Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: registration for non UK resident
thibaut001

posted on 5/9/24 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
registration for non UK resident

Hello to all,

After 18 years of sleeping in my garage, I'm finishing my Westfields Sein. However, I'm facing a major hurdle to get complete the car and get it road legal.

From information I collected:
1) I can pass the IVA without any address This has been confirmed by DVLA
2) I can pass the MOT without any address This has been confirmed by DVLA
3) I can get insurance by chase number (while this will be temporarily insured)

However:
Get a registration seems to be limited to only British resident.

Anyone has any experience I this matter? It is unfortunately impossible to have aIVA in Belgium nor in France.

Thanks for your assistance

Thibaut

Westfields SEiW
Duratec 2.0
WebCn Alph Throttle and ECU

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/9/24 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
So you live abroad but want to get the car registered in the UK and then import it cos where you live does not allow kit cars?

Can you not use a UK based import firm to register the car for you like many import cars from Japan etc. once it's been through the IVA? Are there not requirements/standards for allowing the importing foreign cars to be registered in their country?

We've had a few people over the year ask about registering kit cars in such countries but I can remember the solutions, if any. We actually have it very easy in the UK, although the US seems the best for novel cars.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
thibaut001

posted on 5/9/24 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mr Whippy.

Thanks for the feedback,

Unfortunately most EU countries refuse kit cars and / or individual vehicle approval. This is virtually impossible to do it.
The only option is registering in UK and try to export as normal car (not easy yet possible).

IVA (despite of technical quality and check) is ok since it only the car and does not need any address in UK. Same with MOT. However, to get the registration a dully recognise UK address is I believe needed.

If you know such import car firms, I'll be happy to contact them and see what they can offer.

Alternative is to buy a salvage car and fake the documents. Yet I don't like this.

Thanks and to anyone any advise I take with pleasure..Is is so frustrating to have a great car and let it rots in a garage..

Thibaut

nick205

posted on 5/9/24 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
I cannot help with your problem.

I put my car through the SVA test (old fashioned IVA test) in Southampton. Southampton is a busy sea port and the test centre was very busy testing Japanese imports. Making sure they were OK to use on the road in the UK. During my SVA test there was a constant flow of Japanese imports being brought in from Southampton sea port for inspection. Most of the cars were 4-5 years old so fairly new.

I hope you find a solution to use your car in your country.

dmac

posted on 5/9/24 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Based on what Nick has posted you could try to contact a grey importer to see if they are willing to help with the paperwork, they will already have experience and will know any pitfalls. It may cost some money but its better than letting the car rot.
Mr Whippy

posted on 5/9/24 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think I'd risk faking the documents, as a car like that will stand out to the police or anyone and they are bound to do checks on it and pull you over. I'd get in touch with one of the import firms, look up Japanese imports, there's heaps and see what they say and if they think it is viable to import it to France after the IVA and get it registered there, but there maybe too many non-compliances though. If all else fails, you could sell it and use the money to buy a classic, say something like a Morgan that is similar but road legal where you live.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
thibaut001

posted on 5/9/24 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
TO all,

Thanks for your thoughts, EU countries ahem completely forgot the meaning of freedom/ Its the same with electrification of young timers: impossible here....

I will try to get in touch with one of the Japanese importer. Yet, I beleive they only manages the SVA/ IVA and MOT yet not the registration which apparently requires residency in UK,...

Thank and hoping solution will arise...

Thibaut

Sarah

posted on 5/9/24 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Third paragraph from the bottom

https://www.insuredaily.co.uk/blog/car-insurance/car-registration#:~:text=There%20are%20no%20restrictions%20regarding,to%20be%20able%20to%20register.

adithorp

posted on 5/9/24 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
In order to register you need an IVA but not an MOT. That's only required once the car has been registered for 3 years.

