Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MX5 seat height etc
cliftyhanger

posted on 6/3/22 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
MX5 seat height etc

My daughter wants an MX5.
She is 5' dead, and has tried our car (mk2) and she just isn't tall enough to reach pedals and sits too low. When she did a track session year sago, I made a "booster seat" from a cheap seat cover and 2" foam. Worked well enough, and got used again when she did a trackday in my spitfire.

The booster seat/cushion is not a long term solution. So are there any other solutions people have found/seen?
I am wondering about a box section subframe to fit between seat runners and the floor. Or is there another seat (late mx5??) that may be utilised?

Ta

nick205

posted on 9/3/22 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Aren't any of the MX5 seats height adjustable like they are on most other cars?

Messing about raising the height with a different subframe may well invalidate safety approvals the car has.

40inches

posted on 9/3/22 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Longer seat bolts and spacers? https://forum.mx5oc.co.uk/t/raising-seat-height-2005-nc/117238
pewe

posted on 11/3/22 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
A colleague was similarly vertically challenged (her words not mine).
The local Ford Main Stealer put blocks attached securely to the pedals so she could reach them - seemed to work for her combined with a booster cushion.

cliftyhanger

posted on 11/3/22 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
A colleague was similarly vertically challenged (her words not mine).
The local Ford Main Stealer put blocks attached securely to the pedals so she could reach them - seemed to work for her combined with a booster cushion.

I think my daughter wants to avoid teh booster cushion, despite the homebrew one working well. I suspect it is concerns about the aesthetic as much as anything else. But yes, an adjustable height seat could be ideal, especially as her husband is more normal height (5@8, same as me. Which as everybody knows, is the "correct" height)

If it comes to it, I am happy to cut/weld up a subframe, which would be at least as strong as the existing fixings. But adjustable woud be better.

Slimy38

posted on 11/3/22 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Does the MX5 still have the roof? My seats were awfully close to the soft roof as standard, I doubt I'd be able to lift them more than an inch before I'd struggle to shut the lid. A hard roof might be different.

Rather than a booster cushion, would putting more seat padding into the seat work? There is a common MX5 process called a 'foamectomy', you could go the opposite way and do a seat enlargement rather than a reduction? Although 2 inches of foam might be a challenge.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.