Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dashboard strength
Slimy38

posted on 3/8/24 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Dashboard strength

I've finished my dashboard. I wasn't actually going to have a dashboard, but I needed to add the bottom edge radius, so dashboard it is;

This will be covered in leather, but no padding. The bottom radius is 21mm made up of a quarter profile of wood fixed to the plywood dashboard. The screws along the top go through the body into the chassis so it's strong, but the bottom edge only has fibreglass to fix to. If I push on it, it bends.

From an IVA perspective, how rigid does the radius need to be? It won't be damaging any passengers in the case of an accident, but it also won't stay in one piece with a flying human aimed at it.

Looking at the books they're similar, a fibreglass or wooden panel with the relevant rounded edges.

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/8/24 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
If it was made of foam the examiner would be happy, the whole point of the radius is to soften blows from an impact, not to hold someone back as some sort of crash restraint. So long as it doesn't fall apart when driving, it's strong enough. Make sure there isn't something stupid behind it, like a sharp bolt or pointy bit of steel etc.

My volvo's were so flimsy inside due to them making everything crushable in a crash that parts snapped and broke off continuously. The inside of a car needs to be soft to be safe, from personal experience of being struck by the crushed passenger side of my tin top. I'd also recommend putting some foam behind the leather as it looks cheap without it, imo...

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 4/8/24 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
That's brilliant, thanks. There's a cross bar where the screws are at the top, but there's absolutely nothing below that. If I take the speedo out I can see right to the bulkhead with no restrictions!
ReMan

posted on 4/8/24 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Is it that you don't want to pad it?
Many just use a thickness of camping mat which give a nice feel and texture to it whilst covering any smaller/sharper radii

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Slimy38

posted on 5/8/24 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Is it that you don't want to pad it?
Many just use a thickness of camping mat which give a nice feel and texture to it whilst covering any smaller/sharper radii

It's not the radius itself, that's taken care of. It's that if I press on the dash it bends about half an inch. I wondered if that was defeating the purpose of having a radius on the bottom, simply because the panel itself is flexing.

I think I'm just overthinking things to be honest, same as I have done with most of the build. In some ways I'm glad I've been over cautious, but occasionally the work stalls due to me misinterpreting a tiny IVA rule.

ReMan

posted on 5/8/24 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Ok. In which case, why don’t you just bond a piece of broomstick type Dowel to the rear to Stiffen it up and making it a bit less flimsy?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

nick205

posted on 5/8/24 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Made my dashboard from 1/4 in plywood + some 19mm radius 1/4 profile lengths of ppine trim glued along the bottom edge. covered the whole lot in a thin layer of spongey foam and black vinyl leather look stuff. Bolted to the MK scuttle using M4 stainless dome heads. Passed SVA OK and held together just fine.

finished dash in car
finished dash in car
dashboard planning
dashboard planning

17599[/pg]] finished dash in car
finished dash in car

TimC

posted on 5/8/24 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
For what it is worth, I had a GRP dash covered in automotive (4-way stretch) carpet for IVA.

I now, as you indicate desirable, do not have a dash.

ReMan

posted on 5/8/24 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Made my dashboard from 1/4 in plywood + some 19mm radius 1/4 profile lengths of ppine trim glued along the bottom edge. covered the whole lot in a thin layer of spongey foam and black vinyl leather look stuff. Bolted to the MK scuttle using M4 stainless dome heads. Passed SVA OK and held together just fine.

[quote/end]

Yes I seem to remember you copying mine
SVA Passed1
SVA Passed1

Mine is still on, never felt the need to change it

[Edited on 5/8/24 by ReMan]

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

loggyboy

posted on 5/8/24 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
I read this part of IVA is 19mm radius (any material) or 5mm (with a soft finish). So with 21mm radius there is no need to have anything non-rigid.

Mistral Motorsport

nick205

posted on 6/8/24 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

[quote/end]

Yes I seem to remember you copying mine
SVA Passed1
SVA Passed1

Mine is still on, never felt the need to change it

[Edited on 5/8/24 by ReMan]

Indeed, I did copy yours.
It worked perfectly well , passed SVA and stayed in the car.

nick205

posted on 6/8/24 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Slimy38

You might find this old thread useful

https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=64223

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.