Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Another adhesives question
Slimy38

posted on 18/10/24 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Another adhesives question

I'm doing a bit of shopping on car build solutions and happened upon this;

https://www.carbuilder.com/products/weld-in-2-18tpi-threaded-filler-neck

It talks about welding or bonding on to a tube. This got me thinking, what could be used to bond something that is exposed to fuel? Are polyurethane glues like Tigerseal safe for fuel?

nick205

posted on 18/10/24 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
1. Probably my welding's not good enough, but I'd be worried about heat distorting threaded section.

2. Bonding I'd be worried about the fuel (liquid and vapour) and the mechanical strength.

On my fuel tank filler I had a similar looking part with a longer plain section. I used fuel filler hose and fuel hose clamps to secure it to neck of the tank.

Slimy38

posted on 18/10/24 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
1. Probably my welding's not good enough, but I'd be worried about heat distorting threaded section.

2. Bonding I'd be worried about the fuel (liquid and vapour) and the mechanical strength.

On my fuel tank filler I had a similar looking part with a longer plain section. I used fuel filler hose and fuel hose clamps to secure it to neck of the tank.

Hmm, a longer version would make sense. The challenge I have is panel mounting it, but if it's longer then the panel mount collar wouldn't be in contact with fuel and I could use Tigerseal without issues. I appreciate the response, it's got me thinking about other options.

russbost

posted on 18/10/24 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Any good PU adhesive is fuel resistant, just check on manufacturers specs. Siroflex that we always used certainly was

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MikeR

posted on 18/10/24 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Assuming the aluminium tube goes inside the threaded section, thats a massive area that would be bonded and it wouldn't really have any/much fuel touching it. As long as the glue is fuel save i can't imagine their being an issue.
jacko

posted on 18/10/24 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Any good PU adhesive is fuel resistant, just check on manufacturers specs. Siroflex that we always used certainly was

This has surprises me I am sure you are right
but after 30 + years working on bus body’s I car say diesel definitely doesn’t work well with pu glues it breaks the glue and makes a mess
G

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 18/10/24 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Not the same, but petrol attacks silicone. It turns into "gorilla snot"

(I got that from this forum years ago and still remember it)

russbost

posted on 18/10/24 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
quote:
Originally posted by russbost

This has surprises me I am sure you are right
but after 30 + years working on bus body’s I car say diesel definitely doesn’t work well with pu glues it breaks the glue and makes a mess
G

Never used it, but here's a PU that's diesel resistant

linky

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
jacko

posted on 19/10/24 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Russ
That’s a new one to me I will have to remember that for future use
Thankyou for the info
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.