Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: floor self leveling compound
number-1

posted on 27/9/24 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
floor self leveling compound

Evening All

I am going to use self leveling compound on a timber (woodchip i think) floor and am using a fairly decent primer. Its Bostik Cempolay universal primer. Does anyone know if i can prime the floor tonight and then lay the self leveling compound tomorrow afternoon? Or do i need to prime, wait an hour or two till its tacky and then lay the self leveling?

Thanks

N1

JoelP

posted on 27/9/24 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
It's fine with the primer dry. However, personally I'd not put self levelling straight on to chipboard. I'd add a layer of 6mm ply or artificial equivalent, to protect the chipboard.

Remember, it's actually self smoothing, not self levelling. You still need to move it roughly right. A spiked roller help move it and get rid of bubbles.

What are you putting over it?

number-1

posted on 27/9/24 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hi mate

The self leveling is going on to chipboard that has had tiles on top which were straight onto the chipboard (or whatever was used in 1980)

The adhesive is hard to remove and needs self leveling to get a decent base to hardboard and then lay a decent vinyl floor. I know pictures would be better than words but i cant remember howto post them lol

JoelP

posted on 28/9/24 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
No worries, if the chipboard is already ruined you've got nothing to loose by screeding it, so all good!
number-1

posted on 1/10/24 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Exactly my thoughts.

I self leveled it at the weekend and went pretty well. No cracks yet despite me building a new kitchen on it so hopefully it stays that way

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.