Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: 12v LED garage lights advice
number-1

posted on 23/7/24 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
12v LED garage lights advice

Can anyone recommend some 12v panel or strip lights for my prefab concrete garage....but must be able to run off a 12v car battery as i don't have power.

Even in the daytime i'd still need to use the lights as its pretty dark in there.

I plan to paint the walls white to assist with daytime use

Cheers

N1

jacko

posted on 23/7/24 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
How about solar panels to power some lights

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 24/7/24 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
How about solar panels to power some lights

Totally, the solar panels are so cheap now and comparable to that of a car battery.

However that said, if the garage has roof panels, how about replacing some of them with clear ones? I did that with my last garage on the south facing side and the amount of light and warmth that came in was incredible.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 24/7/24 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
Some of the strip lights are VERY bright now, for example https://www.ukledlights.co.uk/product/warm-white-led-strip-3000k-24v-ip20-waterproof-240-leds-m-5-metre/ (no, I haven't used that particular stuff but I have used similar a few years ago, not as bright)

I fitted LED battens (like fluorescent tubes) in my garage. OK, they are 240V, but each tube is just a length of that strip stuff in a plastic tube, and very bright.

cliftyhanger

posted on 24/7/24 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Some of the strip lights are VERY bright now, for example https://www.ukledlights.co.uk/product/warm-white-led-strip-3000k-24v-ip20-waterproof-240-leds-m-5-metre/ (no, I haven't used that particular stuff but I have used similar a few years ago, not as bright)

I fitted LED battens (like fluorescent tubes) in my garage. OK, they are 240V, but each tube is just a length of that strip stuff in a plastic tube, and very bright.

coyoteboy

posted on 24/7/24 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
You're not limited to 12V ones if you pop in a wee cheapie inverter, they're about 20 quid now and great for constant load scenarios like lights and heaters.
nick205

posted on 24/7/24 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
How far between your house and garage?

Feasible to have an electric feed taken from the house to the garage?

Might not be as pricey as you think and could give you lights and sockets.

number-1

posted on 24/7/24 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies Chaps. I will try and cover the points raised.

The garage is 50m from the house so running power to it would be hard as there are footpaths and municipal car park etc and is a prefab concrete with a probable asbestos roof so replacing with clear roofing is a great idea but would cost a fair bit due to the asbestos.

12V inverter.....i didn't even consider it as an option. I don't know much about this so would need to do some research.

Solar panels..... Again a good idea but then what else is required? Big batteries to store the energy produced? I thought by using a spare car battery i can bring it inside and charge as and when needed.

The LED strips are an option so will do some digging

SteveWalker

posted on 24/7/24 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by number-1
a probable asbestos roof so replacing with clear roofing is a great idea but would cost a fair bit due to the asbestos.

Asbestos roofs are not much of a problem as long as you own, rather than rent the garage. Dampening them with water and removing the sheets without cutting or breaking them and then double-wrapping them in plastic is safe. You'd have to check with your local council, but in ours, disposal of your own double-wrapped asbestos roof sheets is permissible at a specific tip and is free.

number-1

posted on 24/7/24 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
The garage is owned so no issues there. The issue i see is having to empty the garage before i do the work. I think my LA are the same and take double wrapped sheets at the local tip

Maybe i can get it tested to see if it actually is asbestos?

[Edited on 24/7/24 by number-1]

ianhurley20

posted on 25/7/24 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
For over 10 years now I have been using a solar panel, voltage regulator a small 12 volt battery and led lights in my shed (10' x 10'. About 5 years ago I upgraded the system using 3 watt 6" long DRL's sold on ebay at £5 for 6. At the same time the solar panel was changed for a 500mm x 400mm one which cost £22 off ebay together with a £12 charge regulator which has two USB outputs. I kept the old gel 12v 10ah battery from an alarm system. I have to say it is brilliant! The DRL's put out an amazing amount of light and 4 would do but I will leave the 6 stuck to the flat roof facing down and have overkill. Never had the battery run down. The USB's power a radio as well. For a garage I would do the same but would probably use a second hand old solar panel and maybe a bigger car battery that has come from a car (I have an AGM one from my stop start car that is no longer up to stop start but is otherwise fine). The regulators are around for £10 - £20 on ebay and Amazon and can take quite a load.
Dingz

posted on 25/7/24 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
For a long time now I've used an old car battery with 2, 20W solar panels and controller to provide lighting in a shed, originally with DRLs but now small LED strip lights, it also ran an old car radio/CD player.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

number-1

posted on 25/7/24 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies

I am liking the solar idea but dont know enough about how it works. Will the solar panels provide enough energy to charge the battery if it is low or will it just keep it topped up?

Removing the asbestos panels and using clear corrugated is still an idea for daytime use too so thanks for the idea

ianhurley20

posted on 25/7/24 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
What don't you understand about the line - Never had the battery run down.

If you look at your similar post in Sept 2022 you may also find the answer there

[Edited on 26-7-24 by ianhurley20]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.