Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel tank Weight
Dexterdog

posted on 13/8/24 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Fuel tank Weight

Hi everyone,

Westfield megabusa owner

I have been trying to find out the weight (without fuel) of a standard (I believe 27litre) westfield fuel tank.

I am trying to establish if it is worth installing a 4.5 litre tank to save the weight. The car is only used for hill climb.

Does anyone know the likely weight saving ?

Thanks

jacko

posted on 13/8/24 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
If 4.5 is enough fuel to get up the hill + then I would go with that for racing .
If at any time you use it for road then the big tank
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 13/8/24 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Probably about 2.5kg

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

JimSpencer

posted on 15/8/24 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Just seen this.. don't know if this will help:-

The main reason we did this (On a Striker, very similar) was so we could move it, from behind the rear axle, to in-front of it, much better weight distribution and much, much safer if you go off backwards.. and you'll remove most of the fuel surge issues you'd probably have (we did!) if your ran a few liters in the big tank

We used a tank (about 7L, small briefcase sized) mounted vertically behind the chassis panel/firewall, but behind the passenger seat (moved forward, and the panel adjusted, a couple of inch) at floor level, but in front of the rear axle, still accessed from the 'boot'.

Mike Wood

posted on 26/8/24 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
A smaller foam filled tank might give you piece of mind for fuel delivery compared to using a standard tank with low fuel levels and possible fuel surge/starvation when competing (depending on how quick you go round the bends!).

AH Fabrications and other manufacturers in the UK make a range of different sizes and shaped aluminium motorsport tanks as well as make custom ones to order. See: https://ahfabrications.co/product-category/fuel-systems/ & https://ahfabrications.co/product-category/fuel-systems/fuel-tanks/ (23 tanks)

Cheers
Mike

[Edited on 26/8/24 by Mike Wood]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.