Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Using a converter to power headlights
Mr Whippy

posted on 24/7/24 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Using a converter to power headlights

Hi,

I am wanting to fit a pair of LED headlamps with angel eyes to the old car, however it is a 6 volt system and there are none available for that voltage. I was thinking I could use one of these to "boost" the voltage up to what is required. Not sure of the power required by these but 10amps seems plenty to power two LED lights?

A good idea or stupid??

[Edited on 24/7/24 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 24/7/24 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
I'm involved in a discussion on the caterham site about the quality of the Chinese LED headlights (and the lack of a beam pattern). No idea if your idea would work but be careful as it seems lots do not (despite claims) meet the beam pattern requirements.
gremlin1234

posted on 24/7/24 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
the converter should work

but I think the car would end up looking like a bugeyed monster.

have you considered just changing the bulb, (know led bulbs in standard headlight fittings will not meet mot requirements, but ok for very old cars)

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/headlight-led-bulbs/6-volt

[Edited on 24/7/24 by gremlin1234]

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/7/24 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
the converter should work

but I think the car would end up looking like a bugeyed monster.

have you considered just changing the bulb, (know led bulbs in standard fittings will not meet mot requirements, but ok for very old cars)

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/headlight-led-bulbs/6-volt

I have already got the LED conversion bulbs and their ok but I want to try something different (that can always be put back to original), I'm using the car quite a bit in the evening and need good lighting. I also like the angel eyes and they look nice on older cars with headlight pods might get the ones with that change to orange too so I can ditch the motorbike indicators. It's MOT except so I can really do whatever I want with the lights, was thinking of 3D printing new rear lenses with LED's built into them

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 24/7/24 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
I'm involved in a discussion on the caterham site about the quality of the Chinese LED headlights (and the lack of a beam pattern). No idea if your idea would work but be careful as it seems lots do not (despite claims) meet the beam pattern requirements.

Thanks, I'll do some research into ones with good recommendations.

MikeR

posted on 24/7/24 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
When you find them let me know.
coyoteboy

posted on 26/7/24 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
I run LEDs in my H4 reflectors, they have near identical beam pattern to normal bulbs and pass the MOT because they are friendly, but pointed out they shouldnt but let it slide because the pattern is fine. The boost converter will work fine if the current capability is high enough, no problem.

Fwiw id try them without the converter first, they often have a fixed current driver which accepts a very wide input voltage range ans theyre only a 3v LED usually, so its possible theyre going to work anyway. In the next day or so I'll get my adjustable psu back and can test it.

[Edited on 26/7/2024 by coyoteboy]

SteveWalker

posted on 26/7/24 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
I run LEDs in my H4 reflectors, they have near identical beam pattern to normal bulbs and pass the MOT because they are friendly, but pointed out they shouldnt but let it slide because the pattern is fine.
[Edited on 26/7/2024 by coyoteboy]

I don't know why they changed the rules. If a replacement LED bulb gives the right pattern, why should it be treated any differently than a whole new LED sealed unit?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.