Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine ideas for Fury
MarcV

posted on 4/5/22 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Engine ideas for Fury

Hi All,

I decided that I'll get myself a Fury. It'll take a month to get the funds together, but already nice to start thinking further. The ones I have seen for sale have small carb'd engines in them. I intend to drive it that way for at least the remainder of this year, but it will need to be replaced.

So my wish list:
NA engine
Around 200hp would be good
Fuel injected
Preferably COP ignition
A bit of character / high revving would be nice
All aluminium

The short list;
- Ford 4cyl (Duratec)
- BMW 4cyl (early N-series)
- BMW 6cyl (M52)
- Jag 6cyl (AJ30)

Ford is I think the well-known route (not for me, but in general). I am more familiar with the BMW engines. BMW 4cyl would be just to be different basically.

The BMW 6cyl M52 is an engine I have laying around including gearboxes, ECU etc. So the cheapest of all and a very nice engine. Will need to check whether it would have any chance of fitting. The fury doesn't seem that small, but the engine is a bit tall. If it fits it would be my #1 choice.

I think the AJ30 is the next best thing. Well a better engine I think, but surely more expensive due to having to get the engine / donor and on top an aftermarket ECU.

Pricewise, comparing AJ30 vs Duratec. Would there be a reason to go Duratec?

Any ideas on the short list?

roadrunner

posted on 5/5/22 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Out of that choice of engines I would be more tempted by the Ford Duratec.
It's a well proven and capable engine with good tuning opportunities for when you get bored with the power.

Have you thought about a bike engine.
Most are bullet proof build quality with bags of revs.

adithorp

posted on 5/5/22 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Bike engine fits all your criteria.

Never seen or heard of a BMW 4or6 or the Jag in a Fury, so it'd be a road less travelled and (if they fit) you'd be breaking a lot of new ground. Likewise s2000 where I've heard of a couple but neither finished and lots of space issues.

Plenty of zetecs and quite a few duratecs been done. Other alternatives are MX5 or combo of duratec2.5 and mx5 box.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

obfripper

posted on 5/5/22 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
The s2000 engine/box has been put in a striker, should be pretty similar in a fury, as with the m52 it is a tall engine so might need a modified bonnet to fit under.

The possible sticking points are likely the transmssion tunnel will need modification for the jag/bmw gearboxes, and the 6 pot bmw engines are also long so may interfere with the inboard suspension - that is not an easy one to work around.

Also the larger engines will not be kind on a live axle car unless it has something like an atlas axle fitted, the irs cars with a sierra axle will take a lot more power without upgrades.

Dave

pigeondave

posted on 5/5/22 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
As Adi said bike engine would probably work well for you.

The biggest thing to remember is to pick an engine with the exhaust down the passenger side or you will cook in anything above 27 degree heat.

If I had my time again I'd stick with my zetec, but have a long spc/tracsport 1st gear in it.

Failing that, bike engine.

Don't get too hung up on power, too much makes you feel less like a hero as you're only ever on half throttle.

Get hung up on the weight of the car

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MarcV

posted on 5/5/22 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the feedback so far!

I'd be able to measure both the Fury and the M52 engine / box as soon as I have the Fury and I agree that it might rule it out. It is a tall (but angled) and long engine.

I agree that a bike engine does seem to fit my list rather well. Also I have been looking at options for sequential boxes the last weeks, but let go of it as the price seems steep. And for helical gears Quaife is the only option I have seen.

So my worry about a bike engine is the ability to tour with it. I can't see it being on the motorway a lot, but I do not really need to scream when just enjoying the country roads. Maybe the exhaust can be toned down, but what about the gears? Or is that no real concern in an open car?

So besides the 'always screaming' idea I have about them they do seem to fit well. High revs, low weight, sequential box all standard.

pigeondave

posted on 6/5/22 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarcV

So my worry about a bike engine is the ability to tour with it.

Enter Adi, JimG or Hobbsy (stage left) with a raft of pics of BEC's in strange places.

It's not an issue, although you might want to take a spare sump, and don't use a flat shifter.

They left me

https://youtu.be/1Fmq_5SwLlI

There are no videos on the motorway.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
roadrunner

posted on 6/5/22 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
My ZX10R will poottle just at 20mph in 6th and still pull quite cleanly. And this is with a 3.14 diff.

If it were me I would be looking at Zx12, ZX14 or Busa with a muffled exhaust.

adithorp

posted on 6/5/22 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
We tour Europe regularly (covid excepted) doing between 2500+3000 miles in 9-10 days and I've done quite a few 500mile days in mine. Don't think mine is any worse than Dave's 2lt zetec... just different.

R1 with a 3.21 Freelander diff is 7000rpm@70. Sounds a lot but is only 1/2 max rpm. Wind noise is worse than engine noise IMO. Good earplugs sort that. Then you reach the mountains and it's all worth it...

https://youtu.be/t5irT03pRcY

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

DH2

posted on 14/5/22 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Keep it light... Ford Sigma?

Bike engines are great, but not everyones cup of tea for touring (I did 15k miles all round UK in mine, so been there and done it)

Dave

[Edited on 14/5/22 by DH2]

MarcV

posted on 16/5/22 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks again.

I see the positive sides of a BEC, so I guess I'll just need to get a few rides in some of them to get a better impression.

Then we'll go from there ;-)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.