Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car. Service
jacko

posted on 11/10/24 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
Car. Service

Hi all apart from what a garage does on a full service what else is worth checking
Myself
G
Car is a Astra j 1 .6

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 12/10/24 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Literally everything on the 'full service' list for a start... I'm not convinced they're worth the money, I don't have faith that my car is better off after one. Cam belts/chains are probably the only thing I have done at a garage, everything else in a service I do myself.

Although are you checking your own car for preventative maintenance, or is this a prospective purchase? If it's something you're looking at buying, then disregarding the service is even more appropriate, after all you'll be the next person to fix it.

jacko

posted on 12/10/24 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
It’s my own car .I am happy with the garage that serves my car but was just trying to think if there is anything not on a service I could look at / check

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 12/10/24 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, in that case test all the electric toys that you have equipped, definitely check the aircon still works, wheel tracking and pressures? You could go the extra mile and make sure any underbody corrosion is treated, the door/boot hinges are greased. Drainage channels are worth a look as they can cause problems if blocked (particularly from a sunroof or panoramic roof). Is the battery capacity checked as part of the service?
gremlin1234

posted on 13/10/24 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
what else is worth checking

the mot is a good additional check list.

cliftyhanger

posted on 13/10/24 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
what else is worth checking

the mot is a good additional check list.

There is a fairly local garage that does a lot of fixed price stuff.
One service they offer is an MoT and service for about £65. Almost all the service items are part of the MoT, but you get an oil change done and a stamp in the service book. They always try a bit of upselling. Coolant change? Brake fluid change? all that stuff. I used them when we have had cars new enough that I wanted a stamp in the book for resale value, based on the fact the cost was the same as doing my own service. Downside, they always wanted the car for a whole day.

And yes, corrosion. dinks that sort of stuff is often ignored unless serious, but if you know the garage they should advise of anything that may b=need attention in the future.

jacko

posted on 13/10/24 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the input I will have a look round and see if I can find anything
I know I have a nail in one of the tyres to get repaired
G

nick205

posted on 14/10/24 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Things I found garages never did when servicing the car...

1. Renew the cabin air filter (cheap and quick to do)
2. Renew the fuel filter (particularly on diesel cars and again not expensive, be careful doing it though)
3. Check tyre pressures and conditions
4. Check bulb functionality (only seem to check for MOT)
5. If you have a battery in your key fob carry a spare. Modern cars might warn you it's getting flat, older cars don't.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.