Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: TFL charge
Benzine

posted on 11/3/22 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
TFL charge

My girlfriend's just got a letter from TFL about non payment of ULEZ charge. I googled it and found a few examples from this year, with people suggesting to report it and get a crime number. Good idea, will do right away.

In those cases the cars were the same make and colour. In our case my girlfriend has a grey fiat 500 and they've stuck cloned plates on a white BMW estate. Not the sharpest tools in the box?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 11/3/22 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Be gratefukl they have used a significantly different car. That is crystal clear.
It can be a nightmare, I know somebody whose son went through hell. Several poice forces, DART, TFL etc. Eventually teh cloned car crashed and driver nicked, but despite that, it still took a lot of time/effort to clear it up.

Benzine

posted on 11/3/22 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah agreed there, very grateful about that
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 12/3/22 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
I thought all modern fiat 500's met the emissions limits for ulez, and the original ones exempt since they are classic.
so I guess it may be the central london congestion charge?

Benzine

posted on 12/3/22 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
I thought all modern fiat 500's met the emissions limits for ulez, and the original ones exempt since they are classic.
so I guess it may be the central london congestion charge?

Yep you're right, I must have scan read it too quickly!

coyoteboy

posted on 16/3/22 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Seems to me that because reg numbers are easily forged and cloned, they cannot possibly be considered sufficient evidence for a charging/fee collection process. I can literally walk outside and swap my plates for a home-made one and make their evidence invalid. An equivalent situation would be charging someone with a crime because they had the same colour clothes - it must fall apart under any sort of legal questioning.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating cloning cars. Or skipping the charges. I just think it's based on nonsense. However the alternative would be an encrypted radio transmission of some sort emitted from all vehicles - which doesn't seem very likely.

gremlin1234

posted on 16/3/22 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Seems to me that because reg numbers are easily forged and cloned, they cannot possibly be considered sufficient evidence for a charging/fee collection process. I can literally walk outside and swap my plates for a home-made one and make their evidence invalid. An equivalent situation would be charging someone with a crime because they had the same colour clothes - it must fall apart under any sort of legal questioning.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating cloning cars. Or skipping the charges. I just think it's based on nonsense. However the alternative would be an encrypted radio transmission of some sort emitted from all vehicles - which doesn't seem very likely.

I agree, just using the displayed reg number as an identifier is very poor.
it is also why its common for vehicles on transporters to have part of the number obscured, - so just the transporters plate is readable.
I think the dartford bridge did previously used transponders in cars for regular customers, but now just user number plates.

from a techie point of view, they could check with other databases to see if any reg number has been seen in more than one area at the same time. [but that's a bit 'big brother' tech...]

coyoteboy

posted on 16/3/22 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I mean you'd have to have a complete coverage national network of ANPR - some peoples cars never leave a sleepy scottish town so there would be no opposing evidence to say they were elsewhere

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.