Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Shortening sensor wires
Slimy38

posted on 4/10/24 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Shortening sensor wires

I'm tackling the last of the big jobs I have, the engine loom. It's an MX5 1.6 donor, nothing fancy like VVT etc. Most/all of the wires are too long so I want to cut some length out of them. However, I know that some sensors can be very temperamental when their wires have been cut.

Problem is I'm just not sure which ones I'm better off leaving. Is there anything I should just leave alone? Or is it all fair game on an MX5 loom?

JAG

posted on 4/10/24 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Hello

I have an MX-5 NA 1.6 (from a 1994 car) in my Locost and it has the Mazda Engine Wiring Harness with the Standard ECU and sensors etc...

I removed and shortened LOT's of wires in my Engine Harness. It all runs very well Thank You

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

gremlin1234

posted on 4/10/24 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
shouldn't be a problem shortening them, but I would leave as is, and cable tie them out of the way for the moment. then tidy up after it it is all running.
(all to often you find things that could be better routed if only they weren't so short...)

gremlin1234

posted on 4/10/24 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
shouldn't be a problem shortening them, but I would leave as is, and cable tie them out of the way for the moment. then tidy up after it it is all running.
(all to often you find things that could be better routed if only they weren't so short...)

to add, unless the wire looks manky, or the plug on the end needs replacing, in which case do it sooner rather than later.

Slimy38

posted on 4/10/24 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JAGI removed and shortened LOT's of wires in my Engine Harness. It all runs very well Thank You

That's very reassuring, thank you.

quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234

Yeah at the moment I'm separating the main loom into 'back of engine' and 'front of engine', with just random insulation tape to stop it falling into a birds nest. Once I have predictable lengths (and a running car!) I'll go back, shorten and loom tape everything.

So far the wiring hasn't looked too bad, there was one dubious join that looked to have some questionable substance in it but so far no major issues. The lighting and dash looms have all been reterminated, I'm only keeping the standard plugs for the engine loom purely because it's easier. And I'm reusing the fuse box too.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.