Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA for a shortened Beetle chassis 356 replica build
Mike Wood

posted on 7/9/22 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
IVA for a shortened Beetle chassis 356 replica build

Hi the LCB wise folk

I am trying to get my head around how you might approach sourcing bits and then building, IVA testing and registering a Porsche 356A Coupe replica using a VW Beetle donor (front and rear axles, steering, engine and gearbox but shortening the floorpan to fit the grp kit body).

Have I got this correct that this would end up with a Q plate, the donor identity will just assist showing the age of the engine for emissions requirements as well as for preference for build spec?

Cheers
Mike

[Edited on 7/9/22 by Mike Wood]

[Edited on 7/9/22 by Mike Wood]

gremlin1234

posted on 7/9/22 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
yep, just work with a Q plate.
JC

posted on 8/9/22 at 01:27 AM Reply With Quote
If you use the donor chassis modified, and 2 major components from the donor (engine, gearbox) then you will be able to get an age related plate, not a Q.

Gov linky

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 8/9/22 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Don't see why you would not get an age related plate on this basis.

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

CorseChris

posted on 7/10/22 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
To be clear, all the donor parts ideally come from the same vehicle, for which you have the V5. You can get an age related plate on a car made from more than one donor...but it might get sketchy. Probably fortunately, only the 'chassis' and engine are going to have identifying marks on them.

As noted, you need to have enough parts to achieve the required 'score'. Not a big deal in your case I'd think.

Bear in mind, these days, you can no longer just swap an engine (number) then update the V5 - it needs to be done & signed off by a recognised trader. Back in the day this was an entirely DIY prospect. Presumably this was brought in to curb some sort of illegal activities. Not being a crim, I've no idea what those might be.

Good luck with the build.

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/10/22 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Sadly none of the steering or suspension components on a bug have any useable numbers to prove they come from the donor. it's one of those kinds of kits where not getting the DVLA involved would be my option as for insurance purposes it makes no difference as its very obvious to the insurer what the car is and most bugs should be MOT and road tax exempt anyway. So F&ck the DVLA....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CorseChris

posted on 11/10/22 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
I was hinting at the fact that only the engine and chassis are identifiable.....

The rules are clear enough - if someone wants to chance their arm and ignore them, that's entirely up to them.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.