To get around the registration address issue could you use an PO box. Its probably not what DVLA want but it's the system is a bit dim.
https://www.royalmail.com/receiving/po-box?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

thibaut001

posted on 5/9/24 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Yep this sounds like a interesting info,..Let me digg into this.
Will certainly let you know.

jacko

posted on 5/9/24 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi do Westfield export cars to Brussels.
If so could Westfield Iva and register the car for you ?
Graham

kenton

posted on 5/9/24 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
How about contacting
https://www.tofugarage.com/#!/WESTFIELD/c/62653142
They were Westfield importers and hold a large stock of parts.
Not too far from you either.
Good luck

coyoteboy

posted on 6/9/24 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
FWIW I had to present addresses and proof of residence to reregister my exported car back in the UK.

However I also spotted several kit cars in NL when I lived there, all of which were NL registered.

This company sells kit cars in NL.... https://lepatron.nl/en/

Once registered in NL, moving them between EU countries seems to be a matter of tick boxes.

[Edited on 6/9/2024 by coyoteboy]

nick205

posted on 6/9/24 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Not really of any use to you, but...

I'm Brithish,, built, SVA'd and registered my MK Indy kit car here in the England.

Ran it for 3 years and then sold it to another British guy who ran it in England for another 3 years.

He then sold it to a Dutch guy who imported it to the Netherlands. I lost track of the car at that point.

I see you are in Belgium, but the Donkervoort company makes Lotus 7 inspired cars in the Netherlands.

https://www.donkervoort.com/en/service/contact/

I don't know if they sell kits or just finished cars. It might be worth contacting them for information on how to get a car tested and registered in the Netherlands.

Then export/import to Belgium?

[Edited on 6-9-24 by nick205]

thibaut001

posted on 6/9/24 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
To All,

Thanks,

Unfortunately Westfields is out of business and has been taken by Chesil car who has no idea whatsoever what Westfields is.

Thus back to square one with tears.

Well keep continuing,..

Thibqut

[Edited on 6/9/24 by thibaut001]

JimSpencer

posted on 6/9/24 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Look at;- postway.co.uk or similar.. there are a few similar suppliers.

hope this helps

thibaut001

posted on 6/9/24 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info, I ahem contacter DLVA to see if they can accept address without proof of living.

Also Looks like I would need to register as a new car and I'm told because of emission level this could cost up to 60kgbp in belgium

Thus getting higky frustrated with this endless issue. I'm thinking of selling it as a race or circuit car.

Thibaut

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/9/24 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
You could always move to the UK, it's not all that bad here. Well if you avoid the bottom half of the country that is

ReMan

posted on 7/9/24 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
I seem to recall there was a previous Belgium based member on here that went through this process, but I cannot for the life of me remember his name

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

adithorp

posted on 7/9/24 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thibaut001
To All,

Thanks,

Unfortunately Westfields is out of business and has been taken by Chesil car who has no idea whatsoever what Westfields is.

Thus back to square one with tears.

Well keep continuing,..

Thibqut

[Edited on 6/9/24 by thibaut001]

I thought Westfield bought Chesil several years ago before going bump.
The company was then resurrected as Westfield Chesil Ltd and clearly still selling Westfields.

https://westfield-sportscars.co.uk/

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

gremlin1234

posted on 7/9/24 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
I seem to recall there was a previous Belgium based member on here that went through this process, but I cannot for the life of me remember his name

I remembered that too, so did some searching
username belgian2b
real name Gerardo

here is one of his threads, which may give you some leads

https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=214754

gremlin1234

posted on 7/9/24 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
to add the google search I did was
" site:locostbuilders.co.uk belgium "

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:locostbuilders.co.uk+belgium

PorkChop

posted on 8/9/24 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
It would be worth dropping GBS a line to see if they can help out with an IVA and registration.

https://www.greatbritishsportscars.com/iva-service

Another alternative is to speak to Tomasz at Kozmo Cars.

https://kozmo.pl/

Tomasz got the Kozmo IVA'd, registered and taxed in the UK then exported it to Poland last year. He might be willing to tell you how he did it (he's made a blog, but it's all in Polish!).

[Edited on 8/9/24 by PorkChop]

Dingz

posted on 8/9/24 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
I think GBS, Great British sports cars have prepared cars for Iva and put them through for customers. It might be worth contacting them if they would use their address?

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

Dingz

posted on 8/9/24 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Snap GBS

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.