Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: looking to getting back in to motorcycling after 20 years
John G

posted on 24/10/24 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
looking to getting back in to motorcycling after 20 years

As the title says. last had a GPZ 750 R1 in the 80's. Now in E Sussex with some nice roads and am aware of the increase in traffic etc. Any ideas? quite like sports bikes . What to look for and what to avoid. Happy to look at Fireblade era type but any advice welcome.
JoelP

posted on 24/10/24 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
My advice would be to do what you need to enjoy your life to the fullest, but always keep in mind the risks you take. We lost a forum member in a bike accident recently, and he had years of regular experience.

I always fancied a bike, but know I test limits too much for a sports bike.

cliftyhanger

posted on 25/10/24 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John G
As the title says. last had a GPZ 750 R1 in the 80's. Now in E Sussex with some nice roads and am aware of the increase in traffic etc. Any ideas? quite like sports bikes . What to look for and what to avoid. Happy to look at Fireblade era type but any advice welcome.

I hate to break this to you, but the 80s are 40 years ago! Worth a thought re comfort etc.

[Edited on 25/10/24 by cliftyhanger]

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 25/10/24 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Depends what your passion is.
I absolutely loved my GSXR750 (K2), nice balance between power, handling and survivability. Engine willing and bombproof, simple FI, etc. I still have the 813cc engine (race build), from the Westfield, but I just can't bring myself to risk riding another bike. I also still have that silly 300bhp GSXR750 turbo engine in the living room...
My 955 Tiger, also a lovely thing. Comfortable riding position, plenty of low end torque. Sold that simply because of the risk imposed by others.
I went around (and through) Australia on a R1100GS, very reliable, very heavy, but a superb tourer.

I love motorcycles, but yes, I gave up road riding a few years ago. It's just way too risky. Driving standards are appalling these days, way to fast, way too inattentive and a complete indifference to vulnerabilities. Scrolling through screens, driving a 2-3 ton killing machine, oblivious.

Impatient BMW driver just sentenced locally, overtaking a van and slamming head on into a rider. May he rest in peace.

ianhurley20

posted on 25/10/24 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
I used to have bikes back in the very early 70's, Norton 850 Commado in 1973 aged 21. I carried on using them for many years but mortgage etc meant I had to stop owning one. The kids grew up and we had some spare cash - I went back to having a bike. They had got a lot faster so I went for a BMW K100RS. Still very quick but better suited to older age. I got used to bikes again and changed to a Honda Pan European ST 1100. Brilliant bike, in all weathers. But - I was getting older - and didn't fancy bad weather driving. Suddenly I had an attack of common sense! I sold the bike and built a kit car! Yes I like bikes and part of me still fancies one but I have never come off one and had never gone through a speed camera above the limit and didn't want to break that record.
To anyone of mature years I would say have one if you must but realise that they are much faster machines now. Think carefully about just how big a bike you need/want. Those of us who used to ride 650 Triumph Bonnevilles years ago should not expect to be proficient on a modern 600. So take great care choosing the bike you get - or - get a kit car!

Sarah

posted on 25/10/24 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Whereabouts in East Sussex are you? Kent Advanced Motorcycle Group meets at Brands on last Thursday of the month and would be a great way of improving your riding.
Though I think you'll have to see how you get on.
I went 10 years bikeless then bought a new Hayabusa in 2018.
It all comes back

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.