on saving and printing your documents locally.
Then when you need to send one just attach it to a Gmail

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

theconrodkid

posted on 28/2/22 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Reman

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

harmchar

posted on 28/2/22 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Now your next big problem ConRod is: using windows 8.1. You might find you will be running into issues using this as it will be defunct by Jan 2023. It is unsupported already for a few years now, which means you might be getting issues now.
theconrodkid

posted on 1/3/22 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Now your next big problem ConRod is: using windows 8.1. You might find you will be running into issues using this as it will be defunct by Jan 2023. It is unsupported already for a few years now, which means you might be getting issues now.

built in oboslesence ?, might be worth going bak to pen n paper

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

nick205

posted on 1/3/22 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
I have more issues with outlook than thunderbird

Ditto

At work we use MS Office 365, including Outloot 365 (works OK, but then we have an internal IT guy and pay an external IT company).

Personally I have my own domain, which includes up to 50 webmail accounts. Works a treat and dead easy to setup from the armchair (and no I'm not a tech wizard).

I've used Thunderbird before and it was fine (better than Outlook in many ways IMHO). Outlook is bloated and MS has tried to add too many functions to it IMHO. Keep things simple and they work better!

gingerprince

posted on 2/3/22 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid

built in oboslesence ?, might be worth going bak to pen n paper

To be fair, Windows 10 (the successor to Windows 8 which you have) was released in 2015. So if you really bought your PC "a couple of years ago" and it had Windows 8.1 on it, then it likely wasn't new but "new to you". Windows 8.1 went end of mainstream support in January 2018 - over 4 years ago. So unless you actually bought the machine 5+ years ago, then you didn't buy a new machine. You may be able to upgrade to a newer version of Windows (at a cost), but chances are as it's an older machine it may not have the power to run effectively.

5 years is a long time in the world of PCs - things move on.

But to the original point - as you're using Gmail in the web, then just attach your documents directly in there. Sending documents as email from programs such as Word only works when there's an email program on the PC to send the email with. As you're not using one, that will never work.

theconrodkid

posted on 2/3/22 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
To be fair, Windows 10 (the successor to Windows 8 which you have) was released in 2015. So if you really bought your PC "a couple of years ago" and it had Windows 8.1 on it, then it likely wasn't new but "new to you". Windows 8.1 went end of mainstream support in January 2018 - over 4 years ago. So unless you actually bought the machine 5+ years ago, then you didn't buy a new machine. You may be able to upgrade to a newer version of Windows (at a cost), but chances are as it's an older machine it may not have the power to run effectively.

when i bought it, 10 had just come out and was getting slated for being a bit, rubbish, as with buying things, i think it,s best to let someone sort the problems out before you buy it, 5 years is a long time in compo,s but my way of thinking is, no need to get a new one if the old one is still runing ok, my last one has XP and is fine but i dont connect it to the interweb as i imagine the scammers would have a field day
i can cut n paste the text to a mail and thats what i have been doing.
thanks for the advice peeps, time to make some tea and some work

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.