Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I love my Xflow but is it time for a change?
GaryM

posted on 10/5/22 at 05:27 AM Reply With Quote
I love my Xflow but is it time for a change?

I really love my 1600 Xflow but increasingly I’m thinking about changing to something more modern.

It fits nicely in the engine compartment of a Stuart Taylor bonnet height Locost (without the need for a bonnet bulge) and it’s great that there is a wealth of knowledge about this engine on this and other sites but Increasingly I find myself thinking that there might be a more modern 4 pot unit with similar power and similar dimensions, that I could (preferably) mate to my T9 gearbox.

Any suggestions would be appreciated?

Cheers
Gary

David Jenkins

posted on 10/5/22 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
The one I always fancied was the Toyota 4-AGE as it was a fairly compact unit, and quite powerful, but even that's long in the tooth these days.

Modern engines, and all their ancillaries, take a lot of space. Also, you'll have to make sure that the exhaust comes out the same side as the X-flow, otherwise you'll have a lot of bodywork to sort out.

[Edited on 10/5/22 by David Jenkins]

peter030371

posted on 10/5/22 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
I always thought the Zetec SE(Sigma) looks like a good choice for a lower cc engine. Caterham used them for a period after they phased out the x-flow. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Sigma_engine

Possibly not so easy to find now although spares/upgrade parts are still very easy to get. Like the x-flow lots of knowledge about getting the most out of them. Should also be lighter than the x-flow and as we all know 'Adding power makes you faster on the straights; subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere'

SJ

posted on 10/5/22 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
You can still get Zetecs pretty cheap, though 1.8s tend to be more available and cheaper. Cracking engine and bolts up to the type 9. You can sort induction / ignition fairly cheaply and exhaust manifolds aren't too expensive.
coyoteboy

posted on 11/5/22 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Get a bell-housing adapter and whap a G16E-GTS in there.

nickm

posted on 11/5/22 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I have a Zetec SE 1.6 it is very light when it was in the way i would just pick it up complete with the pallet it came on and move it to the opposite end of the garage.
A few years ago now bought brand new from Powertorque it was just short of 4 figs and came with a clutch.
Had it rolling roaded and tuned up last friday and it made 148bhp with Jenvey throttle bodies and phase 2 road cams. My Sylva J15 weighs 514kg and i attribute a lot of that lightness to the engine. Exhaust would exit to the right/driver side.
The only problem i have with it is the 1.7 Zetec SE is probably even better with VVT !

Nick M

monkeyarms

posted on 12/5/22 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nickm

The only problem i have with it is the 1.7 Zetec SE is probably even better with VVT !

Nick M

The 1.7 Has VCT variable cam timing, not VVT

Pound for pound, I think the 1.7 is a cracking engine in OEM form in a kit.

nickm

posted on 12/5/22 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Monkeyarms

Might well be but i have a phobia about cams now after changing them this winter ! doesnt help when you find out that your zetec se isnt quite the same as the Fiesta Mk 4 so buy a Focus manual to find out its similar but from a galaxy in between the 2 manuals but its been rroaded and the cambelts still on !!i

You going to Newark in July ?

Nick M

monkeyarms

posted on 13/5/22 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Nick
Unfortunately my kit car days are behind me now, my car hasn't run for 3 years, in fact I am trying to get it sorted for an MOT at the moment. Then it will be up for sale. So far it only needs new fuel hoses and after a new battery it started fine and runs ok.

DH2

posted on 14/5/22 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nickm
A few years ago now bought brand new from Powertorque it was just short of 4 figs and came with a clutch.
Had it rolling roaded and tuned up last friday and it made 148bhp with Jenvey throttle bodies and phase 2 road cams.

Sigma is a great engine. I've got one fully rebuilt up (in my kitchen) to 180bhp spec.
It's up for sale soon, but I've put a number of 4 figures into it!

Dave

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.