370z
Wildcard

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car choice quandry
coyoteboy

posted on 17/3/22 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Car choice quandry

Sooo I've moved to the Netherlands. I still have my property and a few cars in the UK (visit regularly and need somewhere to stay and transport) but I'm now trying to sus out what to do about cars. Ultimately the Dutch road tax system and fuel costs currently make the UK system look like it is free. Example being in the UK my Hilux Surf costs me a couple of hundred quid a year to tax and fuel is about what 1.70 these days. In NL its about 3k a year road tax (diesel is 115% more per year than petrol, weight for weight) , with fuel at the 1.90 mark.

I've got a couple of choices. Spend 7kish and buy a cheapish high miler light diesel (something like a pug 1.6 hdi) - pay 100 a month for tax and get 50-60 mpg. Or B take my 370Z over there, pay about 1k to convert and register it there, and pay about the same in tax but get half the mpg, but at least have a smile on my face.

gremlin1234

posted on 17/3/22 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
it really depends on how long you expect to be in NL.

oh and may I ask, where in NL?

bi22le

posted on 18/3/22 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Saving 2k a year in tax to spend on fuel for the 370z sounds sensible to me, at least it's not sitting at home rotting.

As mentioned it all depends on millage, time expected to be in NL etc.

What do they drive? Could you sell some UK cars and get a better already registered NL car.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

nick205

posted on 18/3/22 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Minimise (sell) your UK cars down to 1.

Buy whatever's the lowest cost to tootle about in in NL. If you're in a town/suburban area get a pushbike - there's clearly a reason why the NL's are big into cycling. Note that NL bikes are quite different to bikes we ride in the UK. They ride more upright bikes with chain covers and built in locks and lights etc. They're not generally riding what I'd refer to as a drop bar road bike or an MTB.

...and whereabouts in NL are you?

[Edited on 18/3/22 by nick205]

coyoteboy

posted on 18/3/22 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
it really depends on how long you expect to be in NL.

oh and may I ask, where in NL?

Right now, who knows - indefinite. At least 12 months. I'm currently living just outside of Sassenheim.

quote:

Saving 2k a year in tax to spend on fuel for the 370z sounds sensible to me, at least it's not sitting at home rotting.

As mentioned it all depends on millage, time expected to be in NL etc.

What do they drive? Could you sell some UK cars and get a better already registered NL car.

Yes, that's my thinking - I have to keep the Z insured and MOT'd anyway, sat doing nothing on the drive. Very frustrating.
I'm guessing I'll be doing about 12-15K miles a year, due to trips back to the UK, but I currently have a spreadsheet calculating costs inc taxes and fuel. Ultimately I feel like buying an econobox is just throwing cash at trying to save fuel costs.
Folk in NL drive all sorts, their crazy taxes don't seem to actually affect the vehicle mix on the road (like they'd surely be aiming for) - there's more petrol cars here but they're also allergic to using cars in general. Budget sensitive folk seem to go for a petrol hatchback and then don't do many miles, but I won't have that luxury as all my target locations are not easily reachable by public transport.
I could sell the Z and buy a dull car here, but the price of used cars here is insane. My Nissan in the UK is worth 10K Euroish. In NL, I can't find one cheaper than 25K Euro.

sdh2903

posted on 18/3/22 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
How would it work if you came back to the UK would you be liable for import duty or as you could prove long term ownership would it not apply?

I'd use the Z. Sod spending that many miles a year in a crapbox to save a few quid on fuel.

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/3/22 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
I've never understood what people see in the 370z tbh but that's just me. Personally I'd get a fun little runabout, Fiesta, Corsa etc or something older that feels fast while not going fast or using much fuel. I have an old Fiesta and compared to the serenity of the Leaf feels like I'm constantly about to die and I'm rarely going over 65mph in it lol
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 18/3/22 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

Buy whatever's the lowest cost to tootle about in in NL. If you're in a town/suburban area get a pushbike - there's clearly a reason why the NL's are big into cycling. Note that NL bikes are quite different to bikes we ride in the UK. They ride more upright bikes with chain covers and built in locks and lights etc. They're not generally riding what I'd refer to as a drop bar road bike or an MTB.

You're trying to kill my enjoyment of life aren't you

I'm very much in a rural environment and all my sports involve taking equipment to even more rural locations, so biking is only possible to commute, which I already do.

Despite the constant assertion that NL is public transport heaven, it's really not, they're just stubborn. It's a 30 minute cycle to work for me, or a 12 minute drive, it's 1hr 10 minutes on 3 buses. Just like pretty much everywhere I've lived, if you already have a car, it's pointless using anything else as it becomes more expensive rapidly.

coyoteboy

posted on 18/3/22 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I've never understood what people see in the 370z tbh but that's just me. Personally I'd get a fun little runabout, Fiesta, Corsa etc or something older that feels fast while not going fast or using much fuel. I have an old Fiesta and compared to the serenity of the Leaf feels like I'm constantly about to die and I'm rarely going over 65mph in it lol

As a car enthusiast I can't really understand how you wouldn't like it. It's nice and sleek looking (subjective) but it goes like stink, sticks well, feels nice inside, sounds amazing and I can get 34mpg on a run or use the 330hp RWD for fun when I feel like. I don't like serenity, serenity feels like I'm about to die of old age

coyoteboy

posted on 18/3/22 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
How would it work if you came back to the UK would you be liable for import duty or as you could prove long term ownership would it not apply?

I'd use the Z. Sod spending that many miles a year in a crapbox to save a few quid on fuel.

No if you're importing it during a move it's tax free, same in both directions.

cliftyhanger

posted on 18/3/22 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Buy a nifty lpg Little car to run around in. Keep the Nissan, take it over occasionally?
nick205

posted on 19/3/22 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:

I'm very much in a rural environment and all my sports involve taking equipment to even more rural locations, so biking is only possible to commute, which I already do.

Despite the constant assertion that NL is public transport heaven, it's really not, they're just stubborn. It's a 30 minute cycle to work for me, or a 12 minute drive, it's 1hr 10 minutes on 3 buses. Just like pretty much everywhere I've lived, if you already have a car, it's pointless using anything else as it becomes more expensive rapidly.

No, certainly not trying to kill enjoyment.

Have to agree with Mr Whippy the 350Z's never done it for me. Nothing to do with cost, it just doesn't float my boat.

For me it's been hot hatch or big estate. The idea of a van's always seemed reasonable, but family impractical.

I suppose my goal (in your shoes) would be to down the cost and up the practical. If you're needing to shift sports/leisure kit then estate/van.

If you don't need a vehicle all the time and you commute by bike is hiring something on weekends and option?

nick205

posted on 19/3/22 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:

No, certainly not trying to kill enjoyment.

Have to agree with Mr Whippy the 350Z's never done it for me. Nothing to do with cost, it just doesn't float my boat.

For me it's been hot hatch or big estate. The idea of a van's always seemed reasonable, but family impractical.

I suppose my goal (in your shoes) would be to down the cost and up the practical. If you're needing to shift sports/leisure kit then estate/van.

If you don't need a vehicle all the time and you commute by bike is hiring something on weekends and option?

nick205

posted on 19/3/22 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Oops double post!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.