Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Do you ever get one of those "D'oh!" moments?
David Jenkins

posted on 4/4/22 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Do you ever get one of those "D'oh!" moments?

I've been doing a bit of welding today, and I was having some difficulty. I haven't used my MIG for ages, and thought that it was down to lack of practice... then I realised that I couldn't really see the weld properly.

Thought about it, then realised that I had the workpiece mounted in the vice and, when in my normal close-up welding position, I was looking through the top of the lenses of my glasses - and I wear varifocals so I was looking through the long-distance bit... no wonder I couldn't see the weld properly!

Wondered how on earth I was going to solve this problem, then realised that I'm short-sighted, so took my glasses off... and surprise, surprise, I could see the weld perfectly... got some nice welds after that...

My excuses were (1) I hadn't welded for ages, (2) I was freezing my nuts off in the garage and probably wasn't thinking too well, and (3) "not wearing my glasses while doing a task" is not something I normally consider, as I've been wearing specs all day, every day for most of my life.

Every day's a school day...

Simon

posted on 4/4/22 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, bought myself a tig during a hospital stay (I know, bit random but...) as used them at work for years.

Started doing work on my now scrapped Beetle project and welding a piece of steel into the vent area above the engine cover and had real trouble - turned out the sheet was galvanised.

Then I had more trouble welding the replacement panels into place and was using argon/co2, which turned out to be a no-no as the co2 reacts with the tungsten.

Once all that was sorted, things got a bit better, on the welding front anyway!

bi22le

posted on 4/4/22 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Yup. I have just come in from the garage. The car is already ready and back together following a few upgrades and deep clean. Last thing I did was to check the brakes after bleeding them and realised I had mounted the pelvis seat straps the wrong way round.

That's a under ready off and seat out job to get to the mounting. Bugger!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

ChrisL

posted on 5/4/22 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Spent weeks trying to resolve TIG weld issues, first time it was CO2/Argon, second contaminated gas - clearly I don’t learn. Then getting a new roof fitted to a car and one of the studs was shot, no probs I’ll just weld a new one one, was a pig to weld until I went to turn the gas off and realised it had been off the whole time!! Seems I don’t trust my abilities rather than checking the basics!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.