Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: 18V dewalt batteries are goosed
number-1

posted on 7/9/24 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
18V dewalt batteries are goosed

Can anyone suggest a locost way to rejuvenate some 18V dewalt batteries?

They hardly hold charge now. For drilling/impact driving they are just about ok, but using the circular saw and they die within a minute or so.

Are they scrap or can anyone suggest a low cost answer?

number-1

posted on 7/9/24 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
This type

[Edited on 7/9/24 by number-1]

obfripper

posted on 7/9/24 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
If you have newer type dewalt xr 18v batteries with other tools, a DCA1820 adaptor is available to use the xr batteries with xrp tools.

If you have other makes of 18v battery, there are at least milwaukee and makita battery adaptors available on amazon/ebay/aliexpress, and there are multiple designs on thingiverse if you have a 3d printer to print your own.

You're not likely to find any new cells to repair your existing battery as ni-cad was phased out from 2006 for consumer goods, the only other simple option would be to re-cell using ni-mh cells, but these do not have a high enough continous current output for most cordless tools (3c for nimh, 15c for nicad). This also would have some charging issues as nimh are intolerant of overcharging and need a voltage cutoff to protect the cells, nicad can withstand extended overcharging with no effect, so no cutoff is used in the original charger.

You could also convert your existing pack to li-ion cells if you don't have any li-ion packs to adapt, this video is for a 12v version, but gives you the basic idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj3jsHXIzL4

Dave

jacko

posted on 8/9/24 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hi number1
If you look on utube there is a film on how to rejuvenate a flat battery off a charged battery
Sorry I don’t know haw to post links
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 9/9/24 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
1. Rechargeable batteries have a lifespan (i.e. a number of times they can be re-charged). Smartphone batteries usually last 2-3 years before they hold very little charge.

2. Drilling/impact driving probably uses minimal current draw from the battery. Circular saw (constant high power) probably uses constat high current draw from the battery. Hence them not lasting very long for circular saw use.

How long have you had the batterries?

How many time have they been re-charged/used?

Might be time to replace them. Either with new cells inside or actual battery packs.

David Jenkins

posted on 11/9/24 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
I had a deWalt drill, and the batteries didn't last very long at all - they didn't take kindly to occasional use and recharging only. The drill came with 2 batteries, and both failed just past a year old. I replaced them ages ago with an unbranded clone off eBay, and that's still working after many years.

I now had a Hitachi drill with 2 batteries and they show no signs of failing, under the same conditions. In fact, the drill, batteries and charger are far better in many respects than the deWalt. The cost was roughly the same - maybe even cheaper.

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/9/24 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Bosch battery's are normally the same, however I've kept my old drill going for a good 8 years now just topping up them up every couple of months but not leaving them plugged in charging all the time or letting them discharge much at all. I always let them cool down after use before charging.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 13/9/24 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
That's another point with battery chargers.

Many of the cheaper ones (most of the ones supplied with cordless tools) just charge, charge, charge. They don't actually sense when the battery is full and stop charging. I spent a little bit more on a AA AAA battery charger that actually senses, tells you when each one's full and stops charging it. The batteries are lasting longer and charging better.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.