New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ex up or not
KJK

posted on 4/2/05 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
ex up or not

if i use an r1 do you have to use exup?
JoelP

posted on 4/2/05 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
the exup valve is there to regulate back pressure. this is to increase performance and to reduce emissions. i think the engine will run without it but there may be some complications on the wiring side.

as an aside, R1 users rarely mention the exup valve, so maybe this is a sign that it isnt used.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 4/2/05 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Nope. Evidently there's a mod you can do to stop the error code appearing on the dash which Im sure Paul (Rogers) will know, but it can be junked.

JoelP

posted on 4/2/05 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
do people junk it because back pressure helps low end torque and they are after top end power?

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

colibriman

posted on 4/2/05 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
you don't have to use it, you can just plug it into the loom but not attach the cables, if you dont plug it in to the loom though you get a fault code on the R1 clocks (if your using them).
I think there's a way to fool the cdi into thinking there's one fitted - I think you fit a resistor but not sure.
HTH
Colin

Doh...beat me to it!

[Edited on 4/2/05 by colibriman]

need a bike engine? - www.colibriman.com

SVA ready Mk Indyblade possibly for sale.....if the offers good...!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bob C

posted on 4/2/05 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
can't do it with a resistor. There was a site "bikeenginetransplant" or something like that with a complex "exup pretender" circuit in. I've got a much simpler idea using a cheap optotransistor, a transistor and a capacitor which I'll try when engine start time comes, when I make it work I'll publish but don't hold your breath...
If someone wants to try & debug it for me get in touch!!!
Cheers
Bob C

colibriman

posted on 4/2/05 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
by 'debug do you mean try it to see if anything goes up in smoke?

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 4/2/05 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
http://biketransplant.tripod.com

[Edited on 4-2-05 by mangogrooveworkshop]

http://www.jbracing.co.uk/Details.cfm?ProdID=39

Its more expensive than a exup valve!

[Edited on 4-2-05 by mangogrooveworkshop]

athoirs

posted on 5/2/05 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
I made one up from the biketransplant site and it worked no problem at all, It must of cost me about 20 quid tops, I wondered if it was worth making these for others- would there be a demand?

Andy

Bob C

posted on 5/2/05 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
>>>by 'debug do you mean try it to see if anything goes up in smoke?

pretty much! Excellent - so I have a volunteer then!!
Actually someone with a working BEC would make the best test vehicle.
It shouldn't be able to cause any smoke really.......
t'would be a tiny little thing that would be built into the loom plug.
Cheers
Bob

colibriman

posted on 5/2/05 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
hmmmm......

before after

due to the flash, bang, smokin effect

progers

posted on 6/2/05 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
EXUP NOT needed

Hi All,

You can definitely get rid of the EXUP and still keep the original clocks. If you short the red/white wires the only time you will get the fault indication (tacho bouncing between 0 and 6k revs I think) is when the ignition is on but the engine if off.

All other conditions (engine running or in any gear) there is no interference with the tacho function.
See http://www.samannasystems.com/chart.html

Why get rid of the EXUP? you can get better torque and power without it - don't forget most BECs have custom intakes and exhausts so you can take advantage of this to improve on the basic 4-1 exhaust and airbox that Yamaha used. 160hp is easy to get with better intake, exhaust and a rejet.

Cheers

Paul

colibriman

posted on 6/2/05 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Cool...thats handy to know....cheers Paul

Stu16v

posted on 6/2/05 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by progers
You can definitely get rid of the EXUP and still keep the original clocks. If you short the red/white wires the only time you will get the fault indication (tacho bouncing between 0 and 6k revs I think) is when the ignition is on but the engine if off.

And even though it is still finding a fault, it definately isn't putting the ECU into a get-you-home mode?

Dont just build it.....make it!

heyzee

posted on 6/2/05 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
ex up

does this mean that you dont need the servo too???????????????or is the servo still to be used????????
Coose

posted on 6/2/05 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
My servo cost me £20, so I should have no fault code problems!

One tip though - don't bothr using the valve as they were developed to get the bikes through the homologation drive-by noise tests! They have no effect on bottom end performance whatsoever! I would actually suspect they have an adverse effect in that they possibly do not allow all spent gases out of the motor at low engine speeds.....

Spin 'er off Well...

colibriman

posted on 6/2/05 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
How's progress Ian?

progers

posted on 7/2/05 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
EXUP myths

Just to confirm that loss of EXUP does not affect the performance of the engine by putting the ECU into a different mode.

My ex Indy R1 (no EXUP) was measured at 138 rear wheel HP by TTS in Northampton. This equates to 160-165bhp at the crank. A healthy increase over the standard 150bhp Yamaha quote :-)

You can still connect the servo if you wish, it just adds a few Kgs of unnecessary weight.

By the way, people should also junk the AIS system as all this does is to inject air into the exhaust to help with emissions. It screws up any add-on SVA CAT exhaust kit too when it comes to measuring emissions. Junk it and just block up the holes that feed into the exhaust ports. Another couple of Kgs saved!

Cheers

Paul

Coose

posted on 7/2/05 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
progers - I'm fitting the servo only as I'm using the R1 clocks and didn't want the fault code to show.... But that's certainly good news about not giving a fault ignition map! I've heard mixed reports about this, but suspected that there wouldn't be such a thing as, to be honest, the stock ignition curve is pretty conservative anyway!

Colin - it's coming on well ta! I'm in the middle of sorting out the loom, then got the gearchange linkage to sort (waiting for some paddles to arrive from Mr Rarity) and then we'll almost be ready to roll! Oh yeah, I'm still in a dilemma of what to do about the diff - do I leave the 3.89 in for now (14" wheels) and see just how undergeared it is, do I bite the bullet and get a 3.54 Quaife ATB that I've been offered, do I pick up a 3.54 open diff and wish I'd bought the ATB in a few months time, or do I buy a cheap set is 15" rear wheels?
Would you believe I missed a 3.54 from Marc by two days? D'OH!!!!!

Spin 'er off Well...

short track 123

posted on 26/4/05 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Why would you wona get rid of the EXUp????
ChrisGamlin

posted on 26/4/05 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Cos its a great hunk of metal that would sit out somewhere along side the passenger for all to see if installed on a Locost style BEC?
Its only there to improve mid range slightly anyway, top end isnt affected and with a decent exhaust design you dont lose any mid range either.

short track 123

posted on 27/4/05 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
EXUP

I can see what you mean about the look of it.
But as for power.The % of midrange throttle is higher on the road ( and some race tracks ) than the % of full throttle and should than be faster ?
Do you not agree?

Jason

ChrisGamlin

posted on 27/4/05 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
I dont know of any kit car that's actually used it so I guess its a bit hard to compare, but a lot of the bike tuning companies bin it when they tune the R1s so it can't be that beneficial IMHO.

short track 123

posted on 27/4/05 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
EXUP

I think tunners like to show big numbers on the dyno to people who are spending becouse the 1st thing people ask is whats the BHP.

Jason

OX

posted on 27/4/05 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
i read a website that said if you fit a 4-2-1 exhaust system it brings back the lower end power that you lose by not using the exup valve.

but with the exup motor i had mixed feelings,heard so many stories about it making a difference or it not making a difference that i ended up using the motor becouse i wasnt bothered about the weight

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